Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lighting router wifi

Jim
Jim Member
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I was wondering if anybody has though of or done hooking rig up so the router is connected  via wiki instead of a cat cable ie Ethernet. I live in the Lighting capital of the world TampaBay Florida. Last year 11 of my hams lost there ham gear  via internet cable coming into the house to the computer..

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I think you mean by "wifi," right? Yes -- it's very do-able. The rig itself doesn't need internet at all, so you can eliminate that path completely if you choose. One CAT cable to the PC. The PC can then run wifi for your internet applications. Some folks have used ethernet to fiber converters to take even that copper path out of the equation. 

Of course, your biggest threat from lightning comes from the antenna connection, and then the power line. Nothing beats a good disconnection for protection. Polyphasers, etc., can help when properly installed, too.

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I connect to my 6300 via Wi-Fi router without any issues. The only caveat is you need a very good signal. 
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you George,
     I will heed  that advice too, when I get the station set up..
    (Still in limbo with remodel)
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Actually Republic of the Congo and Venezuela have more annual lightning hits than Tampa Florida, according to NASA data
  • W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited November 2015
    On lightning, see W8JI's material:

http://www.w8ji.com/lightning.htm

Bottom line: most important factor is to use a grounded single-point entry panel that bonds all wiring including ethernet, antennas, and power at the entry. This prevents damage because all potentials rise and fall together, preventing damaging internal voltage differentials and current flow.

For wireless LAN you can use "wireless bridge" modes. Here's a picture:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Client_Bridge.jpg

Get a router that can run DD-WRT firmware (http://www.dd-wrt.com), load that, and configure it as a "client-bridge" or "repeater-bridge". I've done it many times.

- Les, W9XC

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Been using wi-fi here on the PC for the Flex for a few years. No problems at all with either a 2.4 or 5 gHz connection. Internet speed is plenty fast through a Rosewill (Newegg house brand) USB dongle.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A better alternative to WiFi would be fiber optic cable, if your goal is to electrically isolate the radio (and your computer) from your network cable.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Everyone would be wise to protect their Internet connected high dollar equipment.  Three years ago I lost ALL of my solid state rigs, to the tune of nearly $14,000!  Fortunately, my homeowner's insurance covered all of it but a $500 deductible (check to see if your insurance covers your gear without the need for a special rider - mine did, fortunately).  I had been lucky for the previous 34 years as a Ham.

I can definitely tell everyone that you need to protect your Ethernet devices.  My station took a surge through the CAT5 cabling I have run throughout my QTH.  It was not a direct strike, but rather a surge from nearby lightning.  I had just connected all my solid state radios 2 weeks prior via RS-232 or USB/SignaLink devices.  The surge traveled through my Ethernet wiring, through my shack PC, then out to the RS-232 and USB devices after traveling through the PC's motherboard.

Since I had to buy all new equipment, I now have my Flex 6300 as well as a Kenwood TS-990 connected to my 100 Mb switch through APC brand model PNET1GB surge protectors.  I have USB and/or RS-232 connections to other radios through USB surge protectors, and utilize a USB hub to disconnect ALL USB devices when not in use.  My station is properly grounded now (much better than it was before), including the tower being tied into the rest of the ground system.  Of course I also have surge protectors on ALL antennas/incoming coaxes.

Wi-Fi, fiber-optic, or Ethernet surge protectors are all advisable to isolate Ethernet connected equipment.  The only items I don't protect are low-dollar items like network switches, etc.

Please heed Jim's original post and think about protecting your valuable equipment beyond just the antenna system!

Greg - N8GD

• Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited February 2017
    Do a search on www.ctcu.com
    Look at the part numbers FSW-2104 & FMC10   You will also need the correct fiber interconnect cables.    Then from the FMC converter you can run cat 5 to your flex.   
    Email me direct with any questions..Good on QRZ
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you George,
     I will heed  that advice too, when I get the station set up..
    (Still in limbo with remodel)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.