Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 november update 1511 broke DAX...

13»

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    After Jay provided details of the 1511 update work he performed, I thought I'd have a go also. As expected, DaX broke. I noticed the Device Mgr showed two copies of each channel.  It appears Windows update somehow messed up those drivers. I uninstalled DaX and removed all the devices from the Dev Mgr, including several hidden ones.  Reinstalled Dax driver only (in admin mode) bringing DaX back to life.  FlDigi  was now working with Dax but not CAT.

CAT was more of a challenge. Again, an uninstall and removal of all CaT-TTY devices from the dev mgr and reinstall of VSP didn't work till about the third time (notice the # theme here).  Not sure if it was the magic of three or that the radio was connected at the 3rd try of the install.  Anyway - FLDIGI and SDR working well.

At no point was removal of SDR required or contemplated.  This makes sense (at least to me) since the only driver used by SDR is the OS built-in ethernet.  Other drivers had problems with the update, although the Flex Controller was 100% perfect.  The FC worked right off the bat.

An LG Blue Ray CD driver had to be removed / reinstalled to get working again.  Also noticed some BT devices that use a Com5 / Com6 port are acting up but will leave that for another day.

Good Luck to all who go for it.

k3Tim
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I think it's more about what happens and when.

Windows "Normally??" (As If!), loads drivers and enumerates devices when it's restarted. The 1511 upgrade had no way of knowing that we had all of these software DAX and Com devices that needed special attention. It's better that our devices got ignored, instead of causing the upgrade process to blue screen and leave us with an unbootable mess.

My guess is if someone tried installing SSDR and set it up, with a brand new PC which was already update/graded with 1511. Then SSDR might install as it's supposed/intended too. Thus the need "this" time to start over with a clean slate. Complete removal and reinstall is just an easier/faster way to achieve that.

Does anyone remember  back when Windows used to insist on rebooting nearly anytime you installed software on it. It probably didn't need a reboot, but if it did, well they conned you into a reboot anyway didn't they. This still happens with some driver installs, where you can't use a feature until the driver gets loaded at boot. We could probably improve the Complete Removal and Reinstall SmartSDR document, as soon as we know where to insert the "After step X is complete you must reboot the PC "Now"before proceeding to Step X+1" steps. Every step matters and it matters what order they get done in. Skipping steps just means you might have to start over with step 1. Extra reboots don't hurt.

I just inserted reboot steps anytime a quick check of Device Manager failed to show the expected working devices. I tried to take notes as I went, about where the reboots were needed, but I got impatient the closer I got to finishing up, and the note taking got a little vague. I really hope that these Threshold/Service Pack upgrades aren't always go to end up, similar to running a "Windows Upgrade Disk" Install like this was.

One new feature is, after 1511, we should be able to perform a Clean Install using a valid Win7, 8, 8.1 key during the install so we won't need to install Win7 or Win8.1 first, in order to upgrade and only then validate Win10. Who wants to go first??

Clean Installs are always easiest, and you get the final say about any bloatware installation doing it that way. 

73, Jay - NO5J

• Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited November 2015
    Since I'm currently without a radio (waiting on upgrade to Flex 6500)  I decided to do the upgrade to 1511.  I uninstalled SSDR1.5.1 and DAX first.  I did not uninstall Flex VSP.  The upgrade went okay but after it completed I noticed this:

So I went ahead and uninstalled Flex VSP.  I'll have to wait until my new 6500 arrives to install SSDR 1.5.1 again.  fingers crossed...

Cal/N3CAL
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2020
    Troglodyte that I am, my dedicated SDR-controlling computer will remain as a Win 8 machine with all access for the mobsters from Redmond blocked and locked - no patches, no updates, no Service Packs or Threshold of Pain permitted.

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I hope you don't allow the computer internet access if you aren't keeping it current with updates. It's the quickest way to get your computer infected.
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2016
    You are spot on, Jon. The computer is isolated for the web. I figure if it's not broke, no need to fix (update) it. I sometimes miss QRZ or the DX-Watch on the same system, but can live without them. After all, what did we do before Al Gore invented the Internet? Talk!

However, once the hackers figure a way to get to my computer via the Flex radio and RF my whole isolationist plan falls apart.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ... you forgot : Power Line :-)
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited November 2015
    This is all I get with the Windows 10 November upgrade.  I had to roll back using a system image restore.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.