Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Outbound Internet access from Smartsdr?

Steve G1XOW
Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
edited May 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows

Started SmartSDR 1.51 this morning and my Internet security software pops up asking me to allow outbound internet access from SmartSDR to some unknown destination?

As a computer network engineer of more than 30 years, I am okay with the general principle.

However, I don't recall seeing anything from Flex that says SSDR will use auto-updating or other "live feed" features or any kind of big brother monitoring.

So, time for full disclose please Mr Flex. What exactly is it doing, and what benefit will it be to users?

73, Steve G1XOW

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What was the destination and port it was using ?
  • Mike - N8MSA
    Mike - N8MSA Member
    edited February 2017
    I've monitored Signature traffic a couple of times, and I haven't seen anything that was addressed outside of my LAN. Did your security software show the destination?
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Did it allow you to see if the outbound IP address was your FLEX radio? When I first installed the new Norton suite, it did the same, and pointed to the connection to the radio which it, apparently, didn't recognize as in-network. It provided the IP address.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It does broadcast to allow the UI to detect its presence. Even though it's not routable it is still outbound traffic.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Steve G1XOW - if it is the radio wanting Internet access, it is trying to chime off of an NTP source to set it's internal RTC.  You can always use WireShark to verify.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.