Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AVLC Automatic Volume Limit Control

2»

Comments

• Mike - N8MSA
    Mike - N8MSA Member
    edited February 2017
    I think that having more adjustment is the answer, as the proposed AVLC is really nothing more than an AGC mode.

Mike - N8MSA
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

To me this is a good idea to offer max audio level (for ear protection, not automatic)...why?  

Recently I have been using AGC-T set to "off" so that I can hear some of the very very weak South Pacific DXpeds. They have often been just s0-s1 here on SSB (almost directly over the pole). Turning AGC-T off can make all the difference between just noise and just being able to copy them. Having it on at 100% (fast), or lowered to the noise floor method doesn't achieve the same result. I'd say there is still about 3db more to be had by turning it off in those ultra-weak situations.

So, why is it a problem: well, when you have AGC-T off and working split things are fine and you can squeeze that that last bit of juice out of the flex. As a keen DX chaser, I am used to straining to hear what is going on at the noise floor. But, then some muppet calls on the DX freq at s9+20 without split, and thus blows your eardrums in to the next county. I have actually had this happen twice now, and the result is severe ringing in the ears all day curtesy of some IQ0 not knowing how to use split.

Cheers, Steve G1XOW

• Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Eric,

Your suggestion:

"I think what I would suggest may actually seem counterintuitive.  I would suggest that in order to protect your ears, you actually want to push the weak signals UP to the same limited signal target as the strong signals by turning the AGC-T level UP (rather than setting AGC to off).  You may then need to adjust your Slice volume and/or your master volume down, but I think this will give you the protection you are looking for."

This works for me when listening for weak signals when occasional strong signals occur.

Thanks,
    Ted
    NX6C
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I was thinking what m..ight work it to have a db differential between the noise floor and some value, say 30 db. The value could be set by the user. If the value was exceeded the agc would turn on. You would reset to agc off to reset the limit 73. W9OY
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

The obvious solution is the addition of a AVC (Automatic Volume control), Audio Limiter, Compressor what every you want to call it but it is separate from the AGC-T control.

When I have time I will grab one of my Audio limiters connect it to the Audio output on the back of the flex then out to the speakers and demonstrate how this works and is DIFFERENT FROM USING THE AGC-T CONTROL.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.