Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RMS Express SmartSDR Latency

Ron K2RAS
Ron K2RAS Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have RMS Express loaded and communicating with my 6500 and SmartSDR using Winmor 2K.  A dedicated CAT port is configured in Smart CAT.  The radio is in DIGU mode with AGC off.  Unfortunately no stations are responding to the radio.  The T>R latency is indicating between 300 and 400 ms.  Any idea from the experts what the problem might be?  I have reviewed the posts in this community and the online help and believe that I have set everything up correctly.

Thanks, Ron
K2RAS

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ron, a long latency period is normal for a SDR.
    My WinMOR setup, which works with boxes in Europe follows.
    I have set the session bandwidth to 1600 and left drive level at 100.

Radio settings:

Your CAT and PTT ports may vary.

The sound card tnc shows 372ms latency:

The 6500 is set to DIGU - 5.0K - FAST - DAX1.

This setup works, but I use PACTOR for EMCOMM with
    a FT-897D or FT-857D, where latency is abt. 10 ms.

Alex DH2ID
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ron,
       I will confirm that this latency is normal for the DSP in the 6500..  RMS Express/WImor will tolerate up to 1000 msec latency but it does reduce the through put a somewhat...   I would guess that the  DSP latency in the 6500 might be able to be tuned for ARQ applications, but I would not hold my breath.

AL, K0VM
  • Ron K2RAS
    Ron K2RAS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the assistance,

I got the system up and working.  My connection attempts to 80M/40M RMS Winmor sites seem unreliable, but that may be due to my limited Carolina Windom antenna.  I am still getting a handle on how strong the signal must be relative to other digital modes such as RTTY and PSK31.

Connections to 20M RMS sites seem more reliable, but obviously very slow.  I would hate to send long emails using HF Winmore, much less attachments.

Thanks again,
    Ron
    K2RAS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.