Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 3000 fan noise reduction

g4jnw
g4jnw Member
I would like to replace the fan in my flex 3000 - i have read stories about overheating after doing this but the computer market has moved quickly since they were first built, is it possible to reduce the noise from the fan by replacing it with another but yet still shift as much air so there is no overheating?  If so can someone give me a direct replacement model and make number as i don't want to alter the case as the case is in as new condition.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Being a very small form factor 100W radio with minimal thermal mass, the fans have to move a lot of air to cool internal components.  The factory installed fans in the 3000 have a low noise rating in dB for the required airflow in CFM. You may be able to find a fan that is a few dB lower in volume, but that will not make the radio any quieter due to the volume of air being passed through the cooling plenum (that makes noise too).  Using fans that have a lower CFM rating will be a detriment to cooling the PA transistors and other TRX board components.

You also do not want to modify the case.  The air inputs at the front, draws air over other TRX board components cooling them too.  Punching or cutting holes in the top of the case will interrupt that air flow and degrade the overall cooling efficiency. 

Since the FLEX-3000 has no active user controls on it other than the power switch, I recommend that you move it to a location where the fan noise is not as objectionable.  When I was exclusively using the 3000 for operating and software testing,I placed it under my desk.  That reduced the ambient fan noise enough for me.  Wearing headphones helps too ;-) 
  • g4jnw
    g4jnw Member
    edited March 2017
    Thats fair enough will try that - i have 2 fans going one in the power supply for supplying the 3000 plus the 3000 one, my shack is particularly quiet as I'm using a laptop and its at the back of the house so i guess I'm more sensitive to noise.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Understood. I know it can get a little loud when operating full duty cycle modes or having long QSOs. I remember one person put it in a home-made actively cooled anechoic chamber.
  • g4jnw
    g4jnw Member
    edited June 2016
    mine is noisy without transmitting i.e.; on receive haven't kicked it up to 100w yet!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    In that case you may have a fan that is failing.  You can contact Norbert at our Service Center in Germany.  He may be able to provide you some replacements (replace both at the same time).  They are not hard to install once you figure out how to get the cover off (flip it on its back and make sure you remove the nuts from the 1/4" connectors on the front.  The cover slides forward).  
  • g4jnw
    g4jnw Member
    edited June 2016
    trouble is i don't know how noisy they should be, it may be worth changing the fan can you email me his contact email please. I'm gm4jnw@gmail.com or can i just buy a replacement off the net, if so do you have size and spec i need, i presume they will be plug in computer type its just the flow of air etc i need
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You can contact Norbert at frs-service-eu@t-online.de or  (+49) 4356 1625.

They are plug-in type fans.  it is the dimensions and airflow that are important.  I don't ave that info off the top of my head; I'll try to get it for you.
  • g4jnw
    g4jnw Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks would appreciate that and hold off emailing Norbert as i may be able to get an equivalent 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It is a Dynatron p/n: DF126010_H
    http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=20-72-109&id=50&in=0

The important thing is the CFM rating.  it needs to be at least 24 CFM to compensate for the back pressure and provide adequate cooling.  And do not get one taller than 10mm.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.