Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

transmit audio with d-star?

GI4FZD
GI4FZD Member
I am trying out d-star through an external 2 meter transverter, I notice that  it is recommended to set tx eq  to off, this results in very bassy audio from the pr-781, apart from using different mic is there any way around this?
Thanks for any advice, my head is still melted with reflectors, nodes, repeaters and all that good stuff!!
Paul
gi4fzd

Answers

• Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    I don't have an anwer to your question but I was also thinking of doing the same thing with a transverter and DStar.  Is this transverter a custom build or is it a relatively easy project to get a transverter to work on DStar?

Thanks

Mark
    wa2diy
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Not using the EQ is a consequence of where the waveform modulated and demodulated audio is tapped in the signal chain.  It is already modulated by the time it gets to the EQ.  We are investigating if this can be changed and if so how to do it.

So today, your options are use a different mic that does not have such a low end response as the 781, use and external EQ or talk like a Munchkin ;-)
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    It's talk like a Leprechaun over here, I will try the stock FHM-1
    Thanks Tim
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Mark, I am using one from here   http://transverters-store.com/

, it just need box, connectors and couple of leds and a switch added to it,
    it works very well with the flex 6300.

cheers
    Paul
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes,  I was looking at that one as well.  Sorry for missing the point, but how did you get it to transmit in DStar mode?

Mark
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Running smart sdr 1.5 , loaded the thumbdv waveform, put the thumbdv dongle in one of the usb ports on the back of the 6300 then run the smart sdr waveform program which gets installed on the desktop.then select dstr from the mode dropdown on smartsdr.
    By the way the standard mic works ok with no eq set, I have just worked a station through our local 2 meter d-star repeater.

cheers
    Paul
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    Got it.  I did not know that FLEX supported this on their website as well.  Thanks for the help.

Mark
    wa2diy
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    I have one more question, if you don't mind...I have a 70cm DStar repeater in my neighborhood and am going to get that type of transverter to work DStar from my QTH.  Of course, 6m comes already installed with SmartSDR and it adjusts the tone and offset for that repeater.  How does tone and offset get adjusted using a transverter with SmarSDR  D-Star?

Thanks

Mark
    wa2diy
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi Mark,
     When you select DSTR in the mode dropdown in Smart SDR,  where you would have DSP normally in USB mode, that box will change to OPT where you can set simplex or - or + repeater shift
    ctcss etc the same option as if you were in FM mode. When you run the Smartsdr Dstar Waveform program, you will have the option to choose whether you are working direct or through a repeater. In that program you can load built in repeater and reflector list by country and  chose which repeaters or reflectors you want to work through. If you download the smartsdr waveform from flex and run it up you will see these options..
    Cheers
    Paul
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    I kind of thought that was the way it was set up but before I spent the money I just needed confirmation.

Thanks again.

Mark

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I have just ordered their 70cm version, have you tried any 2m contests with yours? I find that many (cheap) transverters have very poor IMD3 performance and don't handle big signals well?
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've been running 2M DSTAR on my Flex-6300 using my Elecraft XV-144 Transverter.   I've noticed when in the repeater mode using a 600k shift the frequency displayed in SSDR does not change during TX?   It always shows the RX freq.  I would like to see my actual TX freq during TX.  Anyone agree or have comment? 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I just operate mine barefoot...but I would have thought if you are going to run qro ,you might need something a bit more substantial
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    I just noticed this question which...brings me to another question.  I don't have my transverter yet so this may seem a typical newbie question but how do you know what frequency you are actually transmitting when setting the IF frequency, on the FLEX 6300, when using  the Elecraft tranverters?  I saw a comment that the FLEX will transmit up to 31.999 MHz.  What would that translate to on 70cm and 2m?  
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited November 2015
    Hi Mark,

There is a Transverter Tab in the SSDR Radio Setup.  You enter in all your transverter info into that tab.  Then when you select  transverter  under the Band Tab (upper left SSDR tab) SSDR displays the correct frequency ie 2m or 70m depending on which transverter info you have entered.  You can have more than one transverter setup as well.  My only issue that once it's setup when you use a shift for a repeater the SSDR freq displayed does not show the correct freq while transmitting, it stays on the receive freq. 

Cal/N3CAL 
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited November 2015
    My PR-781 sounds too bassy as well.   The best audio reports I've gotten has been with my Radiosport RS60cf headset using a M207 Mic cartridge. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I've seen those and wondered if they are any good. Thanks for the info

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.