Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLDIGI RigCAT files need updated for RTTY mode

Bob N7ZO
Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
The FLDIGI RigCAT files need to be updated to include the new RTTY mode.

On mine, I added RTTY to the MODES section:

<ELEMENT>
                <SYMBOL>RTTY</SYMBOL>

<SIZE>2</SIZE>

<BYTES>33 30</BYTES>

</ELEMENT>

and RTTY to the LSBMODES section:

<STRING>RTTY</STRING>

With these additions, the "QSY" button works correctly and there is no need to press the "Rv" button

Tim, did I miss anything?

73, Bob, N7ZO

Comments

• Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tnx Bob   I was wondering why I had to use Rv
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dave,

FLDIGI assumes USB unless told otherwise, usually by the Rv button.  I did not realize the RigCAT file could also reverse this, but apparently so.

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bob, I just entered those values into my RigCAT file and seems to be working very well!!

muchas gracias,

Dennis, k0eoo
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Great, Bob!!! I've just posted a praise for the new RTTY mode!
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I forgot to mention, the FLDIGI RTTY Sweet Spot should be set to "2210" to match SSDR's default 2125 Hz mark frequency.  This can be found on the Misc/Sweet Spot tab on FLDIGI's configuration dialog.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Could you make these available on the Flex site? It is not obvious on the FLDigi site when particular XML files have been updated.

TIA es 73

Guy
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am thoroughly confused by this latest RTTY mode and the way it should work with FLDigi, my preferred digital modes program - it interfaces with my logging program, Log4OM. I was just about starting out with RTTY on FLDigi the 'regular' way, then FRS goes and brings a dedicated RTTY mode to the table and confuses the issue for me. I have had a few 'me toos' on a post I made expressing similar confusion. Can somebody please explain how I use and tune FLDigi for RTTY now? I am sure it would be useful to not just myself. For example, I did not even know FLDigi had an RTTY Sweet Spot nor what it is for.

Looks like I will have to reduce my morphine doses, upgrade to 1.5 and see if I can figure things out until somebody can clarify.

TIA
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    They were updated on the Fldigi site this morning.
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    Vincent Martin - N5ATM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agree Guy.  I'm confused as well, but nothing new for me.  :)

An updated video...maybe even from Flex, would be wonderful. 
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

I have not used the 1.5 rtty mode yet, but what you used to do to configure your flex SS manually for afsk rtty (digl + manually set the filter) this is now accomplished automatically via the flex rtty mode. Before 1.5 , fldigi would do this for you if you used their .xml file and you had a range of filters to select. With the new commands incorporated into fldigi .xml files for slice A and slice B, your fldigi use should be the same, however, instead of flex being commanded to digl mode, I think it will now display rtty mode (which is just digl mode).

If you set the fldigi sweet spot to 2210 (?) in the config tab, misc tab, sweet spot tab, then to zero beat a rtty sig all you will have to do is click on the mark tone in your panadapter and the rtty sig should be centered for decode.

I hope this helps but please take this with a grain of salt because I have been away from home and have not had the time to upgrade yet.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes, Fldigi needs the RTTY sweetspot set to 2210 when using the standard Mark and shift offsets of 2125 and 170 respectively

Here is the math: Mark + (shift/2) = center of filter
    2125 + (170/2) = 2210
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    Vincent Martin - N5ATM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I went to the fldigi site and downloaded the .xml file, but at the top it reads

"Verified Fldigi Version: 3.22.05 and greater Requires SmartSDR CAT version 1.4.20 or greater XML Version: 1.4.0 Date: 8-Aug-2015". 

This looks like an older file.  Is this the file we should be using and someone just forgot to update the last edit "date" line at the top or is there actually a different "updated" file somewhere I'm not seeing?

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    That is the right one.  If you you are running SmartSDR v1.5.0 the you are running a version of SmartSDR greater than 1.4.20.  The changes were made to the files while we were developing v1.5.0 (versions 1.4.17 up to 1.5.0)
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Whilst it may be obvious to those who made the changes that the files are indeed the latest and correct ones, I do think it would not be amiss to go the extra mile to make it crystal clear to all that they are. To my reading, the XML files were also dated 8th August and also not the latest ones.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    While it may look like an older file it is not.  I am the author of the files and I shall version stamp them based on the minimum version of SmartSDR that is required to use them and date them on the exact date I that they have been tested to be working properly.

Speaking of the "extra mile".  I create and test these files on my own personal time.  They are provided free of charge to all FLEX-6000 owners as a courtesy so that you don't have to figure out the RigCAT interface and create them yourselves.  Your welcome, Guy.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim,

I really appreciate you efforts, please do not get the wrong end of the stick. The only 'extra mile' I was referring to was simply to use that date in the file to make it clear that they are the latest versions - the best way to do that would be to use a date on or about the general release and not a date a good few weeks ago when they were tested to be working. I had to check the contents to see if they were the latest and N5ATM had to post here to ask because of this. I wonder how many other Flex customers would also regard the date in the file as a last modified one and be similarly confused?

That was all I meant and no offence or slight to you was intended. I fully apologise that you got that impression as it was definitely not my intention.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Apology accepted.  Thank you.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2018
    The correct RigCAT XML files for using SmartSDR v1.5.0 are now available from the Fldigi download page.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.