Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WAN a priority?

Options
KD3VK Ken
KD3VK Ken Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in New Ideas
I hope to see WAN a high(er?) priority.    I would like to see at least one 'Me Too' clicked on to feel a little bit validated in wanting to see the Flex provide WAN solution to be moved to THE front burner and (I know I'm dreaming here) delivered this year.  Yes the official answer is next year, but 2013 to 2016 is stressing me out.  You too?
8 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Me too
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

Not stressing me at all - the quality of the software at each release has exceeded expectations, and with the current methods to do a point-to-point VPN/VLAN we already have a radio that does so much.

I also know that with the 1.5 release out that their attention is obviously focused on having 2.0 with WAN up next. 

WAN when it is ready is just fine (now if it is ready earlier than Spring 2016 I'm with you in hoping it is released early).

We know FRS is hinting of perhaps a 1.6 or more pre-2.0 releases, so we may get more features sooner than WAN. 

AM I eager, yes.  Stressed, nah...

Steve K9ZW

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I commented earlier, but it might have been missed. I think if you look at Ethervpn, you could be remoting in a few moments. I just did a simple test and I only had to open 1 port on my firewall for a PC to PC like connection and 2 other ports for an iPad to Flex connection. I know it sounds confusing, but it is pretty straight forward. https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto/9.L2TPIPsec_Setup_Guide_for_SoftEther_VPN_Server/1.Setup_L2TP////IPsec_VPN_Server_on_SoftEther_VPN_Server
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When FlexRadio shared a roadmap with estimated timelines WAN/Internet access to SmartSDR was listed as the major part of 2.0 and a possible target date of early 2016. Unfortunately they received so much negative feedback on 'missing' estimated possible target delivery dates and making adjustments for the release with remote LAN support that they have decided not to provide ETA's.  There is supposed to be a new FlexInsider newsletter released soon which should shed some light on what the next milestones are. The other part to remember is the 2.0 release will be an optional upgrade at a cost.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    While the upgrade path has progressed in "small steps", let's not forget that we are moving in the right direction, and each release has been virtually trouble free. The updates are occurring more frequently than in the early days. Sit back and enjoy your radio!
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I didn't understand the 2013 is 2016 comment, is it some reference to a date Flex made and did not deliver on?
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Unless I'm missing something, Mike doesn't this "softether" link only allow operation from two points?  
    Granted one could setup "softether" connections between more locations but that would get pretty tedious very quickly for someone travelling a lot.
    I operated my TT Omni07 from all over the world where ever I could plug into a broadband connection. It would be nice to do that with the Flex without having to be a network jock.

I agree with Ken, that WAN for many of us is way overdue. 

Delivery in 2016 could very well mean Dec 2016!!

Lloyd
    VE3ERQ
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was confused by your question, but no, it is a simple client/server setup. Just the same as it would be in a future world. Laptop to home PC. Click on the link button on your laptop from any hotel and your are connected. Personally, having the network connection handled outside of SmartSDR may be the better choice, that way you are not loading up SSDR with additional features that only a subset of the community will require. Make sense?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I share Neal's perplex on that. The reason the weather is always on last is that that is the one segment most want. If wan usage is a must have, there has been wan capability for years. I recall a conversation I was with Barry Barnes, pres of amsat in the summer of 2012, how he routinely operated remote with his 5000a.

Besides, Tim just said 2016, that gives us a window of 15 months. I'd say people should expect it before the next president is inaugurated but hope it arrives before football season starts.
  • Andreas Junge
    Andreas Junge Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Anybody with a VPN account can access the "SoftEther" VPN server and operate through the WAN. In my case I use an ASUS RT-N66U which has a built in VPN server that also routes broadcast packets. I have been WAN remote for a few months now since the "Remote" audio feature came out.  So, if one wants to WAN remote, then it can be done today. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @LLoyd Softether works from anywhere. Not two points to point. I run VPN on my iPad or iPhone or MacBook back to the Softether in California.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.