Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexRadio: Simply the Best...

Gerald-K5SDR
Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
The best audio — period.

Don’t believe us? Try it.
flexradio.com/tryit

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Gerald,
    hmmm...was this supposed to be a link to an article or demo about the audio?

It seems to be a  redirect to the shopping cart  http://cart.flexradio.com/

Maybe it should be "buyit" instead of "tryit"  (hi hi).

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW V 1.4.16.63
    SSDR V 1.4.16.142
    Win10

• DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Try what? 
    I would, if I could ;)

VY73
    Thomas
    DK1EY
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Gerald, tried this but the only thing I saw was you trying to sell me a radio. I've already have a 6500. HaHa
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    May be special sales action will be later: if you have flex 6xxx the model below you can purchase at half price ex.: Flex6700->Flex6500
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oops! Ha!
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Guys read at the right corner, where it says "TRY IT!!!!"
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Gerald you know you can do better.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ohhh a 30 day guarantee, nice!!
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    My 5000 got great audio reports, on my 6300 the report is it sounds like I am speaking with my nose pinched. (that was with the stock mike a D-104 was better, not great, better)
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Gee, I went to link thinking it might be a Easter Egg for V 1.5

Lew
    N4CO
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ali, I see it now!

(was expecting an article or demo on "The Best Audio -- Period")

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW V 1.4.16.63
    SSDR V 1.4.16.142
    Win10
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Burt,  I've been able to make the stock mike sound very good.  It is not my go too mike, but it is certainly an acceptable replacement for my heil Proset 5 or my Blue Yeti.  

As far as the D-104, I'm not sure that its impedance is a match for the Flex 6000 and it will not sound very good no matter how you EQ it (unless you rework the impedance within the microphone.)

Gerald said this in another thread ( https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6300_mic_input_circuit_actual_impedance?topic-reply... )
    Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep 
    Official Response
    The microphone inputs are high impedance.  The actual impedance varies by the gain setting of the DVGA in the CODEC.  The minimum impedance at maximum gain is about 5k on the front panel mic and about 3k on the balanced input.  The maximum impedance is over 80k at minimum gain settings.  
    An online resource might be of help to you as the D-104 has an impedance of greater than 1 M-Ohms.

( http://www.internetwork.com/radio/kb1nfs/D104Matcher.htm)

We've all heard fantastic audio reports from those using very inexpensive PC microphone/headsets, so I don't think the issue is with the 6300.  I certainly don't with my 6300.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Try this: Works with my stock handmic and the Pro/HC5 equipped RCA replica from Heil.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn009h1utzmv9zj/Myeq1.jpg?dl=0

Keep in mind that this goes fairly well in MY case to eliminate Nasal reports, and my voice tends to be fairly bassy anyway... Pay particularly close attention to the 1k line.  YMWV hihi.
  • Keith Ferguson
    edited March 2017
    Seems to me to be a pretty impressive offer by a company that's prepared to stand by their product. I haven't noticed any of the other manufacturers offering a 30-day return deal like that.

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Gee, I wonder if this means we will be able to buy refurbished radios at a discount soon? Surely there will be a few people who return them for whatever reason.

Jon...kf2e
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also agree with Sergey, I wish there were an upgrade path from a 6500 to a 6700 other than sell/buy.

Jon...kf2e
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    How could I have missed that?  Perhaps the previous version of the page was in my cache and the new one didn't load the first time I clicked the link.....yeah...that has to be it!  
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Maybe you have struck on a side-business.  Buying and selling used Flex 6000.  It would be a win for you and a win for Flex Radio and a win for those wanting to upgrade..

You could take the US market, Sergey could take the Russian market.  :-)
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Not me, not looking for a business. Just a way to get a 6700 I can afford and still stay married.

Jon...kf2e

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    My post was tongue in cheek.  I can't speak for Flex, but I think that they are in the business of selling new, great, Amateur Radios.   

Microsoft doesn't buy back and resell used software.  Dell doesn't buy back and resell computers.  Icon, Kenwood, and Yaesu do not buy back and resell ham radios.  Why would you float the idea that Flex Radio should?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Simple, if Flex takes back a radio after 30 days they can't sell it as new. Neither can Dell sell a returned computer as new. That's why they have a refurbished store, to sell the returns. Would you be okay buying a Flex 6700 as new if it had been owned by another ham for 30 days before he decided he had to have knobs.

Software is different, most of the time if you install it, you own it, no returns.

Jon...kf2e

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Dell doesn't take computers back after a year(s) of use and resell them.  I might be wrong, but that sounds like what you are asking Flex to do.  Selling an item as "Refurbished" after it has been used for more than 30 day by a customer is not (in my opinion) what a honest company does. 

I personally would much rather that they continue on making and selling great, new hardware and developing new software and not get bog down on a secondary market.  Flex would have to really study to see if doing something like this would ever make them money.  That has to be final calculus.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Jay,

You aren't getting my point. Many companies(and now Flex) sell equipment with an X number of days money back guarantee. All of these companies get some number returned. When they do, they check them out, make sure all of the accessories are there and sell them as refurbished. What else would you have them do with returns? Refurbished can also be items that were returned during warranty for a replacement and subsequently fixed. Refurbished is not new, but checked out by the manufacturer and found good or fixed. Most of the time refurbished items carry the same warranty as new. 

Of course they make great radios, I love my 6500. I just want to be able to afford a 6700.

Jon...kf2e
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The D-104's with the amplifier in the base will easily drive the 5k impedance....  Without the amplifier it requires 1 meg ohm or greater....
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Stock mic just isn't that great.  Tone control on the back can help with the nasal sounds.  First thing I'd do is upgrade the mic.  To me it doesn't make sense to drive a multi-kilobuck radio with a cheap stock mic.  Get a RE20 or RE320 and you'll never look back.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ten-Tec has been offering 30-day return forever.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Had been.  No more, and not for some time.

Not certain that offer was discontinued under their new RKR ownership, or at what stage before.  It dropped off their website over a year ago. (Let Archive.org be your buddy to compare dated captures).

Also TenTec reissued a new warranty policy which has some surprising things like Fans (presume amps and radios) are only warrantied for 90 days no matter how long the main warranty.  Not certain why on a $7000 amplifier where the fans are "mission critical" in protecting the expensive tubes that a grade of fans warrantable for only 90-days would be an acceptable situation? 

Back to FRS, the Try It campaign is not historically unique but is a rare offering that shows confidence in their products.  Some other do offer 10-day 10% restocking fee assessment return policies or similar, but at the present the Try It campaign is a standout.

Steve

K9ZW

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    K0EOO...good info!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Indeed, as Gerald says, The 6000 Series can have the best TX audio out there.  Period.  But it takes a good mike and proper adjustment.

While I use a Heil PR22UT and love it, there are several inexpensive mikes that will perform well, when the TX EQ is properly adjusted for them:
    Here are two examples:

http://www.radioshack.com/unidirectional-dynamic-microphone/3303038.html

http://www.radioshack.com/super-cardioid-dynamic-microphone/3300128.html

The first one, only $19.95, is used by one of my rag-chew buddies, W8MH, on his Flex-3000 and he sounds great. 

The second one is $39.95, and should be even better.  It also has a true XLR connection. 

Good audio does not need to be expensive.
    Yes, if you are an audiophile, and have the funds, you might consider some of the more expensive options out there. Yes, I believe that the difference would be somewhat noticeable, but there is a point of diminishing returns.  The exact point will vary operator to operator.

The key is learning how to properly adjust the audio chain, including TX bandwith, TX EQ, Mike Levels, and Processor.

Ken - NM9P
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Gerald, I would love to take you up on the offer for a thirty day trial but my company had their own announcement this week.  They are going to reduce headcount by 30,000.  It doesn't seem prudent to buy anything other than bread and cheese at the moment.  I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one in this situation and it must be affecting business at Flex as well.  I wish you guys the best.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.