Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remoting to Flex 6500 IP Issues

Kevin Va3KGS
Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
Remoting to Flex 6500 via Ubiquity Routers (AREDN Software) my computer is on one IP string while the flex is on another. I can ping the flex OK, but have no where where I can see how to link the two, or enter it into the flex program. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Assuming you have the graphical interface running on your client computer, you click on the tab in the upper right half that says remote. It should link both the receive and transmit audio to your client computer.

Jim, K6QE

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You can't see your radio unless your client IP is in the same subnet as the Flex's IP.   Out-of-subnet access is considered WAN, and is coming in SSDR 2.x.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

HI Jim 

Tnx for your response.  All I have ever run was the Flex GUI.  Moved the computer to our home a mile away.  Linking the two houses onto the same SSID network.  The Ubiquities at each end are serving out different IPs to the Flex and my remote computer.  I know the Flex IP, and can ping it, so no issues there.  I'm using the internet now typing to you through this remote network.  I'm looking to find a way to enter the Flex assigned IP into the SmartSDR Software.  Also, your mention of the GI above.  Not sure what you are referring to here.  Tnx for your support.  Kevin

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hi Elmer

Was busy typing and playing here with the dog and did not see your post come in.  Thanks for your info.  Who can tell us when SSDR 2.x is going to be released?  Or is this just a wish for those who are asking?  K.

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I will look into how I can get these to units to talk on the same Subnet.  Looking for any ideas is appreciated.  If I figure it out I will post back here.  K.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For the current release the routers need to be in "bridge" mode.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Morning Asher, and thanks for this point.  I will look into it tonight.

Cheers  K.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    They need to get 1.5 out, hopefully this September, then perhaps a few maintenance releases first.  

They are working on v.2.0, but are not going to give any estimated release dates.  Too many folks have interpreted "release estimates" and "target dates" as a firm contract and had anxiety attacks when development took longer than originally estimated.  So now it is as my dad said on long trips..."We'll get there when we get there!"  <grin>

BTW.  You can also experiment with softethernet.  I have had limited success remoting via VPN using this, but am severely limited by my home DSL maximum upload speed of only 765 Kbps.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I highly recommend Softether. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/softether-for-use-as-vpn-for-smart-sdr I recently used it to remote from Greece, Mt Athos and Turkey over 3G phone via my station in La Jolla, CA
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    SoftEther on a raspberry Pi!   I've made a few of these for fellow local Flex hams already, and they are loving it.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I whole-heartedly second that motion!!
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited September 2015
    How about a Flex Ham in Ohio? :) 

I have sonicwalls at my business and at my house, my IT support group can not get the VPN to work... I am thinking of adding a Pi, just not sure how much sonicwall work will have to be done, etc
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Sonic walls are overpriced!  I use pfSense for commercial and personal firewall needs.   SoftEther on a Pi can still be utilized because you port forward a few UDP ports to it and call it a day.   Ping me offline!  Look me up on QRZ
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Try NOMACHINE, works great.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Hi Guy's 

Sorry for leaving everyone hanging on this issue of mine.  Here's the update as of today on what I have been doing. 

Using Ubiquity Bullets connect to TP-Links Dishes about 700meters apart, where the pathway is a forest of trees.  Flashed the two Bullets using AREDN software and setting the channel to -2 (below the public channels).  This is now giving me a great connection. 

In order to operate the Flex6500 software with the radio they need to be on the same subnet.  We experiment with a spare 440Wifi unit I had here, which the two ports it has are programmable.  The combination of these units and tunneling between them we were able to get everything to work over WIFI.  Speed test was done between computer and radio, and we got 8meg/s Up & Dwn, with about 15msec latency. 

Current (as I'm typing this) condition on the Flex Network Diagnostics screen are as follows;

Network Status: Excellent

Latency (RTT):  4ms

Max Latency: 582ms

Remote RX Rate:  76kbps

Remote TX Rate: 0  (because I'm not transmitting)!

Dropped 250 out of 4845400 packets (0.00%)

The radio has been on since 6am this morning (just over 7 hours of running time)

When I get some time, I will post on my website more details of this setup (pictures !!)

Now to get the SteppIR to go remote !!  Used HRD for my rotor control.

Special thanks for my Tech Support guru, Brad Ve3XNC

Cheers and thanks to everyone for your help.

Where is my Maestro, so I can get rid of half of this sh....!!

Kevin

(www.va3kgs.ca)

PS  Using TeamViewer to see what's going on (USB Camera) at the remote end.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.