Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

does anyone have the flex working with DXLabs Commander for WSJT-x???

Having troubles getting the new version of DXLabs Commander to work with WSJT-x.

via the network system with the new version of Commander and Flex Radio communication.

I'm not sure of what to put into the port box.

I was able to get it to change frequency from either Commander of WSDR window but I could not trigger it to send the signal.

And then it would lock up and require a reboot.

Now I get 'Commander: Can't connect to FlexRadio SDR-6500: No response from any network.

But I know this computer is working on the network as I'm writing this message on it.

Any suggestions??/

Answers

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I don't use in a network but with DDutil and VSPM, i set up a few paired virtual comm ports.  Mat ch one pair that links the Flex to the DDutil port (FEATURES, Signature , Port) and then match another pair with Commander and DDutil (PORTS).  THEN if Commander is reading the Flex frequency I know everything will work fine.  Then in WSJT-X, I set the rig type to "Commander".
    Andy K3UK

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Bill,

What version of Commander are you using? If it is one of the betas optimized for the Flex you need to go into commander config and put the IP address of your radio in the address box and put 4992 in the port box. This should solve your commander connect message.

Jon...kf2e
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I tried that Jon, 4992 didn't work for me.
    Is there a formula you must use to determine the port?
    If I click on the 'Net Serv' box, I get a screen saying "Network Service (port 4994) listening."
    If I click the 'Default' box it puts the number 52000 into the entry box.

I've done a lot of reboots and can't seem to find the correct combination of info to put into Commander.
    But lots of identical error messages
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Bill,

I would recommend you post this question in the DXLab group on Yahoo. 

One other thing to try...if you use DDUtil try starting Commander before you start DDUtil.

Jon...kf2e
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited July 2018
    on a suggestion from Jon, KF2E, he said try starting Commander BEFORE starting DDUtil.

That worked....I don't know why, but for two days I've been scratching my head.

THANK YOU JON
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Bill,

If you configure your commander the same as the image below you should be able to start Commander after DDutil. Just make sure you have the right IP for your Flex. It is shown on the radio setup page of SSDR.

Jon...kf2e
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Jon which version of commander you show?
  • Dave Spencer
    Dave Spencer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Bill,

Do you really need to use Commander? I tried that way, but found it overcomplicated things.
    If you didn't know, WSJT-X can be run as a standalone, which I do on my 6500 over the LAN.

Here's my WSJT-X settings:

Hope that helps,

Dave M1SKA
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Hi Sergey,

I am using 11.7.7. I'm not sure if it has been released yet or not.

Jon...kf2e

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I think 11.7.7 is a beta release due in official 11.5 no areas with networks fr Flex SDRs
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Commander 11.7.7 has not been publicly released; it's being tested by ~20 users. This version of Commander interoperates with Flex 6000 radios through the ethernet API, eliminating the need for virtual serial ports and the CAT.exe application. It employs the API's discovery protocol to determine the radio's TCP address, so connection is generally automatic. However, in a small number of cases, Commander does not receiver the radio's "here I am" network broadcasts. To deal with these cases, Commander makes it possible to specify the radio's TCP address; the radio's TCP Port is always 4992. Commander 11.7.7 also provides the option of specifying a radio serial number so that a particular Flex 6000 can be chosen when more than one is available on the network; this enables Commander 11.7.7 to control up to four Flex 6000 radios, switching among them automatically as a function of frequency, or in response to the operator's selection.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Dave, if you "alfaeta" what plan to release this version of Commander?
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I am awaiting confirmation of a defect repair from one user, and documentation of the interlock status message from Flex. After directing a 6000 to change from RX to TX or to change from TX to RX, there's a proscription on issuing certain commands until an interlock status message is received indicating that the change has been made, or not made. I can observe the interlock status messages reported by my 6500 under normal circumstances, but an enumeration of all interlock messages is missing from the API documentation.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thank you for details Dave, clear for now BTW waiting for Commander update
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Both the defect repair confirmation and the information requested from Flex arrived today, so I sent what I hope will be the final test version of Commander to the DXLab/Flex testers.

For any other ethernet API developers, the interlock information is now documented here.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dave, I have used the CI-V Commander for a long time with my
    IC-756PRO, but now - with my hires notebook screen - it looks
    like this and I can't change my screen settings from default
    or all my other programs won't display right:

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    You have Windows configured to display controls with too large a font.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No, Dave, everything is on default 100%. The commander window
    is also way too small on my screen and should be scaleable to a bigger
    size. There are some programs which can do this, as ROS does.
    As I said before, if I would change fonts to say 125%, most of my
    programs wouldn't display right anymore.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Alex, check video driver acceleration options on you machine or change resolution for test different one(just for testing purpose ofcourse) - video driver or monitor INF file issue, i have 5 machines (PC and MAC) where no trouble at all, DXlab suite like AK47 with my LOG always in the OneDrive - semi ready for FullRemote ( just waiting for SSDR 2.0  :-)  )
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I am not suggesting that you change Windows to 125%, Alex. I am suggesting that you return your display to its fully default conditions. As you currently have things configured, button captions and checkbox labels are employing too large a font. Note how much larger they are than the font used in the Main window's title bar. As this is not the DXLab Support Forum, let's continue this discussion on the DXLab Yahoo Group, to which I've sent you an invitation to join.
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Commander version 11.8.0, which interoperates with Flex 6000-series radios via their Ethernet API, is now publicly available via the DXLab Launcher.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dave,

I just upgraded to 11.8.0 with my 6700 and two things I immediately noticed:

1.  Every time I change bands by clicking in SpotCollector, Commander creates a VFO-B on the old band.  (I do not have "Split" or "Dual Receive" checked.)(I also tried unchecking "Create VFO B at startup" on the config panel.)
    2. I cannot set (from SSDR) my CW bandwidth wider than 1kHz.  If I select 3.0k, Commander changes it back to 1.0K

Thank you for converting over to the Ethernet API.
    My email is good on QRZ if you would like to communicate directly.
    73, Bob, N7ZO

Edit:  I changed bands directly in SSDR once or twice and now VFO-B is no longer created on band changes caused by clicking in SpotCollector.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Bob, look at:

BTW
    1. SpotCollector just translate Mode into Commander - check Column Mode in the Spot Collector
    2. Second VFO :
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Sergey,

Strange, I tried entering -1500 and 1500 into the Wide parameters, but I cannot enter a minus sign into the Low-Cut fields.

I understand that SpotCollector has its own Wide setting, but why does this stop me from making other settings in SSDR.  Seems like a problem.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Sergey again,

So perhaps it is SpotCollector setting "Dual Rcv On"?  But why would it leave VFO-B on the band I just left?
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Bob you right I assume you right here, need to mail into yahoo group:

in any way 3khz in CW in not always , will be adopted later on,
    BTW the first logger connected via Flex API
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, compliments to Dave for the first logger suite connected via Flex API.
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks, Bob; I have sent you an invitation to join the DXLab Yahoo Group, the primary venue for reporting defects, requesting enhancements, and seeking assistance. This group gives all DXLab users visibility to reported problems and proposed solutions.

Commander 11.8.0 arbitrarily imposes a maximum CW bandwidth of 1000 Hz. Would 3000 Hz be sufficient? When using CW Skimmer, what mode and bandwidth is typically employed?

I will investigate the "changing bands via SpotCollector causes Commander to create a VFO B on the old band" behavior you report above.

Dave, AA6YQ
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dave,

Moving further DxLab discussion over to the Yahoo DXLab group. (I am already a member.)

This forum should be for discussing the new 1.5 features.  :-)

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Bob, I've found and corrected the defect responsible for the "changing bands via SpotCollector causes Commander to create a VFO B on the old band" behavior you reported on the Flex reflector. After we decide how to resolve the "max bandwidth" issue, I'll send you a new version of Commander that addresses both.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.