Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why folks should appreciate SSDR!

James Whiteway
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
SmartSDR may be far from finished, but it's not THIS far from finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMWcT__7ZpE&feature=youtu.be

And even though it has K1PGV's call in the title of the program, the bad parts are
NOT Peter's doing. I take full responsibility for the content you see.
:-)

james
WD5GWY

2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Sorry for the shaky video. It's tough holding a cellphone steady!

• WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    James, Still... Not bad, for a first 'hack' at an interface. Keep up the good work. You'll get better, as you learn more. 73's Mike
  • Gopro
    Gopro Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Congratulation James for your work,
    but, sorry, you are comparing two fully different things:
    one is your personal amateur work (which is great),
    second is commercial product,still under development, nonetheless selling for big money.
    You see - no comparison.
    Bozidar

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Awesome Work, James! Really great! I'm glad to see that you've got the panadapter drawing issue figured out. Good work! Peter K1PGV
  • James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Mike! "Hack" is my middle name! I have already improved the interface
    for the Winforms version. Mostly cosmetics, but, it does look better. And I am also working on a version in WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation.... just in case you are not familiar with that one) which is the same method  as that used by SSDR.
    It won't look like SSDR, but, will have similar consistency. And, things like the panadapter and waterfall, should be much smoother. But, that one is quite some distance down the road. (bit of trucker humor there!)
    james
    WD5GWY

• James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Thank you Bozidar, I do see what you are talking about. What I am doing is strictly personal. A learning experience. In this case, relearning C Sharp. And working with
    asynchronous, live events. And having fun and a bit of frustration along the way.
    james
    WD5GWY

• James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Much appreciated Peter! Had it not been for your kick start example you posted several months ago, I doubt I would even be this far along. Just getting responses from different events helped me get started. So, I really do have you to thank for that post and several others that you added, that got me started in the right direction.
    I did change one thing, (and you said it should be changed) I set "check for illegal cross threads" to True, in the Form Load event. That has helped a lot. It lets me know immediately if something I'm doing is going to cause threading issues!
    Also, I've been learning more and more about Threading and Thread Safety.
    And working with this type of application, threading is mandatory. More so, if I want to have things like the Panadapter and Waterfall, plus S Meter etc. work properly. (if at all)
        My problems with drawing the Panadapter were solved when Eric pointed out a couple of issues I was having. I was not subscribing to the Panadapter events properly and also, I found out that, even though the Presistance  Database works, that currently, you have to set the Panadapter Size property in order to get the radio to fire the DataReady event and send the data array to your client. (that one is actually an issue in Flexlib, but, it is supposed to be corrected) Same thing for the Waterfall, the radio will not fire the DataReady event for the Waterfall, (on startup) without first setting the Waterfall's Size property. (this is for the initial Panadapter and Waterall. Additional Panadapters and Waterfalls, seems to fire the DataReady events just fine)
    Again, thank you for all your help and for the encouraging words.
    james
    WD5GWY

• James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Here's a look at a nicer version of the test application:

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Impressive. Keep up the good work.
  • James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Howard!
    james

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.