Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are we calling our Flex-6000s incorrectly? (Mine are Flex-6700-1.4.16 and Flex-6300-1.4.16 as I writ

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas

Problem:  Articles and Posts live on where our radios are being updated.  While the Hardware is Static the SmartSDR software is redefining our radio (the SDR promise) enough that an old review is irrelevant to current operations.

Suggestion:  Add the software version to the way we identify our radios when writing about them, adding more description if additional clarity is needed for non-standard software.

Examples: 

Today (September 4th 2015) I would describe my two radios as a Flex-6700-1.4.16 and a Flex-6300-1.4.16 

If a hypothetical SmartSDR version 1.5.9 launch next week I would write about my Flex-6700-1.5.9 and Flex-6300-1.5.9 once I've upgraded.

If I were running Don's dogparkSDR 0.88 (from a few days ago) and was current to the SmartSDR 1.4.16 updates I could describe what I am reviewing as a Flex-6700-1.4.16-DP0.88 or a Flex-6300-1.4.16-DP0.88 respectively.

Similar informal suffixes could be used to identify significant ad-in modules when they are offered and Alpha/Beta versions.

Sure would reduce confusion, but at the expense of a longer clunky naming convention.

Thoughts?

Steve K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Comments

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

I don't see it as long and clunky at all. I spent many decades in cardio x-ray and as long as we had SW we HAD to call out the name (model) of machine and the SW it ran. It can make a big difference in what you are working on.

I'm in favor!        73, Jim

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The user software is different than the firmware revision, so you could be running a 6700 1.5.9 (for example) with SSDR 1.5.9, DPSDR 1.01, K6TU, or whatever client you like without affecting the radio definition. Identifying by make and firmware rev makes sense. Adding the client version is also helpful, for sure. Just happens that SSDR versions and firmware have tracked so far. No reason they have to (AFAIK).
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

As users I don't think we can control the firmware level to be used, with each SmartSDR level requiring a minimum firmware level or asking us to update?

As you point out if we gain control over firmware levels we should not it IF the different levels affect the performance and feature set independently of the SmartSDR level.

Would you think than otherwise we could just use the SmartSDR release version number?

Steve

K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    I am more than OK listing the software version number, as a matter of fact I ask for this a lot.  For the radio model, when posting, make sure you select the proper category tag for your radio.  This way you can shorten your version string.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Was there a requested data set of posts when the community started?  Something like asking the model, software level, and operating system with some computer details?

Outside of this community, and arguably for the benefit of search engines (both community and external), using a consistent format might help?

Obviously in writing outside of the community the longer version would be helpful.

Steve K9ZW

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Or, maybe when it gets released it gets a release series number and
    a letter.   1A, 1B....  2A.... etc.

Ned,  K1NJ   
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In the early days (2 years ago) I was in the habit of having a tag line that included my rig, software version, and computer OS version with every major post.  Many others did the same.  But I have gotten a bit lazy and have ceased the habit.  (I have noticed that others have as well.)

I think it would be very helpful to include this information if for no other reason than to reduce confusion when reading older posts.  (I have seen people responding to problem posts that were two years old when the problems were long-past solved by subsequent software releases.)

Perhaps we should give it a try.

Ken - NM9P
    6500 V.1.4.16.63
    Win 10
  • Ben Laws
    Ben Laws Member
    edited September 2015
    Great idea!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just updated my tag line in "My Function Keys" program.   Great little program for automating text entry.    

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - SSDR V1.4.16.63
    Win10
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The world doesn't work this way. Yes, when filling out a problem report.  But in routine conversation, no.  This includes going to the community and seeing if the problem is simple or easily worked around. We need simple, easy to understand naming.  We need to streamline the conversation.  If you know it is relevant (like, discussing many slices or the front end filtering) then it's nice to say 6700 instead of 6000.  If you know it is software, then it is nice to add the version.  If you don't, just get started with "the 6000 series" and see what happens. If people need to know more, they'll ask for it.  But, they'll ask for the relevant bit.  Sometimes, they won't ask for both.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Quite so. I can see a day (not to far off) that I have a firmware version loaded but don't use SSDR. That software may or may not require a particular version of the firmware to run, so I think it's a good idea to share both data.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

The distinction between casual conversation and posting/reviews/podcasts is important - thank you!

Where the improvement would be most useful is anything that lives on in print or on the internet. 

I think we have all seen questions asked here that come from the earliest months of the Signature Series, but somehow were refreshed or lost their date stamp - which left someone thinking it was current information.

We're leaving a legacy on the net that is unclear and in some cases will bring up answered questions and imagined current but actually long resolved questions over and over.

We need to make things clear or risk compounding this problem over time (not to mention ambiguity feeds trolls and sock puppets).

Steve K9ZW

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The previous Flexradio email mail list provided timestamps, but we could just add a time stamp into a tagline, which might help.
    73, Jay - NO5J 
    posted 09/04/15 19:24:45 UTCimage
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay,
    Is there a way to include a tag (html. etc) to automatically include the timestamp or did you enter it manually?  If there is a tag, I can add it to my Fkey setup.  I just press one key to get all 5 lines of the tag below and wouldn't want to have to manually type the timestamp. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW V 1.4.16.63
    SSDR V 1.4.16.142
    Win10
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Al 
    No i just looked at the clock and typed it in but I'll look for some sort of hot-key macro that can paste it.
    It should be possible I've just never tried to set it up before. When I get it working I'll email you the solution, and post it here if it's appropriate.

Just realized the system clock in my bios is set to local time not UTC So I'll need to script in the timezone conversions, I'd like to see if its possible to compile this to a standalone executable that can be run from a desktop shortcut, so that starting it will copy a user editable signature/tagline and the current timestamp in UTC to the clipboard for pasting into community posts. So add the rest of the weekend to to the creation time frame, while I rediscover how win10 API returns system time to a script. I'll admit any failure in doing this, sometime tuesday. I also hope it doesn't end being Win10 compatible only. I know there are other apps and programs that already do this. Some might even be free. Mine if it works will be free too.

73, Jay - NO5J
    Last edited: 2015-09-05 - 02:32:58 UTC
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    As of Sunday evening I've made very little progress, what seemed like it ought to be an easy Autoit script got a lot more difficult than I expected. I still want to do something like this, but I don't know how to do it yet.

Call it a fail on my part for now. When I get something that will load the clipboard with a timestamped signature tagline, I'll find this bookmarked thread and share whatever it turns out to be. But it won't be ready in the next 2 days. 

Sorry if i've wasted anyones time waiting for it.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jay,
    No problem.  When entering comments there is a feature that lets you embed various HTML tags including one for inline code.   (see snapshot below) Some of the supported tags are clear but not any info on the "code tag" that seems promising.   I posted a question on the GetSat community but no replies so far.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW V 1.4.16.63
    SSDR V 1.4.16.142
    Win10
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Is there an OSX widget something like this? Think formipad use. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Al 
    I've done the taglines using embedded html tags, in the past that i just copy pasted in. but i don't know of an html tag that will insert system time. I'd expect you could script in that function into the pasted html but that's another "don't know how" at the present time. AutoIt can generate the the entire tag and timestamp and place it in the clipboard with the click of shortcut then just right click and paste. but I'm after a standalone that would allow you to enter and format the tagline/signature, store that and then add the current timestamp to it. I don't want anyone to have to edit the tag/sig in an .ini file, in order to use it. I discovered this morning that a lot of the trouble I was having was caused by what Windows 10 did to my existing AutoIt installation. I've got that fixed now, but there's still some more re-education required. image

I'll keep slugging away at it.

73, Jay - NO5J   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.