Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will version 1.5 have a completed multimode squelch

2»

Answers

• Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Please answer so im clear on my understanding, SSB will eventually have Squelch, Right?
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Steve - I can see it both ways. (Squelch with FDV) I don't think Flex (or the FreeDV project) needs to decide whether FDV users "should" use squelch.  Provide it (if it's not too expensive) and let users figure out the etiquette. 

A glance at the panafall actually works pretty well to tell if the channel is active. "Listen before transmit" is a basic ham principle, but it doesn't mean my shack needs to suffer an open audio channel all day when I'm waiting for some FDV activity.  Same logic as with FM channels.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The only difference that comes into play is that a signal level squelch would open whenever there is ANY signal on the frequency. Whereas a FDV squelch would open only when a DIGITAL signal is on frequency, giving users a false indication of a clear frequency. As a person who occasionally dabbles in SSTV, EasyPAL, and FDV, I have seen the abuses run both ways on all three "reserved" frequencies.... People firing up SSB on top of the digital modes as if they won't bother them because they are t "voice" modes... And I have seen people just fire up SSTV on top of SSB qso's that were on "their" frequency as if they were intruders that deserved no respect. Even so... I would support a selectable option. We probably shouldn't try to idiot-proof the rig too much, or lots of good users will find their experience limited too much because of fear of the idiots..... Ken-NM9P
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Why would anyone use SSTV, 2 minutes to send a picture of Mickey Mouse?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I am closing this question because it has been asked and answered; SmartSDR v1.5.0 will not have any additional squelch features of improvements..  Any additional discussions on future Squelch implementations should be submitted as Idea posts.  Any issues on the current implementation of FM squelch needs to be added as a Problem post.  Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.