Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Softether - no waterfall showing

Mike va3mw
Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
For those of you using Softether for your remote connection, have any of you had SmartSDR functioning, but no panadapter or waterfall showing? I know that TCP 4992 UDP 4991-4999 are the ports that SmartSDR uses, and I have the VPN setup to access my entire subnet with no restrictions. It is seems like ports 4991-4999 aren't making it into the tunnel. Mike va3mw

Answers

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    No trouble here, but I'm using port 5555.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Doug, Port 5555 is for the initial connection and all the data runs 'tunneled' through that port. On the other end, it is unpackaged so that it is back on those ports I mentioned. But, let me ask, you didn't do anything special other than the basic setup, correct? Mike
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    No, pretty much the stock installation. If you have a good high speed connection the panadapter and waterfall looks great. 
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I use native Windows PPTP to a PPTP VPN server at home in the router. It works better on some networks and not as well on others. The first indication is the same as described above, no panadapter, waterfall or audio.

On my Verizon hotspot it usually works better than at McDonald's on their WiFi.

In general I've blamed my upload limit at home of 768 Kbits/Sec. but that doesn't explain why it works sometimes & not other times.

Slowing the Frames Per Second & Waterfall Update Rate helps but doesn't eliminate the problem all of the time.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't think it is a bandwidth issue. I have 4M up and I can see running iftop on my firewall that it uses less than 1M normally. It sounds like a firewall issue, but I am not sure exactly where it is happening. Time to dig out wireshark I guess.
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have 30 MBits up and down with a fiber service, however depending on network load, I can still have problems. The audio stops and/or the panadapter quits and starts in spurts. The latest 6000 series software includes a bar graph and a pop up giving you an error count.  I need all bars to be green.  Things start going bad when the yellow bars appear and when they turn red you can forget it.  What color are your bars when this happens?
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Here it's pretty much as you describe it. The quality bars appear to track latency. Latency seems to track bandwidth available versus update speeds of the waterfall and to a lesser degree the refresh speed of the panadapter.

Within my LAN a 2.4 GHz. WiFi connection plus a 2.4 GHz. Bluetooth mouse connection interfere with one another exhibiting the same problem. This has led to my initial conclusion that there is a bandwidth component to this or at least a latency issue. When I switch the WiFi to 5 GHz, the problem goes away . The LAN removes my limited 768 upload from the equation.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What I can't figure out is if this a flex 'throttling' issue or something else.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.