Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5000a and 1500 on One PC

Hi There! 

I will be adding a 5000a to any existing I7 pc that currently has my 1500 on it.  I will be adding a PCIe Firewirecard to this PC.  I will be using a SIIG TI PCIe card. I am curious if the 2 will play OK together (on the same PC, more than likely not at the same time)!! 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

73, Brian WD9HSY

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    Yes.  Please see the PowerSDR release notes for the one caveat in using a Firewire FLEX SDR (3000 & 5000) with a 1500 on the same PC.  There is a specific power up sequence that must be observed.
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    Brian Bedoe WD9HSY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response, I am reading the app notes now. 

Being that I have PwrSDR already up and running for the 1500, will I have to do a complete reload of PwrSDR or will the software recognize it needs more files for the 5000a and take what it needs from the CD?  ...... I don't want to **** up the settings for the 1500, FLdigi, K9DUR voice stuff and the VAC settings as I set up for the 5000

.... One other question, can I tell anything about the radio based on the serial number, for example age, original software/firmware and the like?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Just shut down the 1500.  Power on the 5000 so that the Firewire driver load and then start PowerSDR.  No need to reload anything.

From the serial number you can tell when it was manufactured.  Share the serial number and I can tell you when it was made.  And the 5000 will get the latest firmware when you run PowerSDR 2.7.2 with it.
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    edited August 2015
    On my 5000a, 2108-2332
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    edited August 2015

Let me guess, the 21st week of 2008....

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Look at the first set of numbers; 2108.  This indicates it was manufactured during the 21st week of 2008.
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Tim as always ..... I think our post passed each other on the net.....
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes, they did
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    edited September 2015

Hi Tim!

Thanks for the help!  BTW, I received the 5000A and its up and running, but a silly question ....PSDR is showing a different serial number for the 5000 than what is on the radio?

PSDR got it right for the my 1500, no problem, but the 5000a was marked 2108 and is PSDR is showing 4107.....

I am not really worrying about it, just curious, any idea for a possible cause? Repair? New Board? Software Glitch?

Thanks Tim!

73, Brian

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    but a silly question ....PSDR is showing a different serial number for the 5000 than what is on the radio?

How different?  Same format (xxxx-xxxx) but with different numbers?

What are the two serial numbers?
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    edited September 2015

Hi Tim, the 5000a is labeled on the back of the unit 2108-2332

PSDR and the General tab says 4507-5180, TRX 4307-3253 26H,  pa 4407-2182 28F, RFIO 4407-1076 34a, and ATU Present.....

BTW everything seems OK with 5000a, except I am hearing WLS Radio (890 AM Clear Channel 50KW 4.5 miles away from me)  so I am checking Grounds and anything loose around the shack....

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    First the SN issue.  There are two ways this can happen.  A different back panel was put on your radio and the label was not updated or the serial number was changed in service (not likely).  Based on the TRX and PA serial numbers, the 4507-5180 serial number looks to be the proper one.  The back panel SN makes the radio look 7 months newer than it is.  I can tell you that you have one of the first 5000s ever made - definitely in the first production run.  It is a classic!

In the WLS "issue" I strongly suspect that the WLS signal is mixing with your signal of interest in the 5000's mixer and you are seeing mixing intermodulation products.  No amount of ferrites will solve this issue because it is not RFI.  You are going to need a stout BCI filter and use it in the RX Loop to remove the WLS signal before it gets to the mixer. 
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    edited September 2015

Tim,

1ST Run?  Is that like buying a car made on a Monday? Hi Hi (My Dad worked for the United Auto Workers) The 5000 is playing just fine...

I had BCB Filter less than a month ago, but after having no problems with the  1500,  I sold it to a friend ..... I just ordered another one!

Oh Well!

73, Brian WD9HSY

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Well I don't know about the "made on a Monday" factor, but my 5000 (#19) has run flawlessly since early 2007 and I use it daily, granted mostly as a spectrum analyzer, but it is used none the less.

I will say that it is never a bad idea to have a factory "tune up" of any radio that is more than 5 years old.  Component tolerances change and there may be some ECOs (engineering change orders) that should be applied to get it in tip top performance shape.  The full recalibration we do on all radios that come in for service is also well worth it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.