Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

LAN WAN remote operation made simple

Rob G6EIH
Rob G6EIH Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Easy LAN WAN on various Operating systems

Only had my 6300 just over a week or so and I guess I should have looked at the spec a little more before jumping into the deep end, for some reason I thought it was enabled for WAN access, my mistake it's LAN access unless you want to jump through all kind of hoops.

My understanding on here is that it should be working in V2

I'm 75% MAC equipment here and I was doing some research for MAC remote login software. Yes I have tried RDP (no audio), Teamviewer etc and while they do work however my latest find is even better as it streams input and output audio right out of the box, I have also tried Radmin for Windows and again audio processing is not very good.

Found this software "No Machine nx" https://www.nomachine.com/download and it works great on IOS, Windows, Linux, and Andriod, how simple it just works without a load of technical know how. I have it running on all my machines MBP, Ipad mini (latest) Ipad (original), W7 W8 W10 and even WMWare Fusion W7. It's a 5 minute install on each machine and don't forget to enable the mic input, I use a static IP address for WAN op's but you can easy get a free IP static address, just google it.

You can see from the clip I have it running on an old Toshiba laptop and also on my MBP  remote WAN IP) at the same time, the eagle eyed among you will see my network connection is not good and I will fix this in the next few days as it's just local issues.

Rob G6EIH

Have fun.

Sorry the clip is not great and it does show SmartSDR running on the Tosh and MBP (remote) at the same time.

https://youtu.be/HtHGV-hCp94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHGV-hCp94

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

There has been considerable discussion regarding remoting the 6000 series over a WAN. The consensus of  the best way to accomplish this is using a Virtual Private Network which effectively connects a remote computer to the LAN of which the Flex radio is attached. Softether is a very effective program which accomplishes this task very easily.

Jim, K6QE

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Yea I looked at Softether and it appears to be all Windows, what I was looking for was a way to use my Mac Book Pro or Ipad to access the Flex client. No Machine is free and also runs on Ios, Linux, Windows and Android which should be good for a lot of folks who simply want to trawl the bands while out and about. It may not be the preferred way however it works and our hobby is all about experimenting with new ways to get thing done. I will be trying Softether when time permits but for now No Machine does the job.

Thanks for the pointer Jim.

Looking forward to FRS getting WAN implemented on the 6000 series soon, keep up the great work at FRS.

Rob G6EIH

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Of course Softether Server runs on a MAC http://www.softether-download.com/en.aspx?product=softether And there is a MAC Client too FYI much of my contacts are via iPad remote
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Howard, I'll be checking that out when time permits.

Rob G6EIH
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Rob, I saw your post regarding NoMachine and tried out the software over a "slow" DSL link to my remote station using PowerSDR and a Flex 5000. My initial tests look very favorable. The NoMachine client utilizes a robust remote display system coupled with an Opus based audio codec for great high fidelity audio. All parameters such as display and audio quality are fully adjustable. I have a dedicated IPSec VPN between the remote station and my control position but it looks like the NoMachine system is UPNP compatible and can automatically transverse a consumer router if UPNP is enabled. Best two things is that the software is free and seamlessly interfaces the audio with the display between a Windows 10 computer running PowerSDR and a Windows 10 or IPad tablet. There are clients for Windows, MAC, IOS and Android from what I see. Kudos to you for posting! Carmine W1EQX
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Glad you like it and thanks for your kind reply, finding something so simple that just works out of the box these days is great and as you mentioned free.
    I can already see it will be very useful to me in many other areas.

Rob G6EIH
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I must be odd man out. I have nomachine working on all my machines ( 2 win10, 1 win7 and 2 ipads).  When I say working, the cat portion is working great, but for the life of me, I cannot get audio to the remote computers. I have tried mic enable and disable. I can see audio on the station computer on line2 where it should be but not on any remotes.  I am missing something probably very simple (isnt that always the case). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marty W8AKS

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Marty

Once installed NM it routes the audio to the remote connected machine which becomes the default audio device, if you hit the Remote button top right in SSDR it will fire up providing your volume controls are not muted.

I had a problem on my iPad last night, went through all kind of things looking for problems, I forgot I had muted the volume on the iPad all working good now.

Rob G6EIH
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Rob, but still have a little problem. Running PSDR with a 5000a, so no remote button to push.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @Marty.

PowerSDR has no built in remote capability. If you want to remote suggest you run a terminal emulator such as teamviewer on your remote system.
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I will provide some screen shots of my Flex 5000 remote setup using NoMachine later today. The NoMachine setup does force a virtual audio device when in a remote session to send and receive audio. You need to use a mobile device based client to have the audio function from what I remember. A mobile device client can be a iPhone, iPad and so on...Not a PC based laptop or desktop computer.

Carmine
    W1EQX
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Howard, I think I've ran every remote program out there including parallel and splashtop. I liked this one because of the cross platform. Used teamviewer with remaudio for long time but remaudio is a no go under win10.
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Carmine, looking forward to them. Then maybe I can straight this one.
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Here are the screenshots of my Flex-5000 audio setup using NoMachine. Audio does indeed work bi-directionally on Windows 10 as a "server" (running PowerSDR) and a Windows 10 PC as a "client". The audio also works on a iPhone and iPad client too. I was confusing NoMachine software with Parallels Access. My mistake. Parallels does not allow audio on a non-mobile OS like Windows or Mac. My setup has the two computers linked together via over a 135 mile Internet connection.

Carmine
    W1EQX

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Good to see it works with PowerSDR :-)
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Installed NO MACHINE on my Windows and IOS computers and it works very well. The more I look at it, this is a RDP (Remote Desktop Program). The caveat is that it works without question on cross platform.
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    It's also free and no subscription needed.

Rob G6EIH
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I have been using Teamviewer for quite some time now both IOS and Windows and have been very happy with it. However on a PC platform I love VPN with Softether. What is it about NO Maching you find better than Teamviewer? It seems the RDP programs are more of a matter of personal taste rather than one program being superior over another.

• Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited January 2016
    I suspect this would work with ffflexx 3k the same!? Have one at my remote shack but not removed it yet.
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Jim, it’s cross platform and I like it because it’s really simple to install and use, no need to forward ports and it traverses our corporate system with ease, I do use it in the office boss & time permitting. (I am the boss so not a problem)
    Audio streaming is good quality and the interface is also very easy to use.
    I travel a lot and its great to be able have my base station available when on the road via 4G and iPad. I also use Microsoft RDP for other business needs simply because I like it and as you mentioned all these systems are down to personal choice and needs. If whatever your using works for you and fulfills your needs stick with it, you know what’s often said “if it’s not broken don’t mend it”

Over the years I have used VNC, VPN, RDP, Radmin, Teamviewer and a host of others, No Machine is free a very simple install and you are up and running in minutes.

Rob G6EIH

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

I'll have to give it a try. You sound very enthusiastic about it so you have my curiosity up. Thanks and 73,

Jim, K6QE

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The audio is much richer.
  • Phill Beistel
    Phill Beistel Member
    edited January 2019
    NoMachine just plain works. I have had good results with windows10 laptop and Android tablet and it's easy and it just works.
    Good Find!
    Phill (WB3DHF)
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Exactly what I thought when I tried it out, still using it daily.

73 Rob G6EIH
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    NoMachine is very versatile in many ways. Multiple OS support - the iPad client version is my favorite. Other nice features is that you can vary the display quality and audio fidelity over a range to suit your bandwidth and needs. I have very successfully used my Flex 5000 over a "slow" DSL connection (680k outbound connection from the Windows PC controlling the Flex) by reducing the quality of the video a bit (still looks good but somewhat blurry on the spectrum display) and saving the bandwidth for high quality bi-directional audio. The Opus based audio codec is broadcast quality and can be varied from CD quality down to "telephone" quality as needed to shave off the bandwidth used. All this for a great price - free!

Carmine
    W1EQX
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello Guys,
    having trouble getting No Machine to connect. Keep getting a time out error. Think I am following setup right, but keep getting time error message.
     Been using teamview and its working fb. But for some reason can't get no machine to work.
    Running window 10 here on both pc's.
    WhenI open my laptop to connect to my main Pc, I see the manin pc, but when I try to connect, no luck. I even typed in the ip add. for the main pc. Old guy needs a little help.....

Don...w2xb
    flex 6500  sdr 1.4.16

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.