Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Contest Configuration

Asher - K0AU
Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Contesting
It’s that time of year.  Time to think about contest season configuration.  I've run my Flex in a custom LAN Remote setup since I got it two years ago. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6673719/K0AU%20Block%20Diagram%20v2.0.pdf

Figures 1 and 2 show my hardware.  I use the RemoteRig RRC1258 boxes for remote audio and keying.  For remote serial ports I use Moxa serial servers.

Figure 3 shows my everyday DXLabs configuration. 

Figure 4 shows my N1MM+ CW contest logging configuration.   Last year I found the Flex remote CWX feature doesn’t support the ESC key to stop sending.  I added a remote K1EL Winkeyer to resolve the problem.  However this configuration means I can’t use the Flex LAN Remote audio feature, because it doesn’t carry CW sidetone.  So stuck with the RemoteRig boxes for now.  Fortunately I like the paddle keyer in the RR box.  Not shown: an old numeric keypad and Hotkey Manager that handles the exchanges.  I operate with the right hand on the FlexControl, the left hand on the numeric keypad and jump to the keyboard in the middle to type in call signs.

Figure 5 shows my understanding of a Maestro configuration.  I’m not clear if it coexists with SSDR, but I don’t see the utility in my station until it does.

Figure 6 shows my experiments with CW Skimmer.  I found it to be fragile and not well integrated with other tools.

What about DDUtil?  I’ve dabbled with DDUtil but haven’t found it solves any problems I really have.  There are enough fans around I’d like someone to explain how it would make my life better.

I need to experiment a bit with LAN Remote for SSB contesting.  Does anyone know how N1MM+ voice keyer audio and LAN Remote audio work together?

We’ve heard from the Dayton announcements that Flex is focusing on contest workflow.  It would be great to see a block diagram of how they anticipate the various software packages will integrate and how they will talk to some of the semi-announced 4O3A accessories.  Would love to hear if anyone has better ways to configure and run their Flex stations.

Answers

• Tim Hill - KI6LSB
    edited November 2015
    Hi Asher, nice post, how do you like the OB9-5 and do you have a Alpha 9500 and what Expert Amp. do you have?

Thanks
    Tim Hill - KI6LSB
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I like the OB9-5 a lot.  Extremely well designed and well built.   Optibeam's Tom DF2BO is incredibly responsive and helpful.  SIde benefit with the Flex is I can monitor multiple bands.

• Tim Hill - KI6LSB
    edited November 2015
    I have a OB9-5 just got it all put together and it is going up next Wednesday, Tom is a great Guy and help me alot.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.