Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Where is SmartSDR v1.4.20?

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am hearing rumors that the NB has been fixed. Is this true?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Often, I have  wondered if it would be possible to use a phasing method of eliminating noise similar to the MFJ 1026 noise cancellor except it would be accomplished with software automatically setting levels and phase reversal. However, think such an idea would be possible only with the 6700 because a second receive antenna would be needed.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I have thought about this as well. It would be a reason to upgrade my 6500 to a 6700.

Jon...kf2e
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

The ubiquitous power line leakage is the bane of my existence. I live in Pasadena, CA and for many years my noise floor was around -120 dBm. Suddenly one day it jumped to -100 dBm and that constant noise took the fun out of ham radio until is set up a remote at my cabin 100 miles east of me in Big Bear Lake. Later, I tried the MFJ 1026 and sure enough, with careful adjustment, I was able to null this noise back to around -120 dBm. It was at that time I realized that such a method of noise reduction would be very possible with the 6700.

Jiim, K6QE

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Make sure to visit ‪#‎FlexRadio‬ at the Huntsville August 15-16 for a big announcement. http://www.hamfest.org/
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tease!

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

I found the MFJ unit very effective but only under certain conditions:

1. The secondary antenna should point to the source of noise and the noise to signal ratio should be greater than the noise to signal ratio of the main receiving antenna. That way more noise can be nulled out than the desired signal.

2. If the noise coming from the power pegs radiate on the power lines then it is very difficult to get any null as the noise to signal ratio stays the same on both antennas and it becomes impossible for the circuit null only the noise.

Bottom line is this type of noise cancellation works if the noise comes from a specific location and the secondary antenna will contain more noise than the primary antenna.

I am very interested in other techniques that can be used to eliminate this type of noise. Perhaps it has regularities than can be identified and removed with DSP techniques.

Jim, K6QE

• Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Any comments about new noise blanker as "Huntsville" is over.
    Was it something worth to expect?
    I am looking forward to hearing any information about the new functions and software updates.

de JI1BNU
    ken Yamada
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Is there any reason to expect a different announcement vehicle than a Flex Insider engineering article from Steve and a marketing article from Gerald? That's how they've done it for the last two years. Boxboro is this coming weekend, maybe it'll be timed for then... or it will arrive when it arrives. Sounds like maybe the NDA system has broken down.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Looking around, some things just happen to pop up.

For example, N1MM RevisionHistory shows:
    Version 1.0.5061 (August 4, 2015)
    Flex 6000 Series: Added RTTY mode, default digital wide filter 400Hz, and default digital narrow filter 300Hz. Released in advance of the SDR software that enables this mode. (K5KDN)(Coded by K3CT)

It doesn't change anything, it will still arrive when fully tested and ready for we the masses; and BTW that is how I like it.

I don't expect a reply (NDA etc) but I hope the RTTY contest last weekend served to test out some changes. 

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Product announcements tend to show up at hamfests.  Software releases
    just appear when they are ready.  There is also an amplifier out there somewhere
    between rumor and reality.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think that was bouncing the idea off people less than rumor. A functioning noise blanker is not a product. Even Howard made reference to people, in their giddy euphoria forgetting what the ND stood for.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

The noise blanker could use some work but wheres SQUELCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A $30 CB Radio has it ........... Its not a luxury,  its like a seat in a car, the drivers seat!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.