Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR and a clean Win10 install

Randy Diddel
Randy Diddel Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi,

I have just ordered a 6300.  I have a good solid machine ready and waiting for the arrival of the 6300.  Installing Windows 7 or Windows 10 are options (MSDN subscription).  I know Windows 7 would be OK.  The downside of Windows 7 is that it will take a long time to download and run the updates released since SP1. But my real question is:  Has anyone done a clean install of Windows 10 and had issues?  I have seen many posts about in place upgrades having issues but nothing definitive about those with clean Windows 10 instances.

/randy

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Worked fine here. Congrats & enjoy!

• James T. Whitehead
    James T. Whitehead Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Dear Randy - I have 2 Flex 6500 radios - each with it's own pc - performed a clean windows 10 install and then installed my Flex Radio software - no problems whatsoever - these 2 machines were running Windows 8.1 - I downloaded the ISO file and setup bootable DVD's and a USB Drive and performed the usual format and clean install - you will love your radio - it keeps on getting better and better!!
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good to hear.  I've gone the upgrade route (8.1 to 10) but still not completely happy with SSDR and all the associated programs running.  That's why I've been waiting for feedback from others - and if it works 100% I'll see no reason not to go for it.  

Jeff - G4IUA
  • Gerd Henjes
    Gerd Henjes Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Works just fine here too!

Gerd, W2ISB
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I have updated three machines from 8.1 and another from 7.  No problems with any of them.  My SSDR machine was Windows 7.  I completely uninstalled SSDR, removed all associated directories, removed all VSP ports and DAX drivers.  I ran CCleaner to get all the strays out of the registry.  I upgraded and then re-installed SSDR.  Everything came up and has been working fine for about a week now. 

Given a choice between 7 and 10, I would pick 10.  The logic is that all future drivers and things are going to be designed for the new software.  If you don't want the learning curve of learning the new Windows 8/10 menu schema, get a free program called Classic Shell and your start menu will look just like Windows 7.

Steve

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Upgraded the laptop here from 8.1 to 10, did a clean install on it with no problems at all.  On the main desktop upgraded from win 7 to 10 with no problems.  I did completely removed all SSDR programs, ports, etc beforehand and then reloaded them after the upgrade..  Only problem was my internet speed dropped drastically after the upgrade but must have been outside network problems as after a day or so, came back just to what it was before (I do have slow DSL here).
    Enjoy the 6300, great radio for the $$$$...  73s Jim K4JAF
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Upgraded the laptop here from 8.1 to 10, did a clean install on it with no problems at all.  On the main desktop upgraded from win 7 to 10 with no problems.  I did completely removed all SSDR programs, ports, etc beforehand and then reloaded them after the upgrade..  Only problem was my internet speed dropped drastically after the upgrade but must have been outside network problems as after a day or so, came back just to what it was before (I do have slow DSL here).
    Enjoy the 6300, great radio for the $$$$...  73s Jim K4JAF
  • Andy F5VAI
    Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Randy,

I would advise you to read this before you do a clean install of Windows 10.  Apparently Microsoft say that you should do the normal upgrade path to Windows 10 first, as if you do a clean install first, then your product key might not be detected.  

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/9077997/microsoft-windows-10-clean-install-how-to-guide

73's Andy F5VAI

• Randy Diddel
    Randy Diddel Member
    edited October 2015
    ndy,

Not really an issue as I have a M$ MSDN account and will be using full install ISO's not upgrade bits.

/randy
  • Randy Diddel
    Randy Diddel Member
    edited October 2015
    Thanks everyone!  I consider this answered.

/randy
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'm running a 6500 on a Win10 box that got a clean install last week.  All is well with the radio and the client software.  No problems with DAX or CAT.  I'm running SSDR over DXLabs and under WSJT-X and FLDIGI.

I am working around some Win10 bugs related to the use of Homegroups.  My interpretation of the problem is that the existence of a Homegroup clobbers the permissions on Documents, OneDrive, Videos and Pictures folders.  The problem is probably much more complex and subtle than I've described (they usually are). This problem has been widely reported.

My workaround for the present is to simply do without Homegroups.  I expect to see this problem evaporate in the next month or so as fixes come down.

Otherwise, all running very well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.