Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

running windows 10 and can get dax drivers to work?

Don w2xb
Don w2xb Member ✭✭
Been running windows 10. everything works fine except the DAX drivers. Keep getting an error message that its not loading right in the register files. Tried uninstalling and reloading. But no luck. Anyone get them to work?

Don...w2xb

Answers

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hey Don

I will avoid to upgrade to Windows 10 till new SmartSDR version 
    Microsoft is inviting everyone to upgrade no charge......Microsoft giving things for free?....Sorry not in my Radio's PC

Greetings

George
    YV5WZ
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Don, running Windows 10 with my 6500. No problems yet, it's been 4 months now, no glitches. I find Win 10 to be very superior to Win 8.1, a lot more responsive. I running this as a Virtual Machine on a Mac. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2020
    Please provide the exact text of the error message so I can determine what is happening.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Windows 10 beta 10125 works fine, updated to 10130 works fine.

Runs 6500 just fine here. No issues with Smartsdr 1.4.11.

Just a guess since windows 10 is beta, a registry cleaner maybe in order.

Ccleaner has not caused me any problems yet. Might try it.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This might be linked to the upgrade KB3035583 that was recently applied to Win 7 that also breaks the DAX  and CPanel drivers too. In win & one just has to uninstalll the update and uninstall the windowssystem32?GWZ folder and reboot a couple of tile (a real 'brown trousers' moment). The updates then need hiding.

More info at QRZ.com email addy as OT for Flex forum.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Never, ever use a registry cleaner. They do not do anything useful and they can cause major problems much further down the line - I speak from bitter experience.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hi Don,

Did you upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8/8.1 or was this a clean install of Windows 10?

I've seen on an upgrade that Win 10 breaks DAX. Seems device enumeration gets messed up.

What I did to fix it was to uninstall SmartSDR and select to remove DAX when uninstalling.

After uninstalling I brought up Device Manager and go to View and select Show Hidden Devices. Then expand Audio Input and Output Devices and delete all DAX entries.

Reboot then reinstall SmartSDR.

Dave, wo2x

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I have used Ccleaner from Piriform ever since XP not one problem.

winxp win vista win 7 win8.1 win10 not one issue. Not a bitter experience here.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    AA0KM - with all due respect registry cleaners are pure snake oil. Your argument is like saying "I have been drinking and driving for years and never had a problem...so why stop?" Just search for info on registry cleaners from reputable sites for the current view.

Ccleaner is 'safe' as it does not do aggressive cleaning anyway. If you use one of the more aggressive ones, I will guarantee that a strange issue will arise in a few month's time, well past the time you have kept your backups or any useful restore points and the issue will be very difficulty to fix.

• Peter Bacon
    Peter Bacon Member
    edited June 2015
    My last update to build 10122 resulted in a DAX failure, so I rolled back to build 10074 for a while.  However the current build 10130 works without any problems.
    Peter, G3ZSS
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    OT:- It is possible to do a clean upgrade from an upgrade-only version. The upgrade versions will recognise and install of its own version as a valid version for upgrading. So, install Win 10 and do not register it. Then 'upgrade' it with its own version and then register it. This has worked with several of the past Windows versions.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    To prevent issues with DAX , before start Win upgrade  with news release i uninstall SSDR completely  and after upgrade install SSDR again, few minutes but with positive final result:

tested just yesterday with upgrade from 10125 to the 10130
  • James Sutherland
    edited August 2015
    I'm having this same issue.  On my Windows 10 test machine (Build 10130).  No biggie as I don't expect it to work on windows 10 at this point.  But I figured I'd add my data point.

DAX control panel shows driver error.  Just after booting up (if the radio is on, or as soon as you turn the radio on if already booted up) this error shows up.   (screen shots below)

I've tried uninstalling all the flex software, rebooting and then reinstalling.   No joy there.  Tried a couple times.  I dug through the system logs but I don't find anything obvious. 

imageimage
  • Peter Bacon
    Peter Bacon Member
    edited June 2015
    From my experience, I would first uninstall SmartSDR off your PC.  Go on the Windows Insider website and download the ISO of the latest build (10130) and burn it onto a DVD.  Then reinstall Windows 10 over the existing installation.  Finally install SmartSDR again.  It worked for me!
  • James Sutherland
    edited June 2015
    Confirmed, that worked.  I created a new VM, installed Windows 10 10130 on it and then installed SmartSDR.  It works great, no problems.

If anyone at Flex needs the VMWare Fusion image file for the non-working copy of Windows 10 to see what's going on let me know and I'll put it somewhere you can download it.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the offer, but we are spending zero energy on any Win 10 issue until it is a released operating system. Until then it is a moving target.
  • James Sutherland
    edited June 2015
    No problem at all.  Thanks!  Now I can delete that image.  ;)

• Thom Baxter
    Thom Baxter Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I just upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and yes, I uninstalled the smart SDR completely and even removed all of the dax entries in the system.  Then I rebooted and reinstalled the smart SDR software.  I get the dax errors above that James did.  Does anyone have any more current information on how to get DAX working againg?
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Try uninstalling SSDR then uninstall FlexVSP through add and remove programs.  Reboot then install SSDR again.  This will then install FlexVSP as well.  This took care of my problems with DAX.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Same experience with ccleaner.  To remove extraneous / incorrect junk from the registry seems it would speed things up, if incrementally.
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

Dave,

That's what I finally ended up doing. It was the hidden devices. Upgrade from windows 8.1

All is working great now.

• Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Also delete the hidden com ports,,
  • mdavid01
    mdavid01 Member
    edited August 2015
    I tried the uninstall before update and that didn't work, still had problems with the dax error/not working.
    What worked for me was
    1. Uninstall ssdr, remove all virtual ports (show hidden devices in device manager)
    2. Remove flex directory in program files and in users >app data > roaming
    3. Install as administrator
    4. Start DAX as administrator

Now fldigi works great and I can go back to relaxing with my laptop!
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My DAX starts but I get this error on startup.  I also reinstalled SSDR totally and that made no difference.  

Anyone have any idea's?

• rich
    rich Member
    edited December 2018
    I get the same DAX Driver Error on an upgrade to Windows 10.  Did not see the "FLEX Official Answer".  I don't like using "Administrator" to launch things.  Rich, K3VAT

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Sometimes one just has to bite the bullet and go for it. I have come across no end of strange windows issues caused by security/Administrator/ ownership issues.

Whether it is admin or root, you sometimes just have to give it a whirl.
  • rich
    rich Member
    edited March 2016

thanks Guy,

I was successful in doing a uninstall of SmartSDR, and deleting the two com ports via Device Manager.  Then a reinstall of V 1.5.

This time it worked.  Apparently, when upgrading to Win10 one has to pay critical attention to comports and drivers.

73, Rich, K3VAT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.