Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ameritron ARB-704, Flex 6500 and Ameritron AL-80B Amplifier

Hi Guys,

I need help hooking up my Ameritron ARB-704 to my Flex 6500 and my Ameritron Al-80b Amplifier.

Thanks

Tim Hill - KI6LSB

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    RCA cable from TX1, TX2 or TX3 on back of flex 6500 to the  radio jack on ARB-704 then another rca cable from the AMP jack on the arb-704 to the RLY jack on the back of the AL-80b. Then in radio setup transmit tab make sure you enable the correct TX relay.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Nice Larry, even I could follow that..lol
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    A most excellent post!
  • Tim Hill - KI6LSB
    edited November 2015
    This is the way all the post should be, made it easy for me to understand, I am new and have only had the Radio for one week and I am still trying to understand how everything works.

Tim Hill - KI6LSB 
  • Bob K4RLC
    Bob K4RLC Member
    edited August 2016

Thanks. I've been waiting to connect the ALS-600 and ARB-700. Now I'll go ahead.

73 de K4RLC Bob

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure why you need a arb 704 for either the al 80b or the als 600. The relay is 12v 100ma back current protected
  • James - K4JK
    James - K4JK Member
    edited August 2015
    Does the relay in the AL-80b require a delay to be set? The lower-end Ameritrons do because the relays are slow.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I do not use any delay with my AL-80b.
  • James - K4JK
    James - K4JK Member
    edited July 2018
    I was curious so I I had a look at the AL-80b manual. The manual states that the internal relay takes 15ms to switch states, which is the same time that the relay in the 811/811H, etc. take. I run my 3-bottle 811 with 25ms delay for this reason.

Chances are if you're not using TX delay with an AL-80b you're hot switching the relay. To be safe I'd use at least 20ms TX delay.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Larry  W8LLL

Do you or would you even consider using the ALC from the Flex 6xxx through the ARB to the Amp?

Bill
    VA3QB
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I have not tried the flex alc, I use ddutil3 and it works well for my needs.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I added delay, thanks.
  • So the question still stands. Does one need a ARB-704 with an AL80B if the parameters are setup correctly in SmartSDR?

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

What's the keying voltage of the AL80B? If falls within the parameters of the Flex. No. I have an Heathkit SB221. Unmodified it would require one. It's keying voltage is somewhere around -124VDC. I installed the Harbach Soft Key mod. Now it's just 3.4VDC.

ED KA9EES

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭

My thought on this is this, for what the keying buffer cost it is cheap insurance in case something messes up with the keying relay in the amp. In most newer solid state amps may not so much. But with many Ameritron older amps they use older open frame relays and they are slow.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.