Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wind in Wisconsin

Tom - WQ5O
Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
First, the radio is working fine.

The antenna is also working although not with the sensitivity it had when it was up a little higher. LoL!  Unfortunately I'm off the air until I can get my tower up with the Hex Beam.  Looks as if the guys I had added to the mast weren't good enough for a little wind last night.  The HB is still in good shape with no broken spreaders or wires.  Apparently it just kind of fell over slowly and is resting  on the ground.  I was lucky.  It did take out my dual band antenna I was using for APRS.  Broke that antenna in half.  It could have been much worse.  It had survived some real winds during the winter so I didn't think that the little storm we had last night could have done the damage it did.  Live and learn.  The tower will keep it up no problem - if I can get my tower up.  Hopefully soon.  Need my ham fix and I'd hate to miss any upcoming CW DX.

de WQ5O 73 SK

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It was quite a front that went through - 55 miles north we were still cutting up fallen trees after lunch.

Official WX observations seem to have peaked at 35 MPH gusts, but the damage done seems a lot more.  

Hope you are up and going again quickly!

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Tim Hill - KI6LSB
    edited March 2017
    Should not put a Big Antenna on a small pole 

Tim
    KI6LSB
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Glad to hear the HexBeam was laid over gently.  Had a Cushcraft A3S that did a similar thing a while back.

I am curious if the picture was taken with a CellPhone camera and if yes, what brand / model/

Hope U get back on the air soon.

k3Tim
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    ground-wave improvement? sorry for your loss Tom. -W7NGA
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    it's an iPhone 6+.  Take pretty good photos for a camera phone.

I had an A4S that took a hit during an ice storm in Oklahoma.  That's a pretty good antenna and sturdy but it had a weak spot on the boom (my issue not the company's).  Had about an inch and a half of ice and that was all she wrote.

The HB only had 3 guys and i think that the wind swirled around causing it to just lay down.  We had stronger winds in the winter and it did fine.  My tower will be much better once I get it back up.  Just glad I don't have to buy a new antenna or repair it.  73.
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    LoL!  Yeah I'm sure my GW is better! 
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just got back from a holiday in Iceland.  Wind there was blowing 37 m/s (almost 84 mph) one afternoon and it wasn't even a storm.  Maybe that's why I don't hear a lot of Iceland hams on the air.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I was impressed in Iceland that the rescue boats were designed to roll 360 degrees and then self-right automatically.  A challenging place!

Here in Wisconsin we have a couple Islands which really get winds.  Washington Island happens to also be where Icelandic settlers ended up.  This picture is what happens if you don't get your Quad pointed into the wind and lowered before the gusts (estimated at 60 mph) hit.  Ouch!

The tower could largely be rebuilt, but the quad was scrap.

Steve

K9ZW

• Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I saw one of the rescue boats in dry dock.  The boat had at least as much depth as length, if not more.  My nine year old son said it looked like 1/3 of a boat.  I wouldn't want to be on-board when utilizing the 360 degree roll capability.
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Wow!  That's a bummer. 
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Check this out ..http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ebb_1236898905. CG 47ft motor life boats doing what they do best.  The bottom video shows it rolling over.  Self-bailing, self-righting.  The CG's had these types of boats for quite a while.  Thie 47 footer replaced the 44 ft MLB before I retired in 98. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Glad your antenna come in for a "soft landing!"  But now at least you can work satellites on 10 meters.
    Hope the tower project goes quickly.  If the ground ever gets dry enough to get a bucket truck in my back yard, I will get my T-11 LP up in the air!

Good luck!

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ouch!  Indeed.  That thing is really shredded.  When did this happen?
    I hope some of the quad parts are salvageable.

Ken - NM9P
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The IP6+ is a good camera.  Thanks for your reply....

k3Tim
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, Ken. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.