Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Locking the panafall (reposted as an idea)

DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in New Ideas
I would like to have a "Lock" icon on the panafall, maybe beside the CWX button below
(1st click a), second click b) and changes to blue, third click c) and flashes)
whereby you can choose:

a) Having the panafall horizontally scrolling when moving a slice (as it does now)

b) Locking the active slice in place in the middle of the panafall and having
    the panafall scrolling horizontally when changing frequency.

c) Locking both the panafall and the slice(s) in place and inhibiting scrolling horitzontally.
    The slice(s) will move off screen and you will get the typical arrows showing where they are.

To see what I mean, look at DM780 in Ham Radio Deluxe, where the choosen frequency
stays stable in the waterfall, which moves horizontally when changing frequency.

I am taking up the posting by Ross ZL1WN
below, who can surely expand on that from
the RTTY contester's point of view ;-)

73, Alex DH2ID

Comments

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    For part b) to work, you would only be able to lock one slice per panadapter in the center as subsequent slices would not be centered.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes,that's right, just the active slice for each panadapter should be centered and locked.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    slices already lock, look for the padlock icon that is either open or closed.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Walt, they lock, but they don't lock in place, while the frequency is changed.
    Look up HRD DM780.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I too believe that it would be useful to have the option of having the active slice remain centered in the panadpater/waterfall..  

AL, K0VM
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yet I only see two likes and I did the second one. The only way FRS can position this in the product backlog is by like ranking. So it sounds like what you really want is the active slice to always be pan center.?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As an option - yes.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, as an option,  I would have used it that way for FD S&P...

AL, K0VM
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    setCenter is the api call to set the center of the panadapter. I think the more specific you are about your idea, the easier it is for FRS to assess the DoD. If you want the panadapter to follow the slice, then that switch could, upon seeing a change in freq for the slice set the pan center to that frequency, insuring the slice is always centered in the pan window. If it were the active slice, as the one you had selected w/mouse, moving the slice to change the freq would have the effect of moving the pan underneath it so visually, the slice would always be centered in the pan. That might not play well in WPF as dragging the reticle is telling WPF the slice is moving when, in fact, it is stationary and the pan is scrolling. Hmm, that would be interesting to model.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I am not keen on the idea of locking the active slice in the center. The existing slices are listed at each end of the screen now and double clicking on them brings them to the center of the screen.

From coaching other people to use SmartSDR over the phone, I can see where a center button between the zoom in and zoom out would be useful early in the learning process.

Maybe if I understood your use case better then I could be swayed. I am not against adding it as an option as long as I don't have to have it locked.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Robert, when looking for CW DX, I like the panafall to scroll under
    the active slice, not to have the slice jumping about the screen.
    I don't mind so much doing SSB (about 10 times a year) but
    working digital modes (about 6000 times a year) I do mind.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I don't believe Alex is looking for a behaviour change, merely an option in the case of what he wants to do. Personally, I like the existing behavor also. To have an option to say the pan can not be scrolled and the slice locks to the center means the slice controls the pan movement. As an option?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I actually have created PHYSICAL CENTER, ZOOM IN and ZOOM OUT buttons using DDUTIL macros and a Genovation Keypad . I find the center button to be very useful for contesting. image
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thank you, Walt. That's exactly what I'm looking for ;-)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Alex, I will add that to XPSDR.
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

I would like an option "D" that says;

D.  Inhibit the Panadapter from sliding right or left while tuning a slice.

Ted

NX6C

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Kevin, why you like to keep audio near 1500hz ? your radio have enough inband dinamic range to stay with full 3-5 khz bandwith. keep center in 1500hz necessary only in case usage narrow filters implemented in SSDR - they are tuned centrally in 1500hz 
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Kevin you are right, however this is common recomendations(WSJT docs), in our case(Flex 6000) you not limited to use wide RX passband and keep the TX bandwith on the TOP like you mentioned 1500-2000(2500) where tuning for CQ will be by mouse click on the WSJT waterfall with further press TX<RX (RX<TX) button or keep differents between RX and TX freq  (split) as well ,
    BTW with usual modes like PSK and RTTY i using 2 instance of FlDigi for split operation and tunning (RX and TX) by the mouse click with VFO A and VFO B directly in SSDR PAN -  very visual and takes a seconds. We have hands free for different experiments with working condition for best results with F6000 series depensds on our needs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.