Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

REMOTE CW paddle with WinKeyer Remote Control

Ed - W2RF
Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
edited February 2017 in New Ideas
The SmartSDR remote implementation enables sending CW via CWX, but does not currently support a paddle. There will be "additional hardware" required. Perhaps that hardware is already available as the WinKeyer from K1EL. Updated software for remoting was released March 2, 2015. Here is a link:

http://k1el.tripod.com/WKremote.html

To set it up requires two WinKeyers, one at the station and one attached to the remote computer. I set this up and got the link working, and the remote keyer triggers the sidetone on the station keyer. However so far I haven't found the setting that makes the station keyer actually trigger the radio.

Work in progress...

73 Ed W2RF

Comments

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Ed,

I've been using a WKUSB pair for about the last eight years.  Typically good results with a TS-480.  In the case of the WK device, it's important to enable the "auto-space" feature.  Without it, CW cannot be completed with any great accuracy over a marginal link. 

What's needed is for WKUSB (or similar type of device) to communicate directly with SSDR loaded on the client PC. This would remove the host WKUSB and let SSDR manage keying to the Flex 6K.  SSDR would need to look at the WKUSB data (e.g., ASCII data, and not just contact closure) then generate a CWX output. 

That setup would be the Holy Grail of remote CW.

Paul, W9AC 

• DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Great news, Ed. Thanks for sharing. I will give it a try too.

Now we just need a combination of a FlexControl and a K1EL-Keyer for remote use.

VY73
    Thomas
    DK1EY
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited February 2017

Steve, N5AC gave us some insight into the matter about nine months ago:

"Actually I do have a pretty good idea for how to do it. The real block is a belief that few are going to carry just a tablet and a paddle but not a PC. In other words, I don't believe that the group that says they "will carry a paddle everywhere they go, but will not buy/have a laptop and instead demand using a tablet" is a large group. If I'm wrong about that I'd like to know. Under the current thinking, if you want a paddle to operate, you would need a Windows device of some kind. So here are the operating scenarios we would plan to support with today's thinking:

- desktop PC with a CW paddle (great for the lake house, across the house, DXpedition, etc)
    - laptop PC with a CW paddle (great for the road warrior if you want to carry a 5# BY-1 or suitable replacement)
    - iPad with keyboard CW for the person that wants to do CW from anywhere and is willing to use a keyboard (incidentally, we are not planning to do the iPad implementation directly, but imagine that partners will do this)
    - Surface with a CW paddle for the person willing to sacrifice ergonomics of operation because they want a tablet and a CW paddle on the road (again we have no plans to support the surface directly, but imagine that SmartSDR will run on this platform as it does today -- it a less that ergonomic ally preferable way)

Our thinking today is that this will cover 98% of our customers' needs. We have a plan for hooking a CW paddle to an iPad, but suspect that few will want it -- the iPad purchase says the individual wants a lightweight convenient device to carry and a CW paddle doesn't seem to fit into that. If you have to have a paddle, our thinking is that you will get/have a lightweight PC you will carry along with the paddle.

You are making the suggestion that the FlexControl be redesigned to allow connection of a CW paddle to it. It just seems easier to connect a paddle directly to the PC to me (using a serial port as someone pointed out earlier). This is what our plan is at this point.

In general, if we have the option of sending an engineer down the path of developing a new piece of $200 hardware or using a software solution, we're going to invest in software so neither of us have to buy new hardware. We're all about "the most capability for our customers with the least investment from either of us" because it advances the art quicker and costs you less. If there are significant advantages to new hardware, we will of course build new hardware -- the FLEX-6000 is a perfect example. There's no deep-seated aversion to a FlexControl change, but if it can be done in software on the PC without obsoleting the existing FlexControls in the field, we're more likely to do it that way."

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    OK got great help from K1EL. There seems to be a problem with 1.4. He put a link to the previous version 1.3 at the bottom left corner of the page.

I got it to key the rig properly, but there are still a couple of wrinkles. When I get them worked out, will post my results here...

But when it works, it works very well!

73 Ed W2RF

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016

Ed,

Of most interest in the dual WKUSB setup, let us know if by keying the 6700 from WKUSB at the host that the sidetone gets generated in SSDR running on the client PC.

Paul, W9AC

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's helpful but it seems perhaps a bit dated. I've seen midget paddles out there that hang off a USB port... very portable. Also it is possible that K1EL would cooperate in allowing Flex to adapt his remote software to connect directly to the Flex via Flexlib. Perhaps Steve could post an update.

73 Ed W2RF
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Paul,

So far at the remote client I'm using the sidetone generated by WinKeyer. The remote SSDR doesn't get its sidetone triggered unless you use CWX. But the WinKeyer sidetone is real time without latency.

73 Ed W2RF
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016

I ended up installing one of N4YG's DSP-based side-tone generators into the WKUSB.  The output is a pure sine-wave with rise/fall ramping.  The phototransistor at Output #2 activates the sidetone. 

Yes it works, but in time, we really do need a "one box" paddle/Keyer interface at the client PC.   

Paul, W9AC

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This could be accomplished by adding a WKUSB chip and a paddle jack to the FlexControl.

73 Ed W2RF
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Success! Got WinKey Remote Control working with SmartSDR REMOTE.

First step is to download and install WKRemote 1.3 (from http://k1el.tripod.com/files/WKremote_13_setup.exe) on both the remote and the station machine. (This is not the new 1.4 version, which doesn't quite work.)  Both machines also need WinKeyers installed.

The server (station) setup should look like this, only with your server WK port set:

Also set up the client (remote) to look like this, only in IP Address enter your server (station) computer name or IP address, and set your client WK port:

Press OPEN on the server first. If you get a Firewall dialog, click to allow.
    After the Server indicates Listening for Request, press OPEN on the client.
    Enable REMOTE and Breakin on SmartSDR... Start sending....

Then if you are like me, fiddle around with settings until it actually works. And add what you discovered to this thread.

GL & Enjoy!

73 Ed W2RF
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016

Ed,

With this configuration, you're still using the internal WKUSB sidetone?

Paul, W9AC

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes. In my FlexControl idea (which may integrate a WKUSB chip; it might be best to do everything in software), the sidetone would (optionally) come from SSDR.

Here's a link to a miniature paddle:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131080435790?

73 Ed W2RF
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Ed,

just got my 2nd nanoKeyer and will set it up tonight for remote CW keying via Paddle.

Until Maestro is available, I will use a combination of nanoKeyer, an M0UKD CW Touch paddle module and a custom made faceplate for the nanoKeyer with sensor paddles. The faceplate will look like this:
    Front
    Side

Where you see the holes will be sensor surfaces be mounted. Through the holes, the cables will be led into the enclosure to connect with Mikes excellent sensor PCB.

Thanks again for your info about WinKeyer Remote. I think as a compromise until Maestro is ready for shipping, this is the way to go! I will place my FlexControl on top of the unit.

When the project is ready and the prototype of the faceplate is ready, I will post , more pictures.

If anyone has questions, feel free to drop me a note.

VY73
    Tom
    DK1EY
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tom,

Excellent! Looking forward to info on the completed unit!!!

73 Ed W2RF
  • AB8YZ
    AB8YZ Member ✭✭

I am getting older as such have started getting tremors in my hands. I take meds to help this but I still have problems using a Paddle or Bug. So I am now using a keyboard more so than my Bug. I also noticed that Loggers like ACLog can access the Windkey emulation in my Flex 6400M but I run my logger on a different computer. I know I can setup a Winkey port under SDRCAT. I currently use this with my keyboard sending app CWType. Question can the Winkey emulation be accessed remotely from ACLog or Contest Log?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The FlexRadio CAT / WinKeyer can be accessed from any application such as ACLog or Contest Log (I have never used either).

• Install SmartSDR on the computer with your logbook
    • Create a new Winkeyer 'port' in SmartSDR CAT - keep note of the serial port number
    • Now, in your logging program, follow the procedure to connect to a Serial Port Winkeyer and reference the port number you were given in SmartSDR CAT
    • When you send CW via the logging program, it will be sent to the radio.

That should work

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.