Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexRadio 6700 puts W1AW/6 on the map for California

Stu Phillips - K6TU
Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

In the mail today was this plaque from ARRL for my participation in the Centennial celebrations of putting W1AW on the air from every one of the 50 states and for a special W1AW WAS award.

I had a blast putting W1AW/6 on the air for a couple of slots on 10m and 15m last year.  The pile ups were fun and lots of great QSOs with folks both domestically and Internationally.

I hadn't expected anything and this nice plaque with the two Centennial coins is now sitting proudly on my desk here in the office/shack.

Thanks to ARRL and to all the folks who worked & operated W1AW during the events last year.

The Flex 6700 did W1AW proud!  Did any other Flex owners participate in the W1AW activations?

Stu K6TU

Comments

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Congrats, Stan!  I went to Hartford for the Centennial last year, and worked a number of the W1AW/# stations for the fun of it.  All with the aid of my 6500 and FlexControl!
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yawn!
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The W1AW portable operations and the Centennial QSO party were a lot of fun for me and really pumped up my on air activity in 2014. I only got my 6300 in October, but I did make most of the contacts after that with it.  As I was reviewing my log, I realize that my first and next to last (at 2356 12/31) were with ARRL President Kay Craigie, N3KN.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had the pleasure of running about five shifts on 40 SSB each round, and a shift or two on 17 SSB the second round. The 6500 performed well under the biggest pile ups I have ever run.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Very nice Stu and thanks again for the Thread on the Pixel Loop. Ian
  • Ted  WA3AER
    Ted WA3AER Member
    edited July 2015
    Congrats, Stu! Always a pleasure to work you on the bands.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    They may abandon the award as the winner would be a given, knowing that nobody else could come close.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I went and worked the Comstock Memorial Station W7RN. It was great. Everyone there had a wonderful time.

Dan

http://www.w7rn.com/welcome-to-the-comstock-memorial-station-w7rn/the-comstock-memorial-station/w1aw...
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Stu, 

I do not want to be the last to congratulate you for the Centennial participation.  

I took part in it and place rather high with the number of points and looking forward to receive my award.

And like you, I did it my way  ...  on my F6.7K too.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Good deal Stu.  I got a chance to be W1AW/7 for a while from our club station, a Flex 5000.  It is quite an honor to use Hiram's call sign.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Stu did ARRL charge for the plaque. I was telling a friend and he said you had to pay?
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    ha !
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    There was no charge - it just showed up in the USPS with a nice note.
    Stu K6TU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The ARRL is apparently still mailing them. I just got this in the mail. It was a lot of fun participating in this event, both as a "fox" and as a "hound!" image
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Congratulations Ken. Ian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.