Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

flexcontrol knob video or video review

Luke Reynolds
Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Anybody ever do a review of the flexcontrol knob? I tried youtube search and nothing came up. I just want to see one in action!!
Thanks
Luke
wx4aa

Answers

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There is really not that much to see. Just read the documentation here. Some run it through DDUtils rather than SSDR. I find it quite handy for often-fiddled with controls, especially as the SSDR interface/sliders are seriously lacking in the fine control department.

I am not an expert by any means, but it is a very handy addition. Some chaps here have two.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I second Guy's comments. Since version 1.4 came out, the knob has worked great and is a really helpful tool. Would be kind of cool to have it connect directly to the rig, but that's a **** on my part. Love using mine for tuning and memory keyer (CWX) functions.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I use mine directly with SSDR, and find it VERY useful.  Tuning is so much easier than trying to rely totally on my trackball.  I've assigned XIT to one of the buttons, master volume to another, and I forget what the third one is - obviously I don't use it!  The knob has a very smooth feel, much like the tuning knob in a fine radio (like my old Orion.)  
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    For the cost, It would be nice if they had removed the labels off of the backlights and maybe just leave them blank so a person could make a custom label with the function they assigned to it.   I think these labels are from the old 3000 / 5000 series, but do not quote me on it.

And since the faceplate is just a stick-on - maybe they could make a new set of faceplates and people with a 6000 could just pay them $5.00 for a new one with blank spaces over the lights.

Physically, the knob and buttons are great.

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The labels are unrelated to the 3000/5000 radios.

The original concept for the tuning know was that it would support two "modes" - A and B which would each allow two function be assigned to the tuning knob.

For example; a contest mode where you tuned either VFO A or RIT - you switched backwards and forward with a single click, double click to clear RIT.

You toggled between modes with a LONG press of the knob.

In the other mode "B" you could assign different functions like VFO A and VFO B - for DX split more.  Again, single press to switch between one and the other.

The LEDs were intended to visually show which mode you were in, whether you had selected one function or another or toggled between modes.

This is shown correctly in the DDUtil form that supports the tuning knob.

PowerSDR supports two different use cases for the FlexControl - simple and advanced.  The advanced form received feedback that it was "too complicated" and so it was placed on the back burner for SmartSDR.

Eric was kind enough to implement the tuning acceleration algorithm that we had originally designed into DDUtil that dynamically alters the tuning step size when you turn the knob more rapidly.  This was incorporated in SmartSDR 1.4.

3M makes "correction tape" that comes on rolls and is self adhesive like postIt notes - it is available in two widths - 1/2" and 1" - you can tear or cut off a piece and then use a pen/pencil to write on it.  Works great for adding temporary labels to the FlexControl OR for providing function key templates for contesting.

Stu K6TU
  • Ricky
    Ricky Member
    edited April 2016

I have one new in the box that I would be willing to sell you. I tried it and just didn't care for it. If you have no problem using your mouse then you may not want it.

• Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    How can I reach you via email?
  • Ricky
    Ricky Member
    edited May 2015
    kd4hgr@bellsouth.net
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I have one I have used for several years and pleased with it..  I love it to tune with the left hand in a contest when someone comes on off frequency.  Great for tuning around the band too.

I highly recommend.  73s Jim K4JAF

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I would prefer the knob to have some feel or resistance to it. It is just too friction free. But that is me being picky.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is how I use it...left hand on FlexControl, right hand on mouse and Keyer paddles. I usually have aux1 set for RIT, aux2 for AGC-T, and aux3 for XIT. Sometimes I set aux1 and aux2 to send call and report from CWX. It is great to have the flexibility.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.