Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Status of Remote On?

GarySOwnsby
GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
From my experience with SmartSDR 1.4.3 the cat is out of the bag. For me it seems to work reliably around home but the ability to turn it on and off appears to be disabled. I know of other ways to remotely do that but with methods that I consider too crude for my taste, i.e., just turn power off and on at the "cord level". Besides being crude, that approach would also mess with my Flex 6700's GPSDO as it is intended to be powered up 24x7. So since the power button is there, I think we can assume that function hasn't been lost to Flex Radio's design team. So Flex...great job on the SmartSDR 1.4.3 but when can we have the power on/off function? Thanks again for a great radio...now with remote access/control/operation. Gary, AK4ZX P.S. It's very nice to be unfettered from being in the "shack" and sitting out on the deck in the beautiful springtime!

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Like it or not, the 6000 series will never be completely "unfettered" with regard to remote operation. Unfortunately, the power on/off will always require third party I/P hardware. This subject has been exhausted in other threads.

Jim, K6QE

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You must have the "remote on" enabled in Radio Setup > Radio for the feature to work. It's right by the FlexControl enable button. With that, then a contact closure is all you need. Several good options exist - search the community for WeMo or Global Cache.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

His question was with regard to a "cable free" feature implying on/off with Flex firmware/software.  

Jim

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I read that cutting the mains was not a desired option (that would shut down the GPSDO, etc.) - the "Remote On" closure doesn't **** the mains, so it does leave the stability features running. Might be an excellent middle option between cutting all power and leaving things on. A "wake on LAN" sort of thing would be pretty slick, too. Perhaps someday.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Steve mentioned that additional hardware would be required with a Wake on LAN feature. Perhaps in the 7000 or a factory recall.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Beautiful springtime in N Ilinois is 36 degrees and 40 mph winds, will be below freezing tonight.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.