Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Twin slice operation idea

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in New Ideas
Please 'like' this if you think it is a good idea.

Over this weekend I was working a contest. Both the 80 and 40 m bands have two contest preferred segments (at least in Region 1 where the contest is). So I set up a couple of profiles with two slice receivers/panadaptor slices showing so I could monitor the two segments in the same band simultaneously.

I experimented with dealing with the audio from both slices and thought of an option that would be very handy in this case. I would have liked slice B to automatically mute when clicking on a signal in slice A and vice-versa so I could give the selected signal my undivided attention. Manually having to mute the slices seemed to be a lot of unnecessary work. I am not talking about regular split operation where one would have two slices and one panadaptor, all the same frequency.

I am not an experienced contester at all and maybe those who are may not like this idea at all. It is just something that I would have found particularly useful to have in this instance.

If the above is not clear I would be more than happy to try and explain myself better.

Mni tnx.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Install SDR bridge. It already does that now.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Looks useful, thanks for mentioning it. But for what I have in mind it appears more complicated than a native SSDR solution. I will still check it out though.

Have a good weekend.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016

Not just contesting, but dxing when a DXpedition Station could be on multiple bands at the same time.

A real good suggestion Guy....I LIKE it.

Right now I have two instances of JT running, on two bands....looking for new ones.

Unfortunately I only have two antennas!

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This would be easy to write as a third party app.  A simple program that monitored the radio and muted all slices but the active slice.

loop
    //listen for radio changes

if active = 0 unmute 0;  mute 1;
    if active = 1 unmute 1;  mute 0;

etc etc
    return

Yes its a bit more complex, but that's the high level.

I doubt flex would incorporate this into SmartSDR, as its a specific operating style.

I'm a bit busy coding my own software at the moment, but maybe someone else will take this on if there is interest.

William

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    <<I doubt flex would incorporate this into SmartSDR, as its a specific operating style>>
    That is why it would be an option. A BIG plus about SSDR is its flexibility (no pun intended) without dictating how one should operate.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Take a look at my latest release of FRStack. It contains this feature.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/memories-and-most-recently-used-frequency-utility

The Radio menu item contains a option called:

Radio slice active mutes inactive slices.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for your fine work in FRStack and thanks for the heads up on that feature.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.