Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two slice question

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is there any way, with two slices open, for the inactive (not TX enabled slice) to automatically mute? I do not want a contact on slice A being made difficult by having slice B audible too.

I will be entering a contest this weekend and there are two contest preferred segments in the 80 and 40 m bands that I have programmed in as profiles. I have never used twin slices before and have briefly experimented with having both slices' audio in both ears and also each slice having its own ear.

Mni tnx.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Maybe I don't fully understand your question but each slice has a separate volume control.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The obvious answer is for you to mute the one you don't want to hear, but that's a manual operation, and I don't think that's what you are asking.  (Mute = right-click the speaker icon on the slice)
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks chaps for your responses. What I am looking for is an automatic mute so that when I pounce on a signal on slice 'A', slide 'B' mutes without any action on my part. Having to manually mute would significantly increase the mouse use and work load.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Maybe that would be a nice added option to a profile.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It's very easy to get used to doing as soon as you bring up the B slice. Yes, that is a good suggestion. What S(er)SDR will do is have an integrated dx cluster such that if you select a spot the A slice will go to his/her xmit freq. If there is a QRX or split or up1, a B slice will be opened for it on mute. In that scenario I know B is my xmit and to mute the receiver. That is different than you describe by just opening a B or C or D slice without any software knowing what your intentions are. Implicit in your last post Guy is anyone you pounce on will be working split. In a contest doesn't everyone work simplex? Still, anything one feels is a good suggestion for FRS, be sure to put it in as a well articulated idea and ask people to "like" it. So FRS knows where to place it in their list of things to do. You could phrase it this way, if a subsequent slice is opened in the same panadapter, assume it is xmit and muted. That should handle it, right?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Walt,

I'll put it up as an idea and hopefully be able to explain what I mean ;-).
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Set up SDR-Bridge and CW Skimmer.  In SDR-Bridge, click on on Radio tab and check the box marked "Mute all but active slice".
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do not use CW yet, but will check out SDR-bridge. Hopefully FRS would consider adding this to SSDR natively.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    You can do this with SDR-Bridge and never touch CW.   Just install it and open it.   Out of the box it mutes all non-active slices and un-mutes the active one.   It will do exactly what you are asking with zero configuration.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks, will do.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.