Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v1.4 PTT Remote (USB?) Switch

Mark K9BOO
Mark K9BOO Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Is there any word on how to operate via remote LAN using v1.4 SmartSDR software and a physical PTT switch? (the keyboard or VOX isn't the answer in my case)

The features in v1.4 remote LAN operation will be a game changer for me, enabling me to use my 6300 much more (and more easily) than I can now.

I am very close to having the perfect set-up (for me) planned for v1.4 when it arrives.  The outstanding issue in my case is how to key up TX without having to toggle or hold a key on the keyboard. 

The hand switch with my Heil headset is great, but any ideas/plans for how we would interface something like that simple switch to, for example, USB?  My electronics skillset doesn't extend to building those interfaces.

I'm guessing a similar switch interface must have been considered for CW operation, so the answer is probably apparent (just not to me <grin>).

Thanks!

Mark K9BOO

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    SmartSDR v1.4 will not have a hardware method for keying the radio via the remote PC.  You will have to use VOX or click MOX on the GUI.  This capability may be included in a future version of SmartSDR.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Mark I accomplished this with an arduino, see my post https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/v1-4-remote-ptt-switch 

I used an Arduino to interface my current hand switch to the Remote PC to send CAT MOX commands.  This is working great with v1.4.

W4WHL

• AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It would be great if we could assign PTT to a FlexControl button.

Just saying...
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Just starting operating from the deck last night :)  Works great of course.

But PLEASE add keystroke short cut for PTT !

For me a mic selection for "PC" and "PC with Spacebar PTT" would be great.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    SSDR remembers your last action witch a mouse and let's you repeat it with a space bar.

So click on MOX to talk. Then next time Space bar will activate MOX as PTT
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Good info. Did not know that !
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Actually SmartSDR cannot take credit for that.  It is a Windows feature.  It has been around for a looooong time.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Yea I have actually used it before but never thought about trying it on the Surface Pro tablet remote.  Cool !
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    This was added in 1.4.3.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I purchase a wireless remote switch over eBay consist of a reciever with the momentary on attached to the ptt on the back of 6500. And a fob to activate which looks like a auto key lock remote. Mine works all over the house. You can get them with longer range. I use this with headset when I do not want to use vox. Would not be of use on remote over wan.
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Great! I didn't have 1.4.3 installed long enough to find the feature!

I guess I'll add a 2nd FlexControl to my Dayton list in hopes they'll have this horrible hanging issue fixed by then.

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I had not looked at the new list of options and you are right the mox is in the list and I tried it out. Works still not the most user friendly way to do it. Seems if we can do this we should be able to do a USB device with a ptt button. How about it?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not to mention the PTT is part of the MIDI controller interface programs that William has pioneered.....oops.... I mentioned it!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I made a USB PTT button a while back.  This was using a micro adruino and using DDUTIL.  But I could easily make an app that uses TCP instead of CAT, so DDUtil is no longer required.  But there was no interest, so I never continued the project.  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/v1-4-remote-ptt-switch 

William
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I do not see PTT as an option with my Flex Control??  I honestly have stopped using my control knob because o the lack of features.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Rich it is mox
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,

I use an Asus T100TAM Windows 8.1 tablet with 1.4.11.  It works very well except that the internal Mic isn't very good. Therefore, I've settled on an external Mic/earphone that I picked up at Amazon for $13

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ONTEKK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpag...

The audio reports are quite good with this Mic. On the microphone is a button which is normally used for answering calls on a phone. If SmartSDR could detect this contact closure as a PTT, I believe it would be a great way for any similarly wired Mic to key the radio without having to carry any extra stuff around while using a Flex in remote mode.

Thanksimage
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I removed the circuit board from a USB numeric keypad & put it into a tiny plastic project box with a button mounted on the end.  I connected the button to the contacts for the space bar & now I have a small, handheld USB PTT.

Only problem now is that I've switched to a tablet & the only micro USB is often in use by the charge cord.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.