Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

In-Shack Control of Externals by the Flex-6000 Radio?

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas

Controlling In-Shack External Hardware via the Flex-6000 and SmartSDR (even if an add-in module) could be highly desirable.

Would seem an opportunity to push some of the core of what is another layer in "parallel programs" like DDUTIL into the SmartSDR software.

Would simplify LAN and later WAN control by putting all-in-one, including better building a "connection impaired/lost" set of rules for a shack's hardware.

Workable?

Steve

K9ZW

2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    My guess is that´s for what the USB ports in the back will be.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    SMOP
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    or, maybe, some sort of I2C translator, for the 15 pin port ?

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I've had great luck using the Moxa ethernet to serial servers  http://www.moxa.com/product/Serial_Device_Servers.htm to control amps, rotators, wattmeters and other accessories.  The Moxa Windows drivers are fantastic and bulletproof.

I've found old-school RS-232 is slightly easier to deal with for remotes than USB.  Don't worry if you need to add a small distribution Ethernet switch next to your radio.  I have four switch hops and under 1ms of round trip latency.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think it would be very handy to have band data out of the radio. It's one of those "got to have it" kind of features. But given that the on-wire protocol is public, I think the long term answer for controlling peripheral equipment is a dedicated network-attached box. It could connect to the radio and listen for band changes, tune requests, or whatever and provide the data in whatever format you want to control peripherals. How cool would that be, right? Use something like a PI2 with like 3 dozen digital I/O lines, and you have a lot of control possibilities. I'm hoping to prototype something like this with Windows 10 on the PI2. Peter K1PGV
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Tim, is the capability robust enough already to allow some user experimentation?

Steve K9ZW

• W5JD
    W5JD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I would like to see this functionality also.  I am considering one of the fanless PC computers now for this purpose at my remote location.  Any update on time frame for release by Flex?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Just starting to work with a 4o3a Station Genius XXL and expecting the Antenna (Switch) Geniuses to arrive in the next 2-3 weeks, a combination that will add a fair bit of what I was envisioning.

May add the Rotator Genius, which pretty much leaves just the Amp, Antenna Tuner and SWR/Watt Meter to get working remotely.  (Alpha 95, Palstar HF-Auto and Array Solutions PowerMaster at the home QTH.  Expert Amp, Palstar/Kessler HF-Auto and a TBD at the weekend QTH. - so all should be fairly easy to do.)

Steve K9ZW

Blog  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.