Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6000 Series and SmartSDR shut down

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have owned a Flex3k for about 2 years. I have done much to resolve the PowerSDR shutdowns due to RF. 

My question is, if I upgrade to a 6000 series that uses a network cable instead of FireWire will it  get rid of this problem. 

Bill

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Why do you think you have an RF problem? If you do, why don't you concentrate on good Amateur practices, instead of trying to solve it with a different radio?
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017

Bill,

I'm not sure who would hazard such a guess. But you could ask yourself one question, do any of the network cables in your shack have RF troubles?

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I had a 5k and never had any RF issues. 6000 had no RF issues
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    I think we are approaching the question haphazardly.

My first question would be to ask, "what issues did you have with the 3000 and how did you solve them?"

This would give us an idea regarding the nature of the problem and if the issue was addressed (removing the RFI from the shack) or was it mitigated by putting chokes on every cable.

So Bill - can you provide a little feedback to my question?

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    You're probably going to get a lot of answers on this one.  First, yes, if your problem is the Firewire cable inducting RF into the system then you will fix it with a 6000-series upgrade.   If, like me, you need a little nudge to break out the checkbook, then this is your nudge.

IEEE 1394 isn't the best way to move as much data as the Flex moves between the radio and the computer.  It was the best available at the time the legacy radios were in production, but it's just about been abandoned by the industry in light of various other methods.  Consider that another nudge.

My experience with RF is that the best place to start is at the source.  Resonant antennas with low SWR.  Grounding.  Good transmission lines with well grounded shielding.  Even then, you can still end up with RF.  One of the most common areas for intrusion is through the mic cable.  Heil shielded mic cable worked for me.  Next is ferrite beads.  Some say you can't have too many - I guess that's true if it fixes the problem. 

Good luck with the search and destroy mission. 

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Is it stand-alone or connected to your alarm system? If it's stand-alone, give up ham radio?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Let's not hijack Bills post.  If you have a different issue, please start a new topic.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim

Sorry for the delay have been in transit on my return trip from Florida this winter combined with a nice bout with the Flu.

My problems stem from some RFI in the shack. I switched the Firewire cable to a "Granite Digital" and installed some (a lot) chokes on the Firewire as well as the network and USB cables.  I have two 10 foot copper ground rods next to the tower and have a 6 gauge ground cable run into the shack as a ground as well as one run to the electrical box in another room.  
    All my radio equipment is grounded as well as my computer.

Even with all this  I still get PowerSDR shut downs on occasion. Particularly on 40 and 80 mtrs. Then you have to power off the radio and restart the radio and program.

It is not always possible to remove all RFI from the shack, and I find the Flex 3000 with a Firewire very sensitive to RFI. It will shut done even as low as 25 watts . 

I never had this problem with my old FT-1000MP running a serial cable to computer running HRD.

This is very annoying especially when in a QSO.   

My original question is,  RFI or not, does Smart SDR with a Flex 6300 or 6500 shut down due to RFI ? 

Bill
    VA3QB

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Bill,
    I had a similar experience on my 6700 and documented the solutions on my web page:   

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#RF_issues_and_solutions

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Ethernet_Lightning_Protection

Your issue may be different but I don't have any more problems regardless of the band or power.   Hope the links are helpful. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Al

In your grounding pictures you show the copper cable in a parallel loop.  Where did you get the clips that connected the cable to the wall and the clips that connected to the cables for connection to the hardware.   Also is there a reason for a parallel loop of copper ground wire.
    Bill
    VA3QB 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Bill.
    The clamps and wire were left over from my house lightning rod project.   All of the parts and wire are from Harger.

http://www.harger.com/harger.html

Here is the page for the clamps.  Wire, and other parts also available for complete lightning and grounding systems. 

The clamps are designed for two conductors.  Mechanically it better with two although it will clamp on just one wire.  I had plenty of wire so the the parallel loop of wire worked well.  

Harger used to sell direct on the web but now you have to go through one of their distributors.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.