Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How much bandwidth consumes SmartSDRCAT and DDutil in WAN VPN mode?

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in SmartSDR CAT
Hello OM:s. I understand that CAT controll of PA:s etc with SDR CAT (and DDutil to lesser extent perhaps) requires some bandwidth. Anyone know how much they consume in kbps? I am in the process of putting up a WAN VPN remote solution over 4G LTE till WAN v.2.0 is offered.
73s Kari SM0HRP   

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Kari

I'm sure someone has the measurements, but your largest concern will be the latency of the system, not the bandwidth.

Mike va3mw

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    Hi Mike, How do you mean. My latency now is about 40 ms on 4G. Will the VPN as such add much? 73s Kari
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Karl,  The primary network bandwidth for SSDR is the PA, WF and remote audio functions.  The PA and WF bandwidth are dependent on the screen size and update rates..  If you are using DAX, that also consumes bandwidth. CAT/DDUtil use very little in comparison.  If you can open Windows Resource Monitor and look in the network tab you can see the network loading for SSDR.   ( remember kbps = 8x Kbps ) and separately DAX and CAT.

AL, K0VM
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    Hi Al, thanks for input bit I do not own a Flex yet. I run a remote contest station now with K3:s, Acom 2000 and OM 2500/and three towers and I am investigating whether a 6700 could be an alternative for a SO2R given my 4G uplink bandwidth (2-3 Mbs with 100% excess bandwidth in case). A VPN " guru" indicated that CAT was almost like Dax " eating bandwidth ". I understand that 1 Mbs is needed for 2-3 panadapters in slow update mode. So have one Mbs left for CAT es Ddutil if enough. 73 Kari SM0HRP
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Kari

If you have a vpn guru, I would recommend that when you get a flex, then he might be able to wireshark it and figure it out.  Maybe you might be able to borrow one at some point.

The CAT data updates are very infrequent in the overall scheme and I very highly doubt that it will even be noticeable.  
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Karl,
       I have never seen CAT as being a large consumer of network bandwidth..  But I suppose it could depend on how active the external ( logging, modem, etc. ) program is.. At the moment my CAT is using  about 10KBps.   and DDUtil is running 5KBps. YMMV

AL, K0VM
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited May 2016
    Michael and Al it was the "VPN guru" K6OZY who indicated it in his excellent VPN tutorial that CAT was quite in need of bandwidth in his set-up. Again it depends on what you may use the CAT for as you say Al most items do not need that much bandwidth I suppose. E g ACOM2000A works only on 9600 baudot.
    BTW I have tried looking into getting VPN working and that seems to quite a djungle to get a grasp of what your 4G router is capable in respect of UDP allowable VPN channeling and your local PC router. 
    Hopefully SDR WAN v.2.0 is not far away.....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.