Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Greater "Flex"ibility enables more DX

George - AB4FH
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Since I bought the 6700 about six months ago, it has accelerated my accumulation of countries toward DXCC Challenge. With the prior setup of the TenTec Orion II and multiple hardware interfaces, such as the Micrologger Microkeyer II, changing modes from CW to another one was time consuming. That, coupled with a less integrated logging program than the Dx Lab Suite, caused me to miss fleeting DX contacts as band conditions changed. Now, I only have to click once to be in FLdigi and another click to be on one of many modes. Or, another click to be on JT65/JT9 with WJST-X. The net net of the Flex 6700 is I achieved the 1000'th LOTW confirmed country yesterday. The radio is truly a triumph of engineering...thank you. [hardware+firmware+software+support=excellent radio]

Comments

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    George I have to agree that the Flex radios integration with all the digital mode software is seamless. But I can't help thinking that the DX Cluster and all this integration is almost cheating. Chasing DX is like fishing in a barrel. I got my DXCC up to 225 over the years by "finding" DX, by tuning the bands. I'd love to see the DXCC numbers after the DX Cluster was activated.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    And in the days before the DX cluster, those contacts were real QSO's, not "your are 59 thanks"
  • George - AB4FH
    edited March 2018
    Lol.  I take it you guys don't like the latest technology.

My wife, who is also a Luddite, refused to use a computer for many years.  You should have seen her with the first smart phone.  Our kids had to keep explaining that she was suppose to leave it turned on so other people could call her.  She often said that she didn't hear the call. [It was turned off]

To each his own.  Per Leonard Nimoy, "Live long and prosper." :-)
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Yes, heaven forbid anyone pursuing their hobby in a way that you don't approve.  Let's get the no-code discussion started too while we're at it.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    And regarding how FRS designed the 6000 series, to quote Mr Spock, "The needs of many outweigh the needs of one".
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I was actually thinking about this very topic last night. I recalled my first contact with (I think) VP8TC - Pitcairn Is, specifically Tom Christian (RIP). There was no dxcluster, you had to be in the right place at the right time and have a good enough antenna to reach that far. I subsequently worked that station again, just a missionary operator not Tom. Just starting from scratch I made DXCC on LOTW no less in 2-3 months. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Kind of lessens DXCC. Oh Mike, don't let me loose on no-code. :-)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    George, I suspect the vast majority of people reading this LOVE their 6x00. But the biggest **** for the buck with DX is antenna, or perhaps more ERP. Neither diminish the technology behind the 6x00.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Was it K1N that had a pileup completely consume 12 meters? Non dxers were BS.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I called out sick while in high school cause I was up until 4 a.m. waiting in line to work VR6TC - worked Tom and got his QSL 8 months later. No Flex radio or PC, just my trusty Swan 500CX! It definitely was a cool time to be in the hobby!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yep, good ole days....so how's it feel to be an old timer Rob? I did it on my TS-530SP bare foot with a KLM KT34XA at 60'.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    "she's also a Luddite"
    As I recently cautioned, there is way too much "if you don't adore your radio you don't deserve it". That is cult-like thinking. You know Monster.com? Much of what makes your response time subsecond is my code. And your query ran simultaneously with, oh, about 15,000 other queries.  What's in your wallet?

We could all live better without name calling snide remarks.
  • George - AB4FH
    edited March 2015
    Hi Walt,
    I'm not sure I understand your ire.  My wife proudly calls herself a Luddite which only means a person who is opposed to technology.  She is a Molecular Biologist and I am a Physicist.  We are both Christians.  These are all monikers to which we are proud.
    I certainly hope that we can speak to one another with a measure of humor and, can I say, human kindness?

Anyway, I respect each person's views whether I agree with them or not.

I truly wish you a nice day. 
  • George - AB4FH
    edited March 2018
    To everyone.  I got my novice in 1969 and the first rig I could afford was in 1972.  It was a used Heathkit SB301 + SB401.  I modified it with a Johnson T/R switch to run QSK.  I was very active in the National Traffic System and served regularly as net control for the Carolinas Net during those years.  I had to work to pay my way through undergraduate and graduate schools and raising the first of three children, but managed to squeeze in time for some contests.  My wire antennas were inverted v's supported by trees.  et cetera ...et cetera.  Do I look back fondly at those years?  Sure.  Do I enjoy whatever equipment I have?  Sure.  Do I thank the people who made all the fun in Ham Radio possible since 1969?  Yes.  Do I respect all the flavors of Ham Radio with its many interests?  Absolutely.  Do I like my fellow Ham's?  Yes. 

Thanks for letting me set the record straight, folks.

Respectfully.  Now, let's get back to having fun!
    George

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    George, since you politely asked, some months ago Tim put out a post encouraging everybody to be respectful to others. Despite your wife, a Christian Molecular Biologist being proud to be called a Luddite, the rest of western civilization consider being called that inflammatory, demeaning, insulting, disrespectful, provocative, or very understandably could. To do it while laughing (LOL) amplifies that. There have been other posters recently that have said words to the effect of "perhaps those that do not feel as well <like I do> would be happier with a standard radio". That comment is equally demeaning, disrespectful, insulting, and provocative. There have been others haunting this board who have expressed the opinion that those Flex owners, who do not think as they do, do not  deserve to own a Flex 6000. Do you not see a theme developing here? Do you not see a parallel to 'let's purge the non-believers", "only the truly righteous deserve to be Flex owners and members of our club". To say you 'respect each person's views", I would politely disagree, you laughed at them, you disrespected them. When one puts something in writing, words matter, intent does not. The reason I called you on it, and others should I happen to catch it, is to remind them of their responsibility to be respectful of others, especially when they are wrong. I am sure I speak for all when I say it is terrific you are enjoying your radio. It is truly a terrific radio, ARRL and Sherwood Labs ranks it as one of, if not the, best available of the current market. But it's a radio, not Divine intervention. As, it was either Stu or Howard, said the other day, and I'll paraphrase, a good operator with bad radio will out perform a bad operator with a good radio. Add a DXCluster which tells everybody listening the DX station is right there. If you have patience and a good radiator, you'll make the contact. Add to that CW Skimmer and there is no luck involved. To digress a tad, I was telling Al, NN4ZZ, some months back that soon (very soon) contests will be entered by software programs. They run 24 hrs/day, don't need sleep, or food or bathroom breaks. They are already pretty good at deciphering CW and will only get better, they can listen to DXClusters simultaneously with multiple bands, find an empty spot and set up shop. When that band closes it can move to another band. It's like two software programs playing chess. The human is optional. That will happen in my lifetime, your lifetime. So, George, does that explain why disrespectful words and condescension maybe should be addressed head on and not allowed to fester? 
  • George - AB4FH
    edited March 2015
    Wow, Walt.  Do I really deserve all this for laughing good naturedly about negative comments about my praise?  Notice that Burt likened my using a DX Cluster to my hunting animals in a zoo.  Please jump on him, too, for an offensive remark or simile.

FWIW, I felt that they were jumping on me for having the audacity to use a DX Cluster.  Also, why do you use the term "in Western culture"?  Is that some derogatory comment about my Japanese-American heritage?  I politely ask you to consider how negative your chiding of a fellow human being has become.  This is the first time that I have reacted negatively on this reflector and it's not to them but to you for LECTURING me.  Do you understand how condescending you sound to me?   I don't understand your righteous indignation, but rest assured, I fully understand the different opinions about computer assisted operations and as I said before, without your arguing to the contrary, "I respect their opinions."  

Having vented, I really, really just want to enjoy this hobby and let you and all other hams enjoy it too.  So, please, get off my back.

'Nuff said?

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The Luddites were 19th-century English textile artisans who protested against newly developed labour-replacing machinery from 1811 to 1817. It's not clear to me that would resonate with South Americans, Indians (as in subcontinent of), Africans or Asians. How in the world would I, or anyone, know your ancestry or religion? Are you seeking cover claiming Asian ancestry and Christianity, neither of which are at all relevant yet you made a point of declaring both? I'll make a point of avoiding your private Idaho.
    Burt is correct.
    Yeah, I think nuff said.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Cool it you two guys

Nobody is going to live a day longer or die a day sooner because they own a Flex

That said, my XYL is an unintentional Luddite.. if there is a wrong button to push you can absolutely count on her to push it...

OTOH.. she turns out to be a fantastic Beta Tester because if it is possible to do it wrong she will find the way (unintentionally) to do it wrong...  I actually used her amazing talent to trouble shoot some products...

So there is a bright side to everything..

NOW GUYS.. go play radio...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.