Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Kudos For V1.4

L.Kubis
L.Kubis Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My 6500, which has been waiting patiently in it's box for a few years, finally went live as a Remote Station yesterday on my near-by site, thanks to V1.4.

So far it's been functioning smoothly and flawlessly making it a real pleasure to use.

My thanks go out to Gerald, Steve and the rest of the Flex crew for creating such an awesome spectral machine!

I can now barely wait for WAN as this will be the real game changer!

Thanks guys!

Lloyd
VE3ERQ

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You must really have extrodinary will power!!! It is like a **** lady sitting next to a box of chocolates and ignoring them!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Lloyd Now that remote works, you can always try to WAN Remote via VPN until 2.0 There have been a number of successful VPN WAN solutions posted recently.
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I've looked through the VPN posts and didn't see any that were successful other than between two fixed points.

Did I miss something??

Cheers!
    Lloyd
    VE3ERQ
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Not sure what you mean...Do you suggest several people using the radio at the same time?
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No kidding, if I knew it was sitting in a box for that long, I'd go crazy.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Well - the 6x00 is fixed, but the other end could be a laptop or something else mobile, *but* across a wide area network (over the internet) instead of just on your local network at home.  That's what the "WAN" idea is referring to.

True WAN support is coming in v2.0 but it isn't quite here yet.  Some of us have been looking for a workaround until official support in SSDR shows up for it.  Either way, we're all just having fun.

edit: corrected fixed vs. laptop on the other end just to be clear
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Typical WAN operation, Jim where the control point could be anywhere there is internet connectivity outside my home. Only 1 user.

I do understand that WAN is coming, however there was a suggestion that WAN operation could be achieved now using a VPN as described on this reflector. 

I was looking for information as to how this was achieved.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Two fixed points are very confusing to me. I can be at one fixed point a thousand miles away and the radio can be at one fixed point. A fixed point can be off the LAN as well on the LAN. Actually two fixed points could be on Earth and on the moon for that matter.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @LLoyd

Not sure what you mean by "any that were successful other than between two fixed points"

AFAIK several people have been successful running 1.4 via VPN.  All you need is a VPN between the radio and the remote.
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Howard my question on VPN was based on the comments similar to the ones contained in the thread entittled "Remote via VPN Challenge" which seemed to conclude that WAN operation using a VPN was not feasible for the radio in it's present state.

I do understand that one can reprogram some routers to accommodate VPN and that a mobile laptop can be loaded with VPN software but even with that the comments indicate that there is still some problem.

Some say it can be done while others seem to indicate it can't --- I'm confused!!

Nevertheless my extended LAN functions beautifully!! But WAN would be nice!

Cheers!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I have played with VPN Using a couple of old spare VPN routers and I was definitely able to get Both the Local and Remote to believe that they were on the same LAN. So effectively I simulated WAn via VPN WAN. It definitely worked as a proof of concept. I also believe that if I played around a lot more I could Cut down on the Complexity of the configuration. I was intrigued by OpenVPN a as a possible solution. Would I use it in my travels,,, ...as far as I have currently progressed its ok for two fixed points on WAn but too much **** to schlep for my travels. Like u I continue to dream about V2 WAN By the amount of traffic on the community about LAN Remote and WAN it is pretty obvious that native WAN will be a big seller.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Could you direct me to a discussion or write-up of using two routers at different locations to create a VPN. I find this idea very intriguing.

JIm , K6QE

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.