Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Unable to read slice volume gain

IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited February 2017 in SmartSDR API
Hello,

I am wondering which is the correct subscription command for reading slice volume gain every time it is changed.

In the startup process my client sends the following subscription commands:

C2|sub tx all
C3|sub atu all
C4|sub pan all
C5|sub slice all
C6|ant list
C7|mic list

but none of them can give me the slice volume gain changes.
Using wireshark I found I miss the updated status for the following command:
C4988|audio client 0 slice 0 gain 85

Can you help me?

73' Enzo
iw7dmh

Comments

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Is it a potential bug?
    After more investigations I found that using "sub slice" command I can get changes on every slice gain controls (agc_mode, agc_threshold, audio_pan, audio_mute, agc_off_level) but no audio_gain.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    You're looking for audio_stream.  An audio_stream is used to combine all of the audio from multiple slices into a single audio stream.

Wait -- no I think you just want to look at the slice for these changes.  The update line looks like this:
    slice <number> audio_gain=<0-100> audio_pan=<0-100> audio_mute=<0|1>
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, I just want to look for that changes, but please give a look at my parser log.

I can get all update status but not the volume gain one. 
    Stautus message

==STATUS==
    S8D08D24A|slice 0 audio_gain=50 audio_pan=54 audio_mute=0
    ===SLICE STATUS UPDATED==

==STATUS==
    S8D08D24A|slice 0 audio_gain=50 audio_pan=56 audio_mute=0

... ???? ...

==STATUS==
    S8D08D24A|slice 0 audio_gain=60 audio_pan=56 audio_mute=1

Initially my slice volume gain is set to 50.

- then I change balance from 54 to 56 - (volume gain is still 50)
    - then I set volume gain to 60 (but no status message here)
    - then I set audio mute (I get message status here and now volume gain is 60)

It seems I miss a message status only with the volume gain control.

• Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    In general status messages are not sent to the client that requested the change unless the change is not accepted.  For example, if you command the radio to a certain frequency it CAN tune, you just get an OK response.  If you ask to go to a frequency it cannot tune, it will send you a status with the current frequency. Looking at the code for slice audio, it appears to tell the client every time the audio level is updated with an
    audio client <client_id> slice <slice_number> gain=###
    command.  I'm not in front of a radio at the moment, but if this info does't help, let me know and we'll go find out what is going on.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok Steve, it is very clear now the command/response behaviour.
    So I repeated my tests using a simple telnet client and SSDR to set volume gain.
    It seems the command is immediately accepted from the rig, as I can listen to the level difference, but no status message in the telnet console.
    Thank a lot for our answers and enjoy your weekend.

Regards
    Enzo

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Last update: I promise. :)
    Sending the following commands from telnet, also SSDR can't update its slide level.
    Update happens only when I change the pan value.

S8D08D24A|slice 0 agc_mode=med agc_threshold=35 agc_off_level=10
    C4988|audio client 0 slice 0 gain 2
    R4988|0|
    C4988|audio client 0 slice 0 gain 80
    R4988|0|
    C4988|audio client 0 slice 0 gain 50
    R4988|0|
    C4988|audio client 0 slice 0 pan 20
    R4988|0|
    SE5FB529E|slice 0 audio_gain=50 audio_pan=20 audio_mute=0

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes I have notice this also, Pan updates the display in SmartSDR, but slice gain is not updated until pan is updated. 

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Sorry if I ask for it again.
    I am wondering if are there any news about this issue.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    I just looked at the code in the radio and the radio should always send out an update to all clients when the adjustment is made.  Can you confirm that you are receiving the status message in the telnet client when the change is made?  Is it just that SmartSDR is not showing the update?
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No, I can't.
    Status message isn't sent in the telnet when I send any gain command (like C4988|audio client 0 slice 0 gain 50).
    I suppose this is the reason that SSDR, and any other subscripted client, can't be noticed about gain adjustements.
    If I send a pan command I get the status message.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    OK I found and fixed this issue this afternoon.  It'll be in the next release of SmartSDR. (#1348)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.