Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X 1.4 RC4 is out, config probs

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
Having the same problem as George here https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/wsjt-x-1-4-and-6000-control. Has anybody had any success?

I too have used TS2000 and Flex6xxx and am working from a screenshot of my 1.3 CAT settings and I just cannot get it to work.

Comments

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have been testing the 1.5 developmental version of WSJT-X and cannot get CAT and PTT to work either. I have been using a single slice at 4.2KHz transmit and receive bandwidth on my 6700, however and that works fine although it does not give you the preferred transmit range of 1.5KHz to 2.0KHz.

Ed, K0KC
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just use MiniDeluxe and HamRadioDeluxe setting. See my posting under: https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2015
    Can confirm. This setup works FB with WSJT-X 1.4 for me. Don't even need to own HRD to have this work correctly!
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    That is worrying as RC4 is slated to be the official release.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Alex, can you be more specific, it is a very long thread that you referenced and not being familiar with the software involved, I find it impossible to get enough info to get started.

I have posted on the dev forum so will see what they say there. I'm really trying to get everything working as v1.5 will be awesome...major improvements in the decoders. 1.4 RC4 was supposed to fix all known CAT issues (LOL).
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Although I am getting a bit off-topic, I can confirm that the JT-9 decoder (at least) is much improved in v. 1.5. I can decode -27 and -28 dB signals with ease! I am not sure about the JT-65 decoder, but it works as least as well as previous versions.

Ed, K0KC
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Ed,

I am just looking forward to hopefully be able to decode both JT65 and JT9 at the same time - something which I have not succeeded in doing. I find in 1.3, JT65 only mode does not decode JT65 only JT65 +JT9 mode will. I can only decode JT9s by using the JT9 only decoder.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2015
    guy, 1.4 didn't fix any cat issues for me. But it works well with MiniDeluxe, and I can run 65/9 FB in one 5khz wide slice.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Try setting WSJT-X to use Kenwood TS-480 for CAT, and use a PTT + rts SmartCat CAT port. the Hamlib Kenwood settings got more selective in RC4. Still works FB TS-2000 was working but for now it's TS-480. I notified them the developers list this morning. "currently the Hamlib support for the FlexRadio 6xxx series is not sufficient for WSJT-X" was the reply from the list.they suggested that we try TS-2000, which they also admit is newly broken. SmartSDR speaks TS-480 CAT, or TS-2000 CAT so use the one that works with the version of WSJT-X, your using. RC4 is when it changed. Ah the joys of Alpha software, It's always something!, usually better than it was, when you figure out what it is. It seems to do JT65 and JT9 simultaneously better. The JT9 gets decoded more often. and both decode faster with less CPU usage. 1.4 - RC4 and 1.5-alpha were both updated, I haven't seen any show stoppers in either version, Need to run them both, more, before I declare the winner you guys still want to test software, give it a go.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Most of you know this, but for the rest. WSJT-X 1.3 is the current release. 1.4 is the next release and theres RC2 and RC4 versions that work on windows. 1.5 is the code being written it changes daily and either works better or worse daily, the good news is it's working better more often than not, and Joe Taylor has suggested making it the next release and jumping past the 1.4 versions in the release path. It's really that good.

But before that happens there will need to be a 1.6-alpha development version started and a 1.5 RC series begun, they have to have code to work on. 1.5 work will be frozen and renamed 1.5-RC1, and also renamed 1.6-alpha and the work will continue, working on 1.6 from that point forward, Bug fixes to the 1.5 version will cause the RC version number to increment. Basically the available versions are "old, stable, and no longer developed(1.3). Almost ready for primetime, and old age.(1.4). Young and flexible, and already working hard(1.5). And as yet unborn, will require diapers, and near constant nursing.(1.6). 

Funny how close the version numbering is, and the descriptions, there may only be one kind of reality. or at least only one, released, and no RC or alpha versions planned at this time, perhaps the creator has given up. download your copy of Reality 1.0 release-only today! Extract it, Install it, Start it, Use it, email the creator if you have trouble, reboot when necessary.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • David--NV0O
    David--NV0O Member
    edited May 2019
    Guy, in the Flexradio yahoo group someone said to use Kenwood TS-480 instead of Kenwood TS-2000 for the rig emulation used for Flex-6xxx. I tried that here and it fixed the CAT issue with WSJT-X1.4-rc4.

73, David NV0O

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Jay, thanks for the updated setup info.  Used TS-480 and now all runs fine. 

Thanks, again.     Pat    WR1Z
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Jay,
    Mni tnx, TS 480 works FB. No changes to the PTT setup from v1.3.
    Happy to supply screenshots of my setup if anybody will find it helpful.
    I am VERY excited about getting the RC of 1.5 - the improvements to the decodes, esp the JT9 one have been amazing. Speedups, more sensitiviity and multithreaded.
    73 de Guy
    PS Still cannot do simultaneous decode with 1.4 RC4
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks David, works FB. mni tnx, Guy
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hmm who was that Guy?
    Glad TS-480 works for you. Bill Sommerville slipped me a modified 1.4 RC4 that works  using TS-2000 settings, Coming soon in a download by you! so we will revert, or not soon.  

I actually do other things besides posting silly stuff in the Community. I read and post seriously elsewhere, I read and post seriously here too, but here is where I let loose the silly stuff. Sometimes I do it for fun, Sometimes I do it to bump a thread back up the list. Sometimes it's the "voices" posting. So, am I a genius? (not likely) or am I some guy with one or two genius voices floating around in his head?(some of the stupider voices claim their geniuses),(luckily they can't type)(yes, those we medicate)
    Whining tends to stir them up. Hope you enjoyed this explanation(Truth) (Truth!, you can't handle the TRUTH) (Daddy's Home)(Lucy! you got some splaining to do!)

See what multi-tasking can achieve? 
    Meanwhile, back to reality.
    Lookit the head on that one.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I think 1.4 RC_x is where the CAT improvements are being done. and 1.5-alpha is where the decode improvments are being written. Anyone need help finding and installing 1.5? It changes almost daily, generally it gets better. occasionally it throws a rod. I like getting greasy, and have most of the right tools. YMMV, remember it's YM though.

73, Jay - NO5J     
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Back on Topic, PTT by CAT works too.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Running WSJT-X 1.5.0.devel 5007 now, which works well. CAT via MiniDeluxe (I need
    my HRD Logbook). 
    I copied the program from http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtsdk/files/win32/2.0.0/wsjt-suite/
    and it runs without installing.
    I can always switch back to 1.3 if I find problems.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jay, I'd start taking the meds again ;-). Seriously, your "silly" posts do make me smile, so keep them up
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Oh I'm still on the meds, they make me smile too, both the posts and the meds.

Life is a Comedy, If you ain't laughing, your probably either a comedian or you might be the joke. It's weird out there, and someday we all leave here, might as well practice our weird. Someday normal will only be a memory. Weird is the future.

Keeping it weird! 
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The fixes for TS-2000 were submitted and accepted upstream by the Hamlib devs, so should start appearing 1.5-alpha builds as well as 1.4 RC candidates soon. 

73, Jay - NO5J
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I also got a 'fixed' RC4 and one of the devs said "The changes in version I have sent you will be in the next v1.4 release version".

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Weird how that happens sometimes.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Using WSJT-X 1.5.0-devel. and it works fine with these settings:
    Rig = OmniRig
    PTT= CAT
     Mode = none
    Split operation = Fake It

same setting worked with 1.4 also.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I'm not sure about the Windows version, but the new 1.4 for Mac includes a KVASD installer which is said to improve reception somewhat. Can't say "for sure" but this morning I seemed to be seeing more decodes, and even some -24 and -25 signals. Give it a whirl!
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Also with the 1.4 RC4. Cannot say I have noticed much difference. JT9 will decode signals that I cannot see, whilst JT65 seems to miss those that I can. The only thing I have noticed is that JT65 only mode now works - it did not in v1.3. Still no working simultaneous decoding here.

Big decoder improvements in v1.5.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    For me, 1.5 is decoding both JT65 and JT9 at the same time. My problem is JT9 at my QTH on 40m and 20m is a rare occurrence, 2-3 signals max. per interval, JT65 tends to be continuous from about 0Hz to 2500Hz in the passband my passband is set to 4000HZ  with the divide at 2500hz but they do decode both every interval. as low as -26 dB. With a real antenna I might see some more JT9. This spring in between Thunderstorms and Tornados I hope to get my Hexbeam up and raise the Dipole/ZS6BKW to 50 feet at the center feedpoint. and Debug the Elevated 6BTV and get it up to about 25 feet. the 30 foot high ZS6BKW I've been stuck with since the fall rainy season kicked in just isn't cutting it I guess. Better planning next year.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have noticed a considerable decoding delay on 1.5  during very busy cycles, to the point that I have to wait few seconds into the next cycle to get all decoded, and I have missed a couple of responses but I can't be 100% sure .

I am using an i7-3960 @ 3.3 GHz and 1 TBytes SSD.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Which revision -rXXXX did you compile?
    1.5 is all about improving the decoders, 1.4 was all about rig control. expect the decode speeds will continue to improve. there a JTSDK project on sourceforge that
    releases Compiled windows binaries with installers about 2-3 times a month, the main 1.5-alpha code is being worked on in the WSJT project on Sourceforge, but its source only - compile it yourself stuff. there are instructions on what's needed and how to compile the alpha code on Joe's main Princeton WSJT website. Not all that hard to do. if your ok with using command line tools. It's better just to let them work on the code sometimes it won't even compile. you can browse the Commit messages  on sourceforge too, but the comments aren't always that informative.  

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay,

I installed the 32 bit executable in the 1.5 suite.
     I am using it now on 10 meters and all seams to be OK.
    Yesterday 20m was crowded with heavy splatter & QRM.
    The delay was noticeable on 20m under those conditions
    When I first ran 1.5 it did a routine on configuring it self for best performance.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.