Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AGC again Not AGC-T

Len
Len Member
I have asked about this before but all you folks do is explain how to set up AGC-T

I don't have a problem with that.  It seems that when I am listeniing to a weak station and then a

strong station comes on the volume gets so loud and a the agc does not cut back     it makes it very uncomfortable trying to ride the volume control up and down   appreciate any help with this    I tried my Icom 7600 on the same stations and it works great.  I am using the 6500

Thanks

Len

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    my best guess it that you have your AGC-T set too high

I usually run mine around 40-45
  • Len
    Len Member
    edited July 2015
    I have mine low it stops the blasting of the strong station but then can't hear the weak station
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Maybe a call down to Dudley (Flex-Radio Tech-Support) would be in order. During those sessions where you are going back and forth with loud and then faint stations, you may want to set the AGC mode to "Fast" so that the recovery between loud and faint is quick. I have a 6300 , and the AGC-T control on mine is set anywhere from 20-40 depending on band and band conditions (with the AGC mode generally set to Normal. ) AGC is turned off during digital mode operations per Steve's recommendations. It is the single best control to reduce atmospheric hash while maintaining receiver sensitivity, thus reducing operator fatigue. I adjust my AGC-T on every session and on every band change. This is not, in my opinion, a set it and forget it control.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It happens to me when I set accidentally a low gain on my amplified speakers (Bose Companion 2). So I tend to set slice volume and master volume very high (over 90-95%).Try to set master and slice volume to 80% and then give more gain to your amplified speaker.
    Also, when strong stations come near the weak ones, a wide TNF could help a lot.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I always use master volume on max, and slice volume on one-half. I use the speaker's volume control to make up the difference. I have never had this problem, except when I had the AGC in OFF position for digital and forgot to change it . . . OUCH! I usually find that with slice volume on half, that the headphone volume on one-half is a ought right for me.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I do that too Ken, master at full, and I control volume with the AGC. never miss a weak signal.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I also usually have the AGC-T ported to the AUX2/center button on my FlexControl Knob so that I can quickly adjust it as I S&P in a contest.  AUX1 either controls RIT or Sends my Call in CW.  AUX3 either controls XIT or sends my contest exchange in CW.  That is what works for me.  The beauty is that the FlexControl is customizable, to some degree, and will receive more flexibility in the future..

Now that I have moved to N1MM+ for contesting, I usually use the FlexControl for RIT/XIT.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I've got the AGCT level assigned to the left button on the Flexcontrol, Slice volume on the middle button, VFO assigned to the knob. master volume stays on max. Volume control on my speakers substitutes for the master slider. It makes it simple to ride the AGCT and slice volume. Had to assign the knob to do something might as well do the same for my left hand. Adjusting the AGCT now allows my left hand to have a purpose in life, when I gave up smoking and lefty no longer felt useful, he more than any other body part, really craved holding on to cigarettes, he just hung there at the end of my arm, just like a left hand, nearly useless. Now he's started adjusting, I guess left hands have feelings too.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually, it sounds to me that you are setting the AGC-T too LOW, and turning the volume up loudly so you can hear the weaker stations. Then a station that is stronger than the AGC threshold comes in and blasts you. Please follow the AGC-T instructions that Tim posted and you should be ok.
  • Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited March 2015
    Ken,
       Thanks for the tip about the 500hz EQ setting, I never thought about that. After reading your post I went right out to the shack and tried it. Made a slightly noticeable difference........another tool in the cw toolbox :)

Really looking forward to the release of v1.5, and the weak signal enhancements. 

Tom
    W4TMW

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just remember that every time you add something like the RX EQ 500 Hz boost, or the APF filter, or change the preamp setting, you need to readjust the AGT-T because each one of them will move the "Sweet Spot" or "Knee" in the process.  Having the AGC-T on the FlexControl Knob is very handy in this case....  This is a hotrod rig, but sometimes you have to drive it like a manual shift Corvette.
  • Len
    Len Member
    edited July 2015
    Thanks everyone that responded

I will give all a try

Len WA7ZXZ
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Tim. Best explanation found here.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Tim, GREAT explanation.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    "Actually, it sounds to me that you are setting the AGC-T too LOW, and turning the volume up loudly so you can hear the weaker stations. Then a station that is stronger than the AGC threshold comes in and blasts you."

This doesn't make sense to me.  I think you meant to say "AGC-T too HIGH, and turning the volume up loudly so you can hear the weaker stations."  Then a strong station comes in and AF output rises dramatically and blasts you.

Barry N1EU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If by "high" you mean too far to the left, then, yes. My internal terminology is..right high, left low! In AGC-T, that is probably backwards.... It is probably the only control in SSDR that is that way.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I usually set AGC-T by listening to the weakest station, then adjusting either left or right until the volume is right for your ears.  It may also be necessary to adjust the volume control for comfortable level.  With the AGC-T set for the weak station the strong one will be adjust and should be about the same volume. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.