Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any progress report of v 1.4?

Takeshi Yamada
Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Could anyone report the progress/status of v1.4, like alpha tests completed and about to be launch by the end of Nov.?  
Gerald's announcement implies that FRS will release v1.4 in the end of November, and it is about a week to the month end.  Although I do not insist to the implied due date, I would be very happy if any of the progress report and rough launch schedule becoming available at this point of time.

73 de JI1BNU
Ken Yamada

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Like all cakes in the oven...

It will come out of the oven when it is done!
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    He got you on that one.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Seems like reasonable request.  It's "about a month" now.  A "Basic 1.4", as on the
    published roadmap, with "remote inside LAN", and basic FM, would be great, with the
    additional features to follow in December.
       Too much cake at one time sometimes not good for you.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    whit all that time cake will came out the oven like ash ;-)

honestly i have hope to have see it for last week before end of mont
    but see it no yet ready ..
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Dudley stated on the net yesterday that they are working on a few final details and it should be soon.
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thank you Alan for updating.

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I too would really like to hear from Flex about how things are going. I'm starting to get concerned that things aren't going well. It's time for Gerald or Steve to reassure me again;)

Jon...kf2e
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I may be wrong, but I think they have a few things up their sleeves that will surprise.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Just speculation, but I'm encouraged that Dudley uses the word "details" and not "problems".
    Also I'm encouraged that there has been no end of February "Insider".  With any luck the next
    "Insider " will accompany the 1.4 release and it will be soon.  Coming out with an "Insider"
    followed in a few days by the release wouldn't make much as much sense as their being
    concurrent.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I speculated the same and expected to have Insider at the day 1st of March which did not happen, though.   Also, I support your (and my) speculation because Steve explained about AGC-T with fairly long explanations that implies me he was released from the hard part of v1.4 release.
    Don't take this serious it is just my speculation.  And it is fun to speculate.
    Thank you FRS for giving me another fun!!

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I was hoping 1.4 would be out prior to the ARRL DX International.  Would have been nice to not be confined to the shack.  Oh well hopefully soon.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the update, Steve.  It helps reduce the anxiety!

Will the performance improvements be "noticeable" to the average operator, or are they primarily "under the hood" and CPU load reductions? Tease us a little, if you have time...!

I am already aware of the massive reduction in data throughput brought by the change in audio codec, etc.  Really looking forward to LAN Remote.  I am now looking for a good Bluetooth or other wireless headset for that purpose.  Also looking forward to FM and some of the other improvements.

Thanks for the hard work.

Ken - NM9P
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    It is always good to "hear" from you, Steve!

I feel like I am 5 years old again waiting for Santa to deliver that special v1.4 present!

I live in New England and last night I thought I heard Santa and the Sleigh land on my roof to deliver 1.4!

No joy. It was only the ice dams causing my roof to buckle.

But what fun it will be when 1.4 gets loaded!

Mike N1MD
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, sounds like there is nothing to it..lol
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    WOW ! sounds great !  thanks for the details, steve

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Thanks Ken for the detailed update and please keep them coming.  I thank you and the rest of the engineering staff for working on these issues.  Flex is truly a great radio system and with time and persistence will continue show the way to remarkable performance. 
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the update Steve.  Just hearing from you folks means a lot to all of us folks out here trying out best to patiently wait for v1.4.   Having no news was getting to be just a bit tough for us!  Thanks again and I for one really appreciate the effort all of you at Flex are putting into blazing this new trail through the SDR forest! 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Love those gory details, Steve!  Thanks.  Just enough sugar to make the medicine (waiting) go down!  With all that, it is easier to understand any delays.  Sounds like almost a complete rewrite of a lot of the code.... Then you get to do it all again for V.2.0!  ha ha!

Ken - NM9P
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Don't you just hate it when destabilizing code changes cause regressions!  Sigh.  It's the way of the world.

Better to bite the bullet and get them all fixed the right way, as opposed to succumbing to pressure and shipping something with a bunch of work-arounds.  That just leads to problems later.

Please.  Take the time and fix stuff at the root cause now. When 1.4 is great, everyone will be happy and start waiting for 1.5!

• Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited January 2016
    Serve no wine before it's time...
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    How about a new hardware platform that covers 125 khz to 450 mhz inclusive.  Surely, that would be something Steve can do as an extra lunch-time project.
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited March 2015
    donnt hold your breath
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The upside of waiting for 1.4 is that we don't have to listen to people complaining about the release of 1.5... yet.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Good one Steve, Maybe the will not suggest a release date on that one, or any others..
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I hope the lack of discussion of release dates will not mean FRS clamming up on info like they have with 1.4; in particular we were told that FreeDV and the Waveform API were out officially, then rumours that they were in again. Then a few weeks ago there was one bug to be squashed and then more a few weeks later. The flow of info should be consistent during a dev period - keeping to a regular period (monthly/bi-monthly) would be best even if there is not much to say.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    We beat them for speaking. We beat them for not speaking. I would keep my mouth shut if I were them it's much easier. Mike N9DFD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.