Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

loose mic connector Flex 3000

I messed up. While arranging my desk I picked up my Flex to shift it and had some pressure on the mic connector. When I got it in place I noticed the mic cable was loose. Apparently I pulled the mic jack off the board inside the flex. It still works if get the connector in just the right spot.

I am a pretty good hand with soldering iron, with years of technical experience. Is repairing this connector something I should try myself? I say yes, what say you? Has anyone been inside their Flex?

Answers

• Scott AC8DE
    Scott AC8DE Member
    edited February 2015
    I've opened mine several times.  It's just a board mount connector, as you are aware.  I guess it depends on if it is just the connector or if you tore a path on the board.  And it depends on how good you are with a fine tipped, well controlled iron.  Controlling he heat accurately and being quick so you don't do damage is the key.

It's your call my friend.  But if you question your ability to do this at all, I would send it to Flex.   I'm not sure that learning on your Flex is a good idea.  You don't want to cook a trace on the board and have to replace the board, which in effect, means replacing the rig.

But if you do decide to move forward, inspect the connector carefully.  You may need to replace it completely if you bent its pins, which I suspect you did.  You could bend them back, but it's going to be weakened.  And if you have to replace it, it will mean desoldering first, adding more risk of board damage.

Tread lightly.
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the info. It was just what I was looking for.

Do you know if it is a thru hole or surface mount connector?
  • Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited February 2018
    If you need to ask these questions then you do not have the skills/experience to properly fix it.
    Send it in for a verified/tested factory repair.
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited February 2015
    Yeah...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It is worth sending to get it fixed. If you damage something then your in trouble, I agree with Kuby
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I recommend submitting a HelpDesk support ticket so we can issue you an RMA to have it repaired.  We will fix the mic connector and fully check out and recalibrate the radio to make it good as new.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Don't feel too bad.  Many of us have had to pay what Dave Ramsey calls the "**** tax!"
    I accidentally put a short in the 9 pin ACCY connector on my 1500 and fried the audio output chip.
    FLEX's technical and repair service was quick, thorough, and reasonably priced.  Good guys all around.  

Ken - NM9P
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited June 2020
    Yeah it sucks. I bought this radio used and have only had it a week or so. I took it apart and it has been repaired in the past with, judging from the white residue, super glue. Apparently the jack came loose and they just glued the body back to the board before any traces pulled loose.

I don't have the equipment to build a couple of new traces that small or to resolder the 1 SMT component (C182). 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When you get it back, I would suggest designing a mike cord strain relief anchor... like a plastic cable clip secured by one of the case screws that will take the strain off of the mike connector.
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited February 2015
    Good thought!
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited November 2016
    Well, I have an RMA and the radio will be on it's way to Texas in a couple of hours. This is better left to the professionals.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all of your advice.
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited February 2015
    Flex received my radio on Tuesday. I got an email the same day from a Katie saying it was in the queue to be looked at. Two week lead time...
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited February 2015
    And then this morning I got an email saying the work was done, connector repaired, and a full calibration was performed.

Awesome!

• Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited February 2015
    Katie just called me. We arranged payment and she is shipping the radio. She said I should have it within 3 days. Great service!

I haven't seen the bill yet but the amount suggests the one hour bench fee plus an hour labor.

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Are you the guy who shot Billy the Kid?

(bet you get that a lot) You would have to be 140 years old. LOL
    But, are you in the family?
  • Pat Garrett
    Pat Garrett Member
    edited February 2015
    I have heard that a time or two... lol!

One group of Garrett's moved to VA, KY area and then on to Texas. The sheriff was in that group. My branch stayed in VA and KY. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.