Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flexlib for v1.4 changes

James Whiteway
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR API
Just wondering, when the next version of SmartSDR shows up, if changes in Flexlib api (newer version) will cause a basic app I'm working on to fail. For example, if I query the radio for Current Slice Frequency, will calls that I am currently using still work in the newer version of the api? Or will all code have to be rewritten? I have seen that sort of thing happen with Microsoft's dll's in the past where a application written using a particular dll that worked, would fail when used with the later version of the same dll.
And lastly, will the new version of the api be available at the same time that v1.4 ships?
james
WD5GWY

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Maybe.  If your app is built using the first version of the radio discovery protocol to locate radios on the LAN, it will break since we have depreciated it in favor of the v2 protocol.

The updated v1.4 API should be available at the same time or very soon after the SmartSDR v1.4 release.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2019
    Thank you Tim. The version I'm using was the last posted on the Flex website. It will be interesting to see what changes have been made.
    james
    WD5GWY

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It's taking so long now that like remembering what one was doing when JFK got shot or Elvis or Diana died etc.; we'll remember what we were doing or where we were when 1.4 sees the light of day.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Guy
    I know this is probably meant in jest but the comment reminds me of the time I traveled internationally every week. I would be in the airport and they would announce my flight was delayed and the room would erupt in a **** contest. My comment always was "If the pilots don't want to go up right now, regardless of the reason, I don't want to go up either".

For whatever reason (I am an alpha member and I see how well everything is working right now!), Flex has more they want to do with this release. Do you really want them to release it like that, or what exactly do you want?

I think they are being as open as their experience leads them to judge appropriate. The history of missed dates, etc. is long passed so in my mind their credibility is good.

Hold tight and get on the radio! There is a cw contest on right now and cw is one of the modes that the radio excels in !
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Neal,

Definitely written in jest. I do not mind delays at airports as long as the delay is accurate. If I am going to be delayed for 24 hours that is absolutely fine, it is the not knowing that drives me nuts.

It is the same with hospital stays. I like to know when I am leaving - a few years ago I was hoping to leave, got a complication and was told I would have to stay for 2 weeks - no problem as the 2 weeks was definite (needed 2 weeks of 6 hourly IV meds),  unless the complication 'got me' first.

The last I heard (2-3 weeks ago if my memory serves me well) there was one bug left to squash, then a memory leak (a few days ago) and then refactoring (I think it's called).

TBH, if the software can stay up all night with 8 slices (according to Gerald  a couple of weeks or so ago IIRC), can have a video made and be demonstrated in public, I'd take it now and wait for a bugfix. As you say, everything is working well now. I am happy to take the software on an RC basis and can easily revert to an earlier version if there are issues. I'd even sign an NDA if FRS wanted so some reason. I imagine it is easier to estimate a release date towards the end of a project than mid-way through.

I have never used CW - I intend to get it up to a usable speed and have already bought a nice key as an incentive. Enjoy the contest and have a great weekend.

I am on the radio every day and enjoy it very much.

With best wishes,

Guy

PS I'd even sign an NDA to be told of the expected release date. Even though not in the USA; my regulatory body would regard breaking an NDA VERY seriously and my livelihood would be at risk.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Got to play with 1.4 today at the Yuma hamfest. Also enjoyed a great chat with K5GJ. While the software looks really good, was very stable, and speedy when I used it (on a laptop, too!) I understand there are a few little things left to do for stability. The development team has very good reasons to take their time. I don't think it will be long, now. It does appear to be a very worthwhile update.

The world peace and eradication of poverty modules probably won't make this version, though. So, cool your expectations!

73 from Arizona...
  • Nigel
    Nigel Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Yep 1.4 broke my code.. and it was the protocol change .. never mind ... I just wish my "C" learning curve was not so sharp!  thanks Tim.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.