Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

iPHONE REMOTE OPERATIONS

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I was at our Friday Ham Radio Lunch Bunch group today when somebody asked me to demo to a newbie my Flex 6700 operated remotely from my iPad.

Unfortunately I had left my iPad at home....

So I wondered if I could use an iPhone..  

I had previously discounted the idea because I had had an iPhone 4S with a very small screen which was too small to be usable.  

But I now have an iPhone 6+ which much more screen area.--- so why not give it a try...

I logged into Parallels Access APP on my iPhone, connected to my 6700 and Voila...

Audio came out of the phone and a very clear real time spectrum display appeared on the screen.  I enable the VOX and was able to hand the phone to the newbie to work a QSO.

I was running on the AT&T 4G LTE Network in San Diego.. No significant latency.  No significant dropouts or issues..

The set up is exactly the same as per my iPad setup
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_ipad_operation_of_6000_series_using_parallel_access_app_update_june_17_2014

Of course, I could not leave well enough alone... So we went out to my vehicle, connected the phone through the vehicles bluetooth and continued the QSO...albeit not as clear or as easy to use as the phone itself ...some audio feedback issues.. that I need to work on...

The good news is that I was able to continue to work 20M SSB on the drive home  - hands free.. I usually can hold a frequency especially when not dxing...

So for you guys who are thinking that you might not need V2.0 WAN...

Guess what.. your phone gives you a mobile radio in your hand or your car....

The cool thing is that if you are waiting for the XYL in a Shoe Store (1/2 my life) you can actually be on the phone doing something important...like working DX

Comments

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member
    edited September 2018
    Howard
    That link is coming up as Home Depot

Cheers
    Wayne
    VK4ACN
  • Dave Chavez
    Dave Chavez Member
    edited December 2016

Maybe Howard was at home depot to grab some cable ties for his shack, oh wait he's wireless. Never mind.

Dave

KO5G

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I am curious how much data is eating up your phone's data plan while doing this?

I was wondering about an IPad with the built in LTE and how this would work cost wise on a wireless data plan?/Hotspot.

Data usage would have to be watched carefully?

How big a data plan should I get 3gb 10gb ? hours vs data usage?

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    In the USA, Data Usage is not particularly an issue... I have the $140 AT&T 10GB plan shared among my 4 devices (@$14 per GB)

I have yet to have ever used anywhere near that...so I do not watch my data consumption....

Realistically most of the time, I am near a WIFI hotspot where there is no meter albeit 4G LTE is now faster than WIFI in many locations.

INTERNATIONALLY... a very different issue.. If I were to to use so called bargain AT&T International Plan of $30 for 120MB I would quickly go broke...  (it works out to $250 per GB)

However I always purchase a Local SIM and use a MIFi box to connect at Local Data Rates...

For example when working DX from a Taxi in Bali - the Local SIM Cost me $12 for 2GB of Data...or about $6 per GB... In Spain I paid about $5 per GB.. In France about $10 Per GB, In Thailand $6 Per GB, etc.

In case you are wondering how to use local SIM's... (USA INTERNATIONAL ROAMING RATES @$250 per GB are OUTRAGEOUS ROBBERY) I wrote a position paper

"HOW TO SAVE MONEY A LOT OF MONEY ON INTERNATIONAL ROAMING" which you can find in my Dropbox at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10740053/HOW%20TO%20SAVE%20A%20LOT%20OF%20MONEY%20ON%20INTERNATI...

Hope this answers your question

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    When we're you in Spain? Did you have a good time?
  • K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Howard:  Thanks for the info on IOS remoting.  I downloaded a trial copy of Parallels Access, and after a bit of a tussle finally got it working with my 6700.  Could RX and TX and had it working on JT65.  However, this morning when restarting the computer no matter what I seem to try my Control Panel Sound Setup refuses to see the Parallels speakers.  Says they are not plugged in.  I noted that being discussed in the URL you sent from a few months ago.  Best I can tell my iPad is connected properly, and I can see and control the 6700.  Just cannot seem to get any audio setup that works.  Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks.

73, Tom
    K1FR
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Parallels devices are only connected when ur logged in remotely
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I've been to Spain a dozen times. The last trip was to Mallorca in September 2014 we always have a great time in spain
  • K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks, Howard.  yes was logged in remotely just like last night when all worked fine.  After I sent my post it dawned on me that we had a power outage during the high winds last night.  Since my UPS went south I had been turning the computer off at night.  But, not last night as luck would have it.  Something got corrupted, and a restore (I do restore points and images frequently) got me back in shape.  A new UPS is on the list for tomorrow!

Parallels Access and the iPad are nice.  But, think I will await the Flex LAN/WAN implementations and see how they go.  Happy DXing from EU.

73, Tom
    K1FR
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I tried Parallels from an Android phone a while back but the microphone wasn't working properly.  Has anyone else tried it from an Android with success?

Norm - W7CK

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Tom I would love V2.0 but travels don't wait for software. So for the. Next while ipad and iPhone remote. Is a necessary evil. Absolutely necessary waiting in shoe stores for XYL.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am originally from Cullera, Valencia, just in front of Mallorca if you are looking west!
    It is always great to hear that people visiting are having a good time. The economic meltdown did a number in Spain so it has not been what it was, but it seems that things are slowly recovering! More visitors having a good time will definitely help. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    With the dollar so strong right now, Europe is very attractive to Americans.  We are definitely going back to Spain soon... As usual we will be in France after Dayton in May- to Friedrichshafen again in June. 

September - we be at the apartment we rent  in Paris and the Villa we rent in Provence France - but I might buy a new car at BMW in Munich again so maybe drive to Italy, south of France and Spain... looking at Tesla this week before I decide..

XYL single handedly finances the EURO with her shopping.. with the Strong Dollar and VAT refunds, Shopping is now much less expensive in Europe.

Valencia is a gorgeous City...  This year we hiked in Mallorca up in the mountains.. really great old Roman Road trails but very steep...   XYL is not a beach person.. but i did get to go to at least one beach in Mallorca this time...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.