Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Places where you shouldn't work remote LAN with SSDR version 1.4

Steve W6SDM
Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Okay, we're all waiting for the day when we can abandon our musty little corner of the basement where, up to now, we have had to hang out if we wanted to play ham radio.  Gone are the days when we go out to the garage or that remodeled storage shed in the back yard.  Since laptops or tablets can hardly be deemed "ugly" by the XYL, and there are no wires coming out of them posing an electrocution hazard for kids or family pets, we're allowed to re-join the family and bring our hobby along with us.

However, as hams we aren't known for having exemplary judgement when it comes to social skills.  At hamfests I still see orange Levis with green plaid shirts and attire that looks like Duck Dynasty meets Hobby Lobby.  So, I thought I would get ahead of the game and see if we couldn't help each other with places where it's probably inappropriate to work HF on your favorite mobile device.  Here are a few places/times that I think we should avoid unless we want to see our ham radio fund become part of a divorce settlement:

The dinner table

The bedroom after 10 PM

The bathroom (at any time)

Those are mine.  Go ahead... add a few of your own.

Comments

• Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Trying to work K1N on SSB in the TV room while XYL was attempting to watch a TV show.... DOH!
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Digital and CWSkimmer/CWX, those are the way to go when working remote!

It's nice and quiet and best of all can do it today!
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    By all means I'll avoid working remote in the cockpit of my 37ft Colin Archer ketch Skua. Everybody would think the noise of those 15ft waves to be microphone distortion ;-)
    But the bathroom -I don't think so. No more losing my dx while being there....
    73, Alex DH2ID
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hey Greg,
    That's what headphones, voice keyers and CWX are for!  Then the only interruption to the TV is shouting "GOT HIM!" when you are successful...
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I would say:

While Driving   (At least while in Traffic)

At a Wedding  (During the actual ceremony)

In Church, unless your pastor is another Ham

At the Movies   (Essentially any tablet is just a bigger Cellphone)

At the Shooting Range   (Avoids QSO partner reporting terrorist activity)

and so on, and so on, ...........

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Guilty I have remoted from virtually all those places and a few others even more objectionable to some. I would suggest you don't premake your list until you have tried remoting. You may find that some places that seem objectionable turn out to be the most convenient to work that ATNO.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Don't ever operate remote on your 60th birthday from Times Square after 4 double martinis...just saying
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    When we have a pool party in the summer, if it gets here. I wonder if our guest would be interested to see it work? My wife said don't even think about it, I already did....
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015

I think I will buy one of the new "Internet Of Things" ovens with the big display and log into my 6300...THEN I will be cooking!

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    50 shades of grey playroom
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017
    The delivery room? (A few of us are still young enough to try that one.)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    At Least our Girlfriends ARE!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    BTW... GUILTY AGAIN... Twice

Worked DX remotely from the Delivery last month when my daughter was giving birth to a new grandchild...

Also worked remote from my XYL's hospital room when she was recovering from Back Surgery a couple of weeks ago

Come ON GUYS.. think of somewhere i Have not Remoted from yet!!!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Shortly after the first of the year, I went back up to Juneau, Alaska to visit my daughter, son-in-law and new grandson.  While I was there I worked remote and it was wonderful.  Since bandwidth is always an issue, I do not use apps that display waterfalls.  I have a very simple setup but it allows me to change frequencies, operate my amplifier and antenna matching unit.  What else is there?

Norm - W7CK

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    oh I forgot.  I also worked remote from Israel which was pretty cool.  Especially when my wife was inside a store shopping.  Not many guys want to be inside a shop while the ladies are going thru every item in the store.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Underwater.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Good one Tim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Hey, the gauntlet was thrown down.  I am always up for a challenge. :-)
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Don't count Howard out.  If he hasn't done it yet will probably jump into a pool with a sealed tablet. :-)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Although I have definitely remoted from ship board and dive boats...not underwater yet...

I  am a Scuba Diver.. a water-proof tablet/case would be easy ($$$$) to come by

In fact, I have an underwater case for an iPhone (iGills) that works OK albeit my first one failed at 64' in Hawaii last February but the new case worked very well to 100' in Sint Maarten and Nevis in DEC.

The issue is the Internet connection underwater... The iphone GPS definitely works underwater as we use it to log our dive tracks underwater but I never tried the Internet connection... likely need some sort of external WIFI Antenna

I am intrigued --- Might just put on a wet suit and tanks to try it in my pool....

Now that I think about it more

Very easy to do if I can get WIFI underwater

... Skype via iPhone (using iGills Case) to Base.. use VOX
    Sound would be garbled .. so likely would have to get a bluetooth equipped mask ($$$)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Interestingly enough my first motivation for Remoting was to **** boredom while shopping for Women's clothes and especially SHOES. (Norm ur XYL sounds like mine)

I have spent hours and hours working DX sitting in shoe stores in Paris while the XYL tries on every shoe in the world.. Why can't I skip the shopping..XYL doesn't speak French so she needs me to translate and carry the bags..  I think I even commented on this and on the Flex reflectors a few times from the basement shoe store at Galeries Lafayette

Remoting makes an incredibly unpleasant shopping trip a lot of fun as I can't wait to sit down in the next shoe store and work some Q's  
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Porto-let at Dayton...?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    One needs to wear a HAZMAT suit at Dayton

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.