Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Auto Update

Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Now that we no longer have estimated release dates, it would be handy to give SmartSDR an Auto Update notification so that I can know that I have the lastest update before I start my QSO with that guy that knows everything. :-) 

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Just think the longer it takes for 1.4 to present its gala entrance, the longer we have something to look forward to!

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I question the word "whiners" - more like persistent provocation, almost like they re-located the eHam Flex haters club.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Agreed.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I still hope that Gerald will reconsider and at least give us aproximations. I truely think the vast majority fully supports Flex and understands that the delays are unavoidable.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If one were included, I would expect it to increase the pressure for more frequent releases. It all really depends on how the current owners check for that.

I have many programs that included some auto-update in the last relase and then either stopped releasing updates or did so infrequently it was pointless.

I must admit to hitting this site more often than I normally would, expecting the 1.4 release any day now.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't know about auto-update.  But update notification check upon SSDR startup would be a nice feature.  It would reduce the number of times I need to check the Community just to see if a new update has been announced.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Can they make a screen notification for that?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Or, perhaps, we can thank the whiners for a more thoroughly tested release.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I don't see how. If it were up to the whiners, this stuff would be out as soon as possible or they would whine. Plus, if there were no bugs, they would run out of,reasons to whine. :)
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Yes, Notification is all that I am suggesting. I don't think anybody would want it to upgrade in the background.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015

Has anyone tallied the number of different users who could be classified as a "whiner"? I'd bet it is less than 10. How many 6x Flex users are there, 3-4 hundred? Seems like the perceived amount of whining was blown way out of proportion and, thus, afforded the proper amount of overreaction.

I was unaware a shift in policy was part of the overreaction. Gerald had said he had grown thick-skinned.

• Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There is freedom from potential customers unmet expectations with  the removal of long term update schedules.
    Instead, only users of SmartSDR and purchased radios would receive a notice at the start of the program:
    You are using SmartSDR ver 1.3.8.126    click here to continue
    Alpha ver 1.4.35 available to users with NDA's.      sign in to Alpha forum to download
    Beta ver 1.4.2 available to users with access to beta forum support only.
                                click here to install
    Stable ver 1.3.9 is now available to all users with full support via phone/email/or forum.
                                click here to install

• Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    It would be great to have a community list where whiners are BANNED!
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    What we need are MORE whiners about the whiners!!!!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,
    Agree 100% and take the same approach on some other forums I moderate.  In the long run everyone wins and everyone gets to have their say.   Glad to see you have this policy. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim,

Adding my support too. I also moderate a forum, or rather do not as I let anything through, even stuff that I personally find *very* offensive. Freedom of speech is too important.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.