Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

3DConnexion Controller

Alex_KM5YT
Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in New Ideas

I want to recommend that everyone have a look at the 3DConnexion series of controllers (3Dconnexion.com) and see if they don't think this exceeds all of the comparable "~mouse: hardware in common use. 

I'd really like to see Flex support this gadget!

Alex/KM5YT 

Comments

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    For the price of this FLEX equipment, they probably should support lots of 3rd party devices like this one. Or write an interface where you can plug in any HID, then map any of it's controls to any functions in SSDR.

All that said, I really like the mouse and PC GUI that the radio has all by itself. Adding a bunch of interface hardware starts heading back down the trail to a knob radio!

Especially ridiculous are those DJ music controller boxes interfaced to SSDR or PSDR. Having that mess on your desk really defeats the purpose and intent!

All IMHO of course.

• Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually agree with you about clutter, but think that one might as well go elegantly if
    they are going to have knobs at all.  THAT said, the 6700 could almost be better tagged an 'RF server', as the abstraction level of a multi-user/thread rig loses an intimacy I cherish from my (ancient) childhood - even as it parallels the operating systems I've spent my life with!

Alex/KM5YT
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Sounds like you need a Hallicrafters HQ-170A my friend.

:)

(kidding)
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Alas a (clearly degenerate, acquired via EE, etc.) taste for technical performance won out over the innocent aesthetics of youth:  Loved those old Hallicrafters and started  out with an S-38C.  

But there IS hope:  have a look at the Hilberling PT-8000!
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Ha ha...the Hilberling PT-8000 is the size of a small volkswagen!

I'm going the other direction. My last rig before the FLEX was a TS480 and only the head unit was on my desk. My AMP and the rest of the rig was in a closet!

I get much more thrill now out of the PC interface and capabilities that come with that. Ultimately, I want all the HW (what HW there is left) in a closet somewhere and plugged into my network so I can flip up a laptop from anywhere in my house and operate.

I did love my HQ170A though. When I was 13 in 1978, it was the coolest thing ever.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Nice concept, but a big "OUCH" on the price.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.