Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Some ideas for SmartSDR, easily programmable;-)

Options
DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in New Ideas
Hi, as you are surely aware of, I have been into FlexRadios for quite a bit of time and into SDRs even longer, so I know that you can't just take PowerSDR and build SmartSDR on it. Licence, slices, scaleability issues en masse... But some features I really would appreciate for SmartSDR should be easily programmable and are IMO useful:

1. Setting slice frequency with the mouse wheel after pointing at the numbers (as in PSDR)
2. Showing voltage and temperature at the bottom beside time/date
3. All the buttons on the left (+RX etc.) could also go to the bottom or top, where wide spaces
    are unused.
4. Making fonts and button sizes scaleable.
5. Having a really good audio recorder (I/Q and/or slice audio) for RX and TX.

All settings could be optional.

73, Alex

Comments

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. I do that already. I don't know why others are not able to do this. I think I may be using a windows function to to this. It also works with sliders or whatever the last thing I touched with the mouse.
    2. Like.
    3. I am fine where they are at, I wouldn't be hurt if they were moved.
    4. Meh.
    5. Yes, I would add that I would want to play back the I/Q streams in SSDR. I can do this now by connecting HDSDR to DAX and recording the I/Q and then play it back, but SSDR is far superior so I would prefer to play it back there.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Robert, I wonder how you do 1.? If I put the cursor on the slice memory display and turn the mouse wheel, only the LAST numbers change according to the step setting, whereas in PSDR the numer UNDER the cursor changes, quite a big difference, that :-)
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I see, we are using  the mouse wheel differently. 

I just use the mouse wheel for fine tuning. The slice will move continuously all the way up and down the band if you have the patience to keep scrolling.

You are want to hover over each number and change it like a thumb wheel.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Another idea: A split button which sets a new quick split function which creates a new TX slice with the same settings as the RX one only a preset frequency shifted away, i.e. + 1kHz etc.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you click the +RX in the panadapter it will do everything you requested except designate the slice as the transmit slice.  We purposely make designating transmit a positive user control function (you have to manually set it).
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Dear Tim,

I have a couple of questions related to this thread, I may only need some help or these may be feature requests.

1.     I don't know what you call it, but the main settings windows that normally occupy the far right of the screen are better for me on the left as I sit in that direction relative to the monitor and my old eyes see it better there.

I have no trouble dragging the  group of sub-windows to the left side but it won't stick after closing SmartSDR and opening it again later.

Is there a way to make this stay put?

2.     I like my 6300 but I've never gotten over having a front panel, particularly for fine tuning & volume control.  I've purchased a Tmate 2 and it is an interesting experiment but it still makes me move my hand off the mouse and back.  I presume that the Flex Control will require the same, extra "back-and-forth".  In a rapid fire contest, this slows things down.

I have set the step control for my mouse wheel to 500 Hz. and this works well for landing on top of most signals up and down a band but I still need fine tuning for some things.

Since I have a five button mouse, it occurred to me that a second step size would be extremely useful.  When holding the third mouse "thumb" button and moving the wheel, the second step selection would be used.  I would set this for 10 Hz.

I've looked through the documentation and Community and don't see these features mentioned so I hereby propose them.

If I've just missed them in the literature, please help.

Thanks,

Bob, W7KWS

• LB2EG_Richard
    LB2EG_Richard Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a feature request as an enhancement of the +RX button - eg. as a button function for FlexControl:

As a toggle function; when first chosen, make split,  TX on slice B, put slice A volume on left ear/speaker, and  slice B volume on right ear/speaker.

When chosen next time, as a toggle, remove slice B, TX on slice A, and put volume on slice A into balance.

Great for pile ups!

73 de LB2EG Richard
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bob,

In regards to question #1, yes it is possible.  It is not a feature we have added to the GUI ergonomics as we are focusing our software development resources on the "under the cover" items first. 

Regarding item #2, it is possible to support multi-button mice via software.  You should write up #2 as an Idea post so others can comment on it.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I would like a A>B, B>A and A=B vfo functionality like in psdr. Some times I find myself making s contact on vfoB only to find out that the loging program is taking the vfoA info instead of vfoB where I am TXing. I know this is a limitation of my logging software (hrd 5.24) but it was very useful in the 1500 with powersdr.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You're right, Tim. Of course +RX does set a new panadapter on  a split frequency.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.