Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FreeDV out of 1.4

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Now that it looks like integrated FreeDV will not be released in v1.4, one of the things I was really looking forward to using. Will the other LAN control enhancements make it easier to use the FreeDV program itself using a USB headset on the SSDR computer?

Answers

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Was FreeDV ever mentioned in the roadmap? I don't question that in a negative way, was just surprised to see it planned for 1.4.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yes. "In addition to these features, we have the

FreeDV/CODEC2 digital voice mode (for more background on this mode, you can visit this link:

http://freedv.org), the Waveform API and an improved DAX Control Panel.  Each of these features was covered in detail in the last FlexInsider". 

FreeDV and the Waveform functionality have been pulled as per the recent announcement..
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, I did note that it was mentioned in the recent announcement but was not aware it was detailed in the October FlexInsider. Looked at the published roadmap and saw nothing there so thanks for calling it to my attention.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    FreeDV and the open SmartSDR Waveform Interface were never in any published roadmap.  We first spoke of it at the TAPR DCC conference last September.  We also covered it in the Flex Insider after the DCC announcement.  It is almost done but we won't hold v1.4 if it is not ready by the time the other portions of the release are ready.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    FreeDV and the open SmartSDR Waveform Interface were never in any published roadmap.  We first spoke of it at the TAPR DCC conference last September.  We also covered it in the Flex Insider after the DCC announcement.  It is almost done but we won't hold v1.4 if it is not ready by the time the other portions of the release are ready.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, I remember it being mentioned as a "we hope to be able to include this" addition, but never on the roadmap.  And I certainly agree - don't delay the rest of 1.4 because this new experimental (but potentially FUN piece) isn't ready!  

I don't mind hearing "We are trying to add this function to the next update" even if at some point it has to be said, "Oops, this was bigger than we have time to finish this time."   Because it helps me dream about the future.  But that is my personality.  Others hear those "hopes" and interpret them as a firm contract, which they never were.

I can wait for a point release or for v.1.5 for Waveform API implementation.  Even then, I would rather have killer DSP improvements (NB, NR, ANF, etc.) in 1.5 than the Waveform API and native FreeDV.  

Waveform API implementation will be "super cool" and I will be learning C# in order too help me play with it, but I see it as a lower priority than the DSP "science project."

Just my 2 cents....
    Keep up the good work!

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.