Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR v1.4 Update Posted

Comments

• Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    At last Gerald. You shot back.  Do you get it now?   Stop listening to the Mob!

With this 2nd delay I'm betting as I have stated elsewhere, you're going to have to raise prices above what you have projected on the major software upgrades.   Software development is expensive!!!! And Hard. You know this better than I!

Don't wait. Announce a price rise on Smart SDR Version  2.0 now. And announce that V. 2 will be out when your team gets it done.    And then don't say anything until you release it. No further comment. 

You'll be better off. Though there will be no less whining from the user base. They can't help it.

Mike/WA4D
    wa4d.net 

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I'll guarantee, many of you were a whiners before you ever heard of Flex Radio.  This is just the latest snit.

• mw0pic
    mw0pic Member
    edited March 2015
    Touche!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Ernest

Keep in Touch
  • mw0pic
    mw0pic Member
    edited March 2015

I do blame myself Burt.

I made a serious error of judgment based on my previous good experience with Flex . I only want FM.

73 Bob

• mw0pic
    mw0pic Member
    edited March 2015

No need to shout Burt .

Do you want to make an offer.

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    grow up dude
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    That would be counter productive and destructive. I'd keep the price the same and limit/shorten the life of v2 (which of course nobody has a clue about so it cannot do and harm).
  • James Whiteway
    edited January 2015
    I'm happy as long as v1.4 doesn't break my "super secret" app I'm working on! Ok, just kidding! All mode means to me AM,SSB,CW(and FM on newer rigs). But, seriously, I am looking forward to v1.5 and SmartSDR reaching parity with PowerSDR. Once the DSP (NB,ANF,TNF) work as well as they do in PowerSDR, I'll be a happy camper. But, no rush otherwise, as I know the API will change and force me to rework all my code.(borrowed and my own creation) Fun, fun guys! It's just a radio and quite enjoyable as it is. my .02 James WD5GWY
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Gerald, keep the faith you have one of the best radios in the world. I have all the faith in the world that v1.4 will probably be the greatest revision ever. Love my 6500.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    G4YDO... you obviously do not remember Apple releasing the iPhones with defective antenna designs....
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Howard....Or the Lisa, or the Apple Newton, or....   :-)  

I still buy Apple products even with these (few) failures.  They still make some of the best products on the market.  This the same reason I bought the 3000 and the 6300 from Flex Radio.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Howard....Or the Lisa, or the Apple Newton, or....   :-)  

I still buy Apple products even with these (few) failures.  They still make some of the best products on the market.  This the same reason I bought the 3000 and the 6300 from Flex Radio.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the update Gerald! No complaints here, looking forward to 1.4 when it is ready. :)

By the way, Apple is super-secret, but Microsoft has gone way public with their Office 365 roadmap.  They just push out new features as they become ready.  See how they do their roadmap here (in case it gives you any ideas): http://roadmap.office.com/en-us

-Robbie KI4TTZ
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Also, "Apple pulls iOS 8.0.1 after users report major problems with update."  I still haven't update my iPad.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6839235/apple-ios-8-0-1-released
    http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-releases-ios-8-0-1-a-week-after-ios-8-launch/

• Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    Oh, and I love my iPad.  I carry it with me everywhere I go.  I am the only person left on the planet who does not own a smart phone.  I see no need when I carry an iPad because I can read and type on the iPad.  Who makes phone calls anymore.

My iPad fell out of the car and cracked the glass last week.  I was very sad.  Still work though.  Note that when you drop an iPad it often damages the WiFi antenna so that you don't get much range anymore.  That happened to me months ago.  

I still love my iPad and will buy a newer one soon.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    Bob, you will get FM.  Promise - cross my heart and hope to die as used to say as kids. Used it myself at home on a FLEX-6700 with alpha releases last fall.  East coast repeaters were coming in to Texas like gang busters on 10m.  

To my knowledge, FlexRadio has never used the term "all mode" in any of our official corporate communications.  That would be **** because a true "all mode" radio does not exist out of the box anywhere.  
  • Jim Best
    Jim Best Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What a bunch of rude cry babies.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Thanks Gerald. 
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Perhaps those who have a commercial interest in seeing that feature 'x' or component 'y' is released by a certain date can provide onsite engineering resources in order to facilitate the completion of the project according to their particular priorities and schedule.  I work in the software industry as well and this would not be an unprecedented outcome.  

Those of us without a commercial interest in the next release might do well recognize that a roar without a corresponding incremental revenue stream is not the roar of a lion but of a mouse and adjust their tone accordingly.  

Finally, let's not forget that if we sufficiently annoy a sole proprietor, he is free to sell his operation to any interested party (cough, cough, MFJ) and move on to other pursuits.  How responsive do you think the new owner would be?
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    As a new owner but the developer of several software packages and lead on several major projects I found the one thing I could ill afford was the "RUSH TO FAILURE" mode that seemed to come out as the time line got shorter. While I to would like the new version of software have been out yesterday it's not practical to release it only to have to patch it next month because you missed a critical bug. I'll continue to use, explore and be delighted with my 6500. I also learned a long time ago that "If your willing  to **** you MUST be part of the solution"

noun
    1.a means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation.

If we are not part of the development team, Alpha testers, Beta Testers then I assume my job as part of the solution is to wait quietly unless asked to preform some other duty... I for one would love to do Beta testing and be a bigger part of the team. 

Best regards to the development team
    Waiting patiently

Dan KC4GO 
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2019
    Too tired tonight to write this but I will tomorrow.  It starts off like this...

A guy walks into the bar and says, "Gimme a ****, bartender."  Bartender asks, "How's it going, Joe?"  Joe says, "My wife is at the hospital birthin a baby."  Bartender, "Huh, why aren't you there with her?"  Joe, "Oh, there ain't nuthin to birthin babies.  Doc said it'd be here by mornin."  

More tomorrow after a cup of java.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Ha!!

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Thanks Gerald for the info..  Look forward to the new software when it is ready..

73s Jim K4JAF

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Burt - your banter with Bob is getting too personal and is not constructive to this post.  Please refrain from further comments of this nature.  Thank you. 
  • Bill N5TU
    Bill N5TU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Thank you so much, Gerald.  I am eager to see version 1.4 when it is ready for "prime time."

73, Bill, N5TU

• Bill N5TU
    Bill N5TU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I didn't know you guys were writing in Java.  <grin>

Bill, N5TU

• George - AB4FH
    edited May 2020
    Gerald,
    Thanks for the update.  I'm still glad that I got a 6700.  I use it daily and am very pleased with it.  Good luck on getting the kinks worked out of v1.4.  BTW, a friend of mine who was the head of electronics development for the department that I managed, once likened development to a sack full of venomous snakes.  He said, you beat on the sack until you felt safe enough to put your hand in it. LOL

This discussion has been closed.